Anxiety before law school...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cranberry

Anxiety before law school...

Postby cranberry » Thu May 20, 2010 5:55 pm

has anyone else dealt with this? it's hitting me pretty hard right now. i'm really anxious about starting school in the fall... not just moving and getting settled, but relaxing enough to get into the rigors of the program, studying, and all the responsibility of trying to find a summer job, then ultimately worrying about the bar exam, c&f, etc.

is anyone else stressed out?

JWicker10

Re: Anxiety before law school...

Postby JWicker10 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Wow, you haven't even started and you're worried about the bar?! As a fellow 0L I'd recommend relaxing and taking things one step at a time. This is your last few months before law school, enjoy it. The calm before the storm, if you will.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu May 20, 2010 8:55 pm

Straight up, I think a lot of the things that are said on here are exaggerated. It does require a lot of work to do well in law school, there is no doubt about that, but youre not going to be reading and outlining 23 hours a day for 4 straight months. You will have time to do stuff and live your life. Most succesful students will tell you its not how much or how long you study, its how well and efficiently you study.

Just relax. You're in a good position. Think of it this way, at least you're not unemployed and having to worry about feeding your children and paying your mortgage and bills. Thats the reality of millions of people in the country right now. You'll be fine.

Good luck!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 20, 2010 9:42 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Yes, I'm also very stressed out. I just try not to let it get to me every day, which can be challenging. Just enjoy this summer.

It's like trying to forget about an ex lol.

Don't forget about orientation before classes begin, which most law schools consider "mandatory". I'm sure that will def. help relieve some stress.

jpthomes

Postby jpthomes » Fri May 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Most definitely I am, but that is just motivating me to enjoy my final summer of freedom as much as humanly possible. I just try to remember that it's just hard work and I'll adapt.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:08 pm

cranberry wrote:has anyone else dealt with this? it's hitting me pretty hard right now. i'm really anxious about starting school in the fall... not just moving and getting settled, but relaxing enough to get into the rigors of the program, studying, and all the responsibility of trying to find a summer job, then ultimately worrying about the bar exam, c&f, etc.

I can feel you on this. My family and friends keep asking me if I'm excited to start. My short answer: "No, I'm absolutely terrified." It's the truth. There's so much money riding on this that it seems like everything could either go so right or I could just end up totally screwed. I think mid-way through the summer this will probably change but for now I'm just really intimidated by the fact that I'll be attending a school where my LSAT already places me below the median. I guess we'll find out in a year.

I'm a worrier though. It's what I do.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 12:40 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
cranberry wrote:has anyone else dealt with this? it's hitting me pretty hard right now. i'm really anxious about starting school in the fall... not just moving and getting settled, but relaxing enough to get into the rigors of the program, studying, and all the responsibility of trying to find a summer job, then ultimately worrying about the bar exam, c&f, etc.

I can feel you on this. My family and friends keep asking me if I'm excited to start. My short answer: "No, I'm absolutely terrified." It's the truth. There's so much money riding on this that it seems like everything could either go so right or I could just end up totally screwed. I think mid-way through the summer this will probably change but for now I'm just really intimidated by the fact that I'll be attending a school where my LSAT already places me below the median. I guess we'll find out in a year.

I'm a worrier though. It's what I do.

Some unsolicited advice, stop thinking like this.

There is something to be said for self filling proficacy and adding more stress then you need. If you go to LS and do great, great nothing to worry about, but if you go in with the mindset that if you don't end up in the top of the your class, and you have a rough first semester it can lead to you condemning yourself to failer before you even begin. You're going to LS, you will be OK, its not the end of the world if you're not number 1 in your class, but it can seriously affect your abitiles to get back on the horse if you don't end up in that spot. I.e. I'm median after first semester i'm doomed so why try. Forget that shit, go to law school and do the best you can and that's the best you can do.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Exercise, walk along a beach, read, volunteer at a food bank. Occupy your mind with worthwhile endeavors over which you have some control. Volunteer at an animal shelter or for a social services agency and your anxieties will dissipate as your concern for others grows.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 21, 2010 12:50 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Exercise, walk along a beach, read, volunteer at a food bank. Occupy your mind with worthwhile endeavors over which you have some control. Volunteer at an animal shelter or for a social services agency and your anxieties will dissipate as your concern for others grows.

or get some Xanax.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Okay, but try to run, ride a bike or walk a shelter dog to the drugstore when filling the prescription.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri May 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Wolf,

I like the shelter recommendation. While the OP is free to feel anxious, there are greater problems out there. Volunteering at a shelter will definitely open some eyes and give the OP some perspective.

Return to “Law School FAQ”