Best softs

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sdcard
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 2:48 am

Best softs

Postby sdcard » Thu May 20, 2010 2:55 am

The general consensus is that Peace Corps, military duty, TFA, etc... are one of the soft factors that stands out among others.

In South Korea, military duty is obligatory; however, I can still choose what type of duty I want to join. And the Marine Corps is the most difficult one. So my question is, if I join the South Korean Marine Corps, would this help as much as it would if I had joined the U.S. Army? Or certainly less?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 19353
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby bk1 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:34 am

I have no idea how much more difficult the Marine Corps compares to the other branches, but the boost you get from it will likely not be very large. If the Marine Corps is significantly more difficult then I doubt it is worth the tradeoff.

WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby WWAD » Thu May 20, 2010 11:28 am

I worked with the ROC Marines, they are tough. I think doing the service you feel most comfortable with is best. It is unique either way. That's what is important. Also, you may have bigger worries right now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100520/ap_ ... ship_sinks

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Best softs

Postby Pearalegal » Thu May 20, 2010 11:29 am

There was that dude who founded a city awhile back.

User avatar
tarheelz
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby tarheelz » Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 am

what if you got straight A's at MIT and didn't even need to attend class? you were just that good.

WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby WWAD » Thu May 20, 2010 7:28 pm

Overthrow an evil dictator single handed.

Save children and puppies from an orphanage fire.

Solve the problems with cold fusion.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Best softs

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu May 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Pearalegal wrote:There was that dude who founded a city awhile back.


A year later and I am still waiting for that guy to come back and explain himself. I'm dying to know

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu May 20, 2010 7:37 pm

tarheelz wrote:what if you got straight A's at MIT and didn't even need to attend class? you were just that good.


Or you were the janitor at said school and solved complex equations on the blackboards in your spare time.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 13984
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby gdane » Thu May 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Oh lord. There was a topic very similar to this that floated around here a few days ago...


The general rule is that the more unique your soft is, the stronger it is. Its difficult to say what the "bests" softs are because its all so subjective. An admissions committee at UVA or Penn might be really impressed with you publishing a critically acclaimed book, but an admisssion committee at Harvard or Yale may not feel the same.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby Drake014 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Clearly those are the best two softs you can have.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 19353
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby bk1 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:51 am

Drake014 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Clearly those are the best two softs you can have.


If the school you are applying to doesn't do interviews, how would you work this into your app?

User avatar
GIBilled
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby GIBilled » Fri May 21, 2010 1:09 am

Softs mean nothing. Good luck!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby Grizz » Fri May 21, 2010 3:36 am

WWAD wrote:Overthrow an evil dictator single handed.

Save children and puppies from an orphanage fire.

Solve the problems with cold fusion.


1. Overthrow evil dictator
2. Become evil dictator
3. Forget lawl school
4. ???
5. PROFIT

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Best softs

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Fri May 21, 2010 3:43 am

Donating a kidney is a good soft. Not something you'd do just to have a great soft. But I met someone who did that... and it seemed to help him out quite a bit.


Hahahahahaha... and if anyone ever did that just to get a great soft to write about they are out of their f%&#ing mind.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Best softs

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:11 am

I was thinking about putting up some device to cause a child to trip into the street in front of a car and then i'll jump out behind a bush and grab the kid and save him. Even if I have to get hit by the car I saw on Manswers that if you jump into the windshield with your back you can get out of a car crash relatively unhurt. And then i'll write about how I saved someones life in hopes of getting into yale.

WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby WWAD » Fri May 21, 2010 3:32 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I was thinking about putting up some device to cause a child to trip into the street in front of a car and then i'll jump out behind a bush and grab the kid and save him. Even if I have to get hit by the car I saw on Manswers that if you jump into the windshield with your back you can get out of a car crash relatively unhurt. And then i'll write about how I saved someones life in hopes of getting into yale.


I tried that, but my timing was always a little off. After loosing 4 kids I decided to volunteer at a soup kitchen.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Best softs

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:36 pm

WWAD wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I was thinking about putting up some device to cause a child to trip into the street in front of a car and then i'll jump out behind a bush and grab the kid and save him. Even if I have to get hit by the car I saw on Manswers that if you jump into the windshield with your back you can get out of a car crash relatively unhurt. And then i'll write about how I saved someones life in hopes of getting into yale.


I tried that, but my timing was always a little off. After loosing 4 kids I decided to volunteer at a soup kitchen.


Have you tried putting big pieces of bone into the soup so someone starts choking and then you jump out and give them the heimlich? That seems like another solid plan.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby Drake014 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:58 pm

bk1 wrote:If the school you are applying to doesn't do interviews, how would you work this into your app?


Doesn't matter. I know plenty of guys going to law school just so they can get softs like those. Once you have it, no need to worry about anything. Success will find you.

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Fri May 21, 2010 6:30 pm

GIBilled wrote:Softs mean nothing. Good luck!


100% false

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Best softs

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:37 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
GIBilled wrote:Softs mean nothing. Good luck!


100% false


Yes. But only false in the sense that bad softs (bad PS, no WE, bad LORs) can screw you. Great ones don't help you.

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby TheBigMediocre » Fri May 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Have you tried putting big pieces of bone into the soup so someone starts choking and then you jump out and give them the heimlich? That seems like another solid plan.



Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby Drake014 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:25 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
GIBilled wrote:Softs mean nothing. Good luck!


100% false


Yes. But only false in the sense that bad softs (bad PS, no WE, bad LORs) can screw you. Great ones don't help you.


Eh, depends on the soft. But generally, they don't do much.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby Mattalones » Fri May 21, 2010 11:02 pm

GIBilled wrote:Softs mean nothing. Good luck!

-1
SaintClarence27 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
100% false


Yes. But only false in the sense that bad softs (bad PS, no WE, bad LORs) can screw you. Great ones don't help you.

If most applicants don't have WE and you have great WE it does much more than "not hurt you." This has to be one of the most negative things I've read in a while ... GL w/life :lol:

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Best softs

Postby clintonius » Sat May 22, 2010 12:23 am

There's just not as much of a "no w/e vs great w/e" divide as you might expect. Tons of people have worked some, and not many people have worked a job so great that it's a game-changer.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Best softs

Postby Hey-O » Sat May 22, 2010 12:49 am

rad law wrote:
WWAD wrote:Overthrow an evil dictator single handed.

Save children and puppies from an orphanage fire.

Solve the problems with cold fusion.


1. Overthrow evil dictator
2. Become evil dictator
3. Forget lawl school
4. ???
5. PROFIT


This reference is driving me crazy. I know that ??? profit thing is from something and it is on the tip of my brain but I can't remember what it is. A cartoon?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests