Page 1 of 1

When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 pm
by BlueCivic
I'm figuring out how to make rent, etc. Does the money come at the beginning of September (if that's when classes start); does it depend on the school? Any insight would be appreciated.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:43 pm
by BlueCivic
Thanks to all for voting on my joke-ish poll. Do any voters know the answer to the question? :wink:

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:27 am
by BlueCivic
Ha. Somebody! When do the loan payments come? Early in September? Late in September? Help! I don't want to resort to actual research.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:39 am
by MU10
I think it's common to get your loans the first week of actual class. I've seen many warnings about having to buy first semester books without loan money.

In other words, yea I think it depends on the school.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:23 am
by trialjunky
I believe it a federal law that schools can only give you money when classes have started. So, you get your money on the first day of class. Back in the day, you got your money a whole month early.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 am
by Vegas_Rebel
trialjunky wrote:I believe it a federal law that schools can only give you money when classes have started. So, you get your money on the first day of class. Back in the day, you got your money a whole month early.


At UNLV, during undergrad, we often got our money the week or so prior to class starting.

At any rate, all the pre-law-school bills like rent and what not are probably going to have to get charged / paid in cash and then you can pay off that debt with your law school money.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:50 pm
by ram jam
It depends on the expediency of the school. But you will get the loan money either the first Friday of classes or the second Friday of classes. You will only receive half of the loan money awarded. You will receive the other half in mid-January.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm
by sumus romani
I envy those who don't know anything about how this works :oops: . Still, I did graduatuate undergrad with just below the national average for college graduates, but I still would rather know nothing about the process.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:15 am
by SwollenMonkey
Plan to survive the first month on your own.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:02 am
by Birdman
.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:02 am
by MsBigBad
We don't get our loan money until a week after classes start (assuming they don't of course lose your paperwork)
On the bright-side weight loss should be significantly easier to manage with a lack of groceries and excess spending cash.... :roll:

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:06 am
by trialjunky
MsBigBad wrote:We don't get our loan money until a week after classes start (assuming they don't of course lose your paperwork)
On the bright-side weight loss should be significantly easier to manage with a lack of groceries and excess spending cash.... :roll:


TITCR, call it the federal weight loss program

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:10 am
by jbarl1
MU10 wrote:I think it's common to get your loans the first week of actual class. I've seen many warnings about having to buy first semester books without loan money.

In other words, yea I think it depends on the school.



I know some schools will add the price of your books to your student bill if you purchase them at the campus book store, meaning you can use your loans to pay for them and everything else on your bill when they come through.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:13 am
by BriaTharen
A call to the financial aid office of my university said that federal aid (Stafford loans) is dispersed 10 days before class starts.

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:20 am
by trialjunky
JessicaTiger wrote:A call to the financial aid office of my university said that federal aid (Stafford loans) is dispersed 10 days before class starts.



Damn you & your school and damn my shittty school...they told me I wouldnt get it until the 1st day of classes :-(

Also, I got pulled for verification for my information...so, I have no clue how much finaid they're giving me. fml

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:06 am
by SwollenMonkey
trialjunky wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:A call to the financial aid office of my university said that federal aid (Stafford loans) is dispersed 10 days before class starts.



Damn you & your school and damn my shittty school...they told me I wouldnt get it until the 1st day of classes :-(

Also, I got pulled for verification for my information...so, I have no clue how much finaid they're giving me. fml


I got pulled, too! What can it mean?

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:58 am
by trialjunky
SwollenMonkey wrote:
trialjunky wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:A call to the financial aid office of my university said that federal aid (Stafford loans) is dispersed 10 days before class starts.



Damn you & your school and damn my shittty school...they told me I wouldnt get it until the 1st day of classes :-(

Also, I got pulled for verification for my information...so, I have no clue how much finaid they're giving me. fml


I got pulled, too! What can it mean?


THAT THEY HATE US!! lol, I'm not worried I was truthful onmy fafsa...it just makes things so much longer