When do we get our moneys from the loans? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Are you excited to get your loans moneys?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 43

BlueCivic

Bronze

When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Post by BlueCivic » Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I'm figuring out how to make rent, etc. Does the money come at the beginning of September (if that's when classes start); does it depend on the school? Any insight would be appreciated.

BlueCivic

Bronze

Re: When do we get our moneys from the loans?

Post by BlueCivic » Wed May 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks to all for voting on my joke-ish poll. Do any voters know the answer to the question? :wink:

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Thu May 20, 2010 12:27 am

Ha. Somebody! When do the loan payments come? Early in September? Late in September? Help! I don't want to resort to actual research.

MU10

New

Post by MU10 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:39 am

I think it's common to get your loans the first week of actual class. I've seen many warnings about having to buy first semester books without loan money.

In other words, yea I think it depends on the school.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu May 20, 2010 7:23 am

I believe it a federal law that schools can only give you money when classes have started. So, you get your money on the first day of class. Back in the day, you got your money a whole month early.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 am

trialjunky wrote:I believe it a federal law that schools can only give you money when classes have started. So, you get your money on the first day of class. Back in the day, you got your money a whole month early.
At UNLV, during undergrad, we often got our money the week or so prior to class starting.

At any rate, all the pre-law-school bills like rent and what not are probably going to have to get charged / paid in cash and then you can pay off that debt with your law school money.

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:50 pm

It depends on the expediency of the school. But you will get the loan money either the first Friday of classes or the second Friday of classes. You will only receive half of the loan money awarded. You will receive the other half in mid-January.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm

I envy those who don't know anything about how this works :oops: . Still, I did graduatuate undergrad with just below the national average for college graduates, but I still would rather know nothing about the process.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:15 am

Plan to survive the first month on your own.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:02 am

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MsBigBad

New

Post by MsBigBad » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:02 am

We don't get our loan money until a week after classes start (assuming they don't of course lose your paperwork)
On the bright-side weight loss should be significantly easier to manage with a lack of groceries and excess spending cash.... :roll:

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:06 am

MsBigBad wrote:We don't get our loan money until a week after classes start (assuming they don't of course lose your paperwork)
On the bright-side weight loss should be significantly easier to manage with a lack of groceries and excess spending cash.... :roll:
TITCR, call it the federal weight loss program

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:10 am

MU10 wrote:I think it's common to get your loans the first week of actual class. I've seen many warnings about having to buy first semester books without loan money.

In other words, yea I think it depends on the school.

I know some schools will add the price of your books to your student bill if you purchase them at the campus book store, meaning you can use your loans to pay for them and everything else on your bill when they come through.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:13 am

A call to the financial aid office of my university said that federal aid (Stafford loans) is dispersed 10 days before class starts.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:20 am

JessicaTiger wrote:A call to the financial aid office of my university said that federal aid (Stafford loans) is dispersed 10 days before class starts.

Damn you & your school and damn my shittty school...they told me I wouldnt get it until the 1st day of classes :-(

Also, I got pulled for verification for my information...so, I have no clue how much finaid they're giving me. fml

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:06 am

trialjunky wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:A call to the financial aid office of my university said that federal aid (Stafford loans) is dispersed 10 days before class starts.

Damn you & your school and damn my shittty school...they told me I wouldnt get it until the 1st day of classes :-(

Also, I got pulled for verification for my information...so, I have no clue how much finaid they're giving me. fml
I got pulled, too! What can it mean?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:58 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

I got pulled, too! What can it mean?
THAT THEY HATE US!! lol, I'm not worried I was truthful onmy fafsa...it just makes things so much longer

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”