Windows XP v Windows 7: Which One for Law School?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thesealocust

Re: Windows XP v Windows 7: Which One for Law School?

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat May 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Glad to hear so many people standing by Windows 7. I am in a similar position - I have a 4 year old laptop with Windows XP (which I love), but I need a new laptop and I have been worried about making the move to Windows 7 (since Vista sucked so badly, and I assume they are pretty much the same).

The only thing I can say is definitely don't upgrade to Windows 7 on an older laptop - you are going better hardware to run it smoothly, I think.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sat May 22, 2010 9:06 pm

--ImageRemoved--

OSX

Seriously why mess with windows at all if you're worried about crashes?

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Sat May 22, 2010 9:11 pm

James Bond wrote:--ImageRemoved--

OSX

Perhaps because Macs cost 2x what they're worth and OP doesn't want to fiddle with Linux.

texas man

Postby texas man » Sat May 22, 2010 9:13 pm

James Bond wrote:OSX

ExamSoft

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat May 22, 2010 9:29 pm

All these "what X is best for law school" threads are pretty silly imo.

That said, Windows 7 is damn good. OSX is nice, but if you dont want to worry about installing bootcamp to use examsoft (which means you'd need a version of windows anyway), go ahead and get a windows 7 laptop.

p.s. thinkpads are pretty great laptops.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat May 22, 2010 10:08 pm

traehekat wrote:Windows 7 (since Vista sucked so badly, and I assume they are pretty much the same)

Not even close. They trimmed all the excess off Windows 7, most importantly in the kernel, which was hugely bloated and a big reason why Vista sucked so badly.

7 and Vista aren't even in the same universe.

wreckem

Postby wreckem » Sun May 23, 2010 2:31 pm

OSX

Thats complete bunk and you know it.

Mac's crash. They have either the gray screen of death or the beach ball from hell. Mac's have been crashing more and more over the past several years.

The Spring 2010 MacBook Pro's have pretty wide spread crashing/freezing issues, the 2009 had isolated issues as well.

And Quality Control has definitely gone down hill on Mac's as well. The thing is Apple rarely admits defects. Any defects take months and months(in some instances, years) before Apple will admit to it and fix them. I would be hesitant to suggest a 2010 i5/i7 MBP to anyone until Apple completely addresses the freezing/crashing issue on them. More so if their school requires ExamSoft.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun May 23, 2010 2:44 pm

wreckem wrote:

OSX

Mac's crash. They have either the gray screen of death or the beach ball from hell. Mac's have been crashing more and more over the past several years.

The Spring 2010 MacBook Pro's have pretty wide spread crashing/freezing issues, the 2009 had isolated issues as well.

And Quality Control has definitely gone down hill on Mac's as well. The thing is Apple rarely admits defects. Any defects take months and months(in some instances, years) before Apple will admit to it and fix them. I would be hesitant to suggest a 2010 i5/i7 MBP to anyone until Apple completely addresses the freezing/crashing issue on them. More so if their school requires ExamSoft.

The 09 MBP's have serious issues with the beach ball of death...especially when you go on any site with flash.

mikehoe

Postby mikehoe » Sun May 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Windows 7. if u really need XP, Win7 has a XP mode.

texas man

Postby texas man » Sun May 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
wreckem wrote:
James Bond wrote:OSX

The 09 MBP's have serious issues with the beach ball of death...especially when you go on any site with flash.

This post has nothing to do with Apple, MacBooks, or OSX.

RickyMack

Postby RickyMack » Tue May 25, 2010 1:53 am

GermX wrote: I would visit some random website to download a patch for a video game and instant trojan attacks left and right. Sometimes I wouldn't even have to do anything and I would get an attack.

lawls, "patch" from a "random" website...i think you really mean to say "crack" from a "warez" website. don't go to shady websites and start clicking on random links and you won't get hit from viruses.

people get hit by viruses, phishers, keyloggers and the like because they click random links, open crack and key generator executables, get updates from 3rd parties rather than official developers and all kinds of other ignorant means.

even when you get a message from a friend that inserts spy or other malware because they themselves got hit with a virus, the comments are obviously out of character so they're easy to avoid. if you're reasonably aware and have all your sensitive data backed up you really don't need to worry too much about security. if you do compromise your system, if you're smart and have everything you need backed up then reimaging/reformating can be done relatively painlessly.

Fast_Fingers

Postby Fast_Fingers » Tue May 25, 2010 1:56 am

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx
$65 for an upgrade to Pro.

If your laptop's relatively modern, and especially if it has an integrated graphics card, go 7. It's just so much faster getting stuff open and being stable.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Tue May 25, 2010 11:55 am

I just got a MacBook Pro and put Windows 7 on it with Bootcamp - no problems at all so far. (Just a plug!)

That being said, go Windows 7. XP is nine years old.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue May 25, 2010 12:04 pm

read the directions for upgrading, a real PIA. For the cost, purchasing a new laptop is a no-brainer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -windows-7

Return to “Law School FAQ”