Windows XP v Windows 7: Which One for Law School? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
texas man

Bronze

Windows XP v Windows 7: Which One for Law School?

Post by texas man » Wed May 19, 2010 11:09 am

Do you recommend using Windows XP or Windows 7 in law school?

Please give reasoning for your preference. Thanks!

yeff

Bronze

Re: Windows XP v Windows 7: Which One for Law School?

Post by yeff » Wed May 19, 2010 11:24 am

What's the situation? Are you buying a new computer regardless of operating system, or do you have an XP laptop you're considering upgrading?

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Wed May 19, 2010 11:33 am

yeff wrote:What's the situation? Are you buying a new computer regardless of operating system, or do you have an XP laptop you're considering upgrading?
I currently have XP and am considering upgrading. Should I?

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 am

how old is your computer?

TheReignmaker

New

Post by TheReignmaker » Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 am

In the same boat. I have an HP Compaq laptop that runs XP pro. I always assumed it would be able to handle whatever, even though it's like 3 years old. Is there major software you have to run on these things?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Wed May 19, 2010 11:58 am

yeff wrote:how old is your computer?
It's three years old - but if there are benefits from Windows 7 (security, footprint, speed, etc) then I'd seriously consider getting a new computer with 7. Keep in mind, I am interested in the advantages/disadvantages of Windows 7 as an operating system versus XP; these differences will determine my decision to get a new computer, so for the sake of this question, consider the computer to be a new pc of your choice with the specs of your choice.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

It's only 80 bucks to upgrade to Windows 7. Do it. Its so much more secure and safe. Windows XP is seriously horrible, and you don't want to get a trojan or something just days before your final.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:57 pm

GermX wrote:It's only 80 bucks to upgrade to Windows 7. Do it. Its so much more secure and safe. Windows XP is seriously horrible, and you don't want to get a trojan or something just days before your final.

This is bullshit.

XP is a fine, light wait operating system. Don't bother upgrading, it's a mess to do. On a three year old laptop 7 will probably run fairly slowly.

slowdiver

New

Post by slowdiver » Wed May 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Once you're registered for school, you'll likely get a discount at your IT or Bookstore on a Windows 7 upgrade. I go to a public school and got the Ultimate upgrade for $10. If you can wait until you qualify, you'll save money, and it's a good idea to backup and wipe your hard drive anyway, so you can be sure you've got a clean, stable computer when you're starting out. Windows 7 has a lot of good security features that are worth the upgrade, and I've found the stability and ease of use to be much better than XP or Vista. Highly recommend the upgrade.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Desert, why don't you try Windows 7 then talk? When I had Xp, I would visit some random website to download a patch for a video game and instant trojan attacks left and right. Sometimes I wouldn't even have to do anything and I would get an attack. The fact is, XP has WAY too many trojans and viruses that completely obliterate your PC and you will have to invest so much money on security just to keep it running.

Windows 7? Not so much. So far, not a single trojan/virus and it so successfully blocks everything. Its an outstanding operating system. Seriously OP, get it.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 19, 2010 1:13 pm

XP crashed my laptop in the middle of my first semester. I hadn't backed up anything at that point (I know, I'm an idiot) and I had LRW assignments due. I ended up having to spend about $300 to "rush" the laptop repair. After that, I got the "blue screen of death" about three more times - and it was all XP related. Switched to Windows 7 and haven't had a problem since.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed May 19, 2010 1:15 pm

GermX wrote:Desert, why don't you try Windows 7 then talk? When I had Xp, I would visit some random website to download a patch for a video game and instant trojan attacks left and right. Sometimes I wouldn't even have to do anything and I would get an attack. The fact is, XP has WAY too many trojans and viruses that completely obliterate your PC and you will have to invest so much money on security just to keep it running.

Windows 7? Not so much. So far, not a single trojan/virus and it so successfully blocks everything. Its an outstanding operating system. Seriously OP, get it.
Limewire ftl bro

edit: I've run xp since release and never had a virus.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:17 pm

GermX wrote:Desert, why don't you try Windows 7 then talk? When I had Xp, I would visit some random website to download a patch for a video game and instant trojan attacks left and right. Sometimes I wouldn't even have to do anything and I would get an attack. The fact is, XP has WAY too many trojans and viruses that completely obliterate your PC and you will have to invest so much money on security just to keep it running.

lol that's not how desert operates. Look at his # of posts. :-p

Windows 7 is great. Its side-by-side window feature alone makes it worth getting. Add in the many other improvements, such as the improved security and you have a compelling reason to upgrade.

That being said, if you have a 3 year old computer, it may be so crappy and old that Windows 7 will be sluggish. It may be worth $500 to just buy a new computer that comes with Windows 7. Laptops/netbooks are extremely cheap right now. GL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:17 pm

you would seriously limewire an operating system? what rock do you live under? btw this threat is BNN

djgoldbe

Bronze

Post by djgoldbe » Wed May 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Go with win 7 unless you have less than 2 gigs of ram.

/thread

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Wed May 19, 2010 2:00 pm

thanks for the input...

looks like the consensus is 7 - I was planning to get a new computer anyway, but this question was considering the pc of your choice with the specs of your choice, so, with everything equal, which operating system is better -- the security/stability issues seem compelling.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:03 pm

I run Windows 7 on my desktop, and I like it. It's just not worth the pain in the ass of upgrading or spending money.

You shouldn't be getting viruses on either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Wed May 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Pain in the ass? Just put the cd in and press install. Pronto, its all there. Reinstall some shit you wanted and you're back in the game. As for money, its $80. Come on. Its a good investment.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:15 pm

GermX wrote:Pain in the ass? Just put the cd in and press install. Pronto, its all there. Reinstall some shit you wanted and you're back in the game. As for money, its $80. Come on. Its a good investment.
Installing over an OS is always sloppy. I usually format. Though I hear 7 has a good upgrade process.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed May 19, 2010 2:18 pm

GermX wrote:It's only 80 bucks to upgrade to Windows 7. Do it. Its so much more secure and safe. Windows XP is seriously horrible, and you don't want to get a trojan or something just days before your final.
Quoted for idiocy.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Windows 7 is awesome. Way more awesome than XP. It has all the utility and stability of XP combined with good looks and lots of entertainment features.

Bonus - it doesn't suck terribly like Vista.

7 is lightweight, user-friendly, more secure, and 1000X better overall.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jepoy

New

Post by jepoy » Wed May 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Definitely Windows 7. Besides, I think Microsoft is ending support for XP this year.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Wed May 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Installing over an OS is always sloppy. I usually format. Though I hear 7 has a good upgrade process.
It's awesome. Compiles all your old stuff into a folder and basically formats the PC for you with a backup. It took me 1 hour to upgrade it. Best decision ever btw.

JWicker10

Bronze

Post by JWicker10 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Just got a new Sony Vaio--fast, light weight, great features, inexpensive. I'd highly recommend it, as well as Windows 7.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:57 pm

they are both solid honestly, i'd only upgrade if you can get it on the cheap (at UW we could get windows for 5 bucks)

not worth spending a bunch of money on, maybe get a new laptop with windows 7 already installed? i'm contemplating that, i have a 3 yr old laptop with XP pro

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”