Retaking college class that I got a C in.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jeremydc

Retaking college class that I got a C in.

Postby jeremydc » Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 am

Now that I know the timetable that I have to work with, my final question for the night is about retaking a class I got a C in.

If you have only 3 more classes to take in your final semester, would it be "smart" to retake a class that you got a C in?

I am not saying to to boost my gpa (I know it won't) but for Law schools to see that you are serious about good grades.

lostjake

Re: Retaking college class that I got a C in.

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 12:33 am

I got one C in college, and it was in Ethics. I did not retake the class. Also you usually can not retake a class you got a C in.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:40 am

I doubt they will care.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:01 am

If you think you can score higher and can afford the extra tuition re-take. Law schools won't care that you retook the class but it will be an extra B or A to help pad your GPA even if minimally.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Wed May 19, 2010 7:21 am

Will your school completely expunge the first grade from your transcript? If yes, sure. If not, no. LSAC will count every grade that shows up on your transcript, so retaking a class if the original on remains will be no different for your bottom line than taking some other class and doing well.

Also, and this is just conjecture on my part, if the original grade remains (or even a designation that you to the class before), getting a good grade the second time around doesn't seem like it would give adcoms a more favorable impression. To me it seems like "wow, the kid can do better when exposed to the same material a second time -- <shock!>" (and he chose to spend time doing this rather than exposing himself to new material, opportunity wasted).*

*I would soften this view if it were a hard science or math course, where, arguably a grade is more a reflection of what you learned rather than how you performed. Going back to get objective mastery is one thing, but in your case, it obviously isn't foundational for other courses, since you're just tacking it on at the end.

Return to “Law School FAQ”