Role Undergrade Major Plays Into Law School Acceptance

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Buhddha

Role Undergrade Major Plays Into Law School Acceptance

Postby Buhddha » Tue May 18, 2010 12:37 am

Hello, I'm currently a junior at a very small private college in New York City. I've been interested in law school ever since my freshmen year of college. My problem is that I really want to attend law school but my passion is in Journalism. Entering my junior year I have a 3.7 GPA, for the last year I've been studying about 2 hours a day in LSAT prep. I've been taking a lot of electives that I think will look better on my transcript for law schools (political science, philosophy, history, economics, psychology) to name a few. I realize that a big part of law school acceptance is LSAT and GPA but I'm worried that my major will go against me. I really enjoy journalism as my major and wouldn't change it for anything but Law School is were I'd like to end up. I was just wondering if my law school acceptance chances are at all hinder by what I decided to major in?
Last edited by Buhddha on Tue May 18, 2010 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

merichard87

Re: Role Undergrade Major Plays Into Law School Acceptance

Postby merichard87 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:46 am

Your major won't matter, your GPA will. And if you love journalism so much why are going to law school?

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue May 18, 2010 12:48 am

LSAT and GPA is all that matters. Trust me. Besides, there are a ton of threads where this exact answer has been given. Get a high GPA and half the battle is won.

As somoene who was an editor at a school newspaper, I can understand the love for journalism - although I was more of an editorialist. Good luck.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 18, 2010 1:03 am

Wrong wrong. Your major is everything when it comes to law school admissions. Journalism majors are not allowed in law school. You didn't know that? You are so fucked.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Buhddha wrote:Hello, I'm currently a junior at a very small private college in New York City. I've been interested in law school ever since my freshmen year of college. My problem is that I really want to attend law school but my passion is in Journalism. Entering my junior year I have a 3.7 GPA, for the last year I've been studying about 2 hours a day in LSAT prep. I've been taking a lot of electives that I think will look better on my transcript for law schools (political science, philosophy, history, economics, psychology) to name a few. I realize that a big part of law school acceptance is LSAT and GPA but I'm worried that my major will go against me. I really enjoy journalism as my major and wouldn't change it for anything but Law School is were I'd like to end up. I was just wondering if my law school acceptance chances are at all hinder by what I decided to major in?

Won't matter at all, I'm coming from fashion school :D

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Wrong wrong. Your major is everything when it comes to law school admissions. Journalism majors are not allowed in law school. You didn't know that? You are so fucked.

At least somebody is willing to tell it like it is.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Tue May 18, 2010 6:41 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Wrong wrong. Your major is everything when it comes to law school admissions. Journalism majors are not allowed in law school. You didn't know that? You are so fucked.

At least somebody is willing to tell it like it is.

Seriously. The only majors law school accepts are electrical engineers, fashion design, physicists (but only if you already have your PhD), and film students with a minor in Spanish. Unless you are one of those four, you are royally screwed.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue May 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Ugh. I try really hard to be compassionate (amongst a sea of pitiless TLSers), but goddammit that grammar is awful. I wonder if journalism is still on the table with spelling/grammar as shitty as OP's.

bstrunk

Postby bstrunk » Wed May 19, 2010 9:11 am

If it comes to an evaluation of your 'soft' characteristics, I think the journalism major will be an asset. It can demonstrate that you already know how to write, usually in a concise manner.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed May 19, 2010 9:21 am

miamiman wrote:Ugh. I try really hard to be compassionate (amongst a sea of pitiless TLSers), but goddammit that grammar is awful. I wonder if journalism is still on the table with spelling/grammar as shitty as OP's.

Journalism jumped the shark a while ago.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed May 19, 2010 9:39 am

Lackluster flame

Return to “Law School FAQ”