Flying home during 1L year?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Royal

Flying home during 1L year?

Postby Royal » Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 pm

This question is really for current law students. The study-all-day-every-day-no-free-time experiences seem to be pretty common. How often were you able to fly home for a weekend during 1L year? Other than winter break and spring break, were you able to fly home for an occasional weekend? There seem to be a decent number of three day weekends on the academic calendar, and it's not hard to pack your books in your carry on.

snowpeach06

Re: Flying home during 1L year?

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:08 pm

No offense, but this seems like a dumb question. Not every law student is the same. You can study 24/7 or you can not. If you want to go home, then you'll make the time to go home. Simple as that.

As a semi-side note, it's not necessarily true that hours spent studying is directly correlated to grades. Inhale exhale law school kids. It will all be just fine, and you won't have to turn into a zombie in order to have a future.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sun May 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Braaaaaiiiinnnnzzz??

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun May 16, 2010 11:10 pm

I live 15 minutes away from my parents, and sometimes I don't see them for three weeks or even more. Specially when there are legal writing assignments to work on. My first semester I was able to have more time, but this semester I had one more class, one more final, more legal writing assignment, and I was searching for a job. This second semester I was just a lot busier.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun May 16, 2010 11:12 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:No offense, but this seems like a dumb question. Not every law student is the same. You can study 24/7 or you can not. If you want to go home, then you'll make the time to go home. Simple as that.

As a semi-side note, it's not necessarily true that hours spent studying is directly correlated to grades. Inhale exhale law school kids. It will all be just fine, and you won't have to turn into a zombie in order to have a future.

I always sleep my eight hours during the year. During finals I usually sleep 4 hours or so... The point is that you will certainly not study ALL day, though I do find myself doing something law school related for about 12 out of the 16 hours I'm awake.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 17, 2010 9:02 am

If you can study on a plane, then I don't see the problem.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:19 am

If you plan ahead and get your work done, you can whatever you want with your weekends. Just keep this in mind....

1. Homesickness
2. You wont get work done at home
3. During your first semester you won't know how fast you can cover the reading and the extra time on the weekends might be needed
4. Your legal research and writing class will consume your soul and eat away at your weekends

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Mon May 17, 2010 1:08 pm

You absolutely can take a weekend off every now and then. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but so long as it isn't finals/LRW paper time, there's plenty of time during the semester to go home for a weekend. There were weekends I didn't do anything but play video games, especially earlier on in the semester.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Tue May 18, 2010 4:55 pm

It simply cannot be done. Ever.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Tue May 18, 2010 5:11 pm

BobSacamano wrote:You absolutely can take a weekend off every now and then. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but so long as it isn't finals/LRW paper time, there's plenty of time during the semester to go home for a weekend. There were weekends I didn't do anything but play video games, especially earlier on in the semester.

BobSacamano=Best Name Ever

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Tue May 18, 2010 7:41 pm

lol. this is so funny. you will look back on it and laugh, too, i promise. RELAX. i went home via 4-hr bus ride often. I got good grades. Time management is real. And it helps. RELAX.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue May 18, 2010 8:09 pm

I got more studying done on a 2 hour flight than I did in my dorm room in undergrad...in a week.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 18, 2010 8:13 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:I got more studying done on a 2 hour flight than I did in my dorm room in undergrad...in a week.

This. The most continuous studying I got done at one time all first semester was a 6-hour train ride to NYC for fall break. I got nearly as much done on the ride back. It's much easier to study in a train/plane/moving enclosure of some sort than it is to study in the comfort and distraction of your own home.

Royal

Postby Royal » Tue May 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Thank you for all the replies. I wasn't really nervous about never having the time to fly home, I was more curious about the frequency with which its possible. This thread definitely made me feel better about it though, as opposed to Law School Confidential and the like. :lol:

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Royal wrote:Thank you for all the replies. I wasn't really nervous about never having the time to fly home, I was more curious about the frequency with which its possible.

It depends entirely on your schedule. Until about a month before finals, there's plenty of time in your weeks that isn't absorbed by classes. You can spend it socializing and getting to know your classmates, you can spend it doing pro bono work, or you can spend it going home on the weekends if you want. There's probably enough time in your schedule to do it several times in a semester if you really want, and really want to use your free time that way.

Keep in mind that frequency potential will be much higher at the start than the end of the semester. The first half of the semester you could probably go home every weekend if you really wanted to, and spent your time wisely during the week doing what you needed to then. Do not plan on going home in November, not even for Thanksgiving. November 1 until your last final is a travel-free dead zone in which travel is at your GPA's peril.

There's one exception to that, and that's if you've gotten so far ahead with your reading and outlining in all your classes that you don't need Thanksgiving to catch up. I suspect if you're regularly traveling home and enjoying your weekends you won't get that far ahead by then.

Return to “Law School FAQ”