Schools with UN/IGO Externships

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
yosho

Schools with UN/IGO Externships

Postby yosho » Sun May 16, 2010 10:06 am

Hi there,

First post on TLS, though I've been lurking around for awhile now. My question concerns externship courses on offer at the major law schools and my prospects of obtaining one. Let's pretend that I wanted to work for the UN doing international environmental legal work (think climate change treaties and the like). Putting aside the ridiculous resume, 18 languages, and 37 degrees that I'll need, which schools offer externships / focused UN/IGO-type courses that could be of benefit in growing a UN network and giving such a job a shot? I believe Columbia has an externship, as does Pace (which has a great looking, environment-specific one), but I've yet to find others - are there more that I haven't come across? If so, do they generally only accept a couple of the best students, or is admission to them a bit easier?
Also, is it worth to go a lower ranked school just for such a program? Say what you will about name-brand schools, but it seems to me like being able to put "UN experience" on a resume, not to mention the network built from such an encounter, could more than compensate. (Although I suppose name-branding would help in obtaining a proper internship, rather than a mere externship)

Thoughts and feedback always appreciated!

Blindmelon

Re: Schools with UN/IGO Externships

Postby Blindmelon » Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 pm

yosho wrote:Hi there,

First post on TLS, though I've been lurking around for awhile now. My question concerns externship courses on offer at the major law schools and my prospects of obtaining one. Let's pretend that I wanted to work for the UN doing international environmental legal work (think climate change treaties and the like). Putting aside the ridiculous resume, 18 languages, and 37 degrees that I'll need, which schools offer externships / focused UN/IGO-type courses that could be of benefit in growing a UN network and giving such a job a shot? I believe Columbia has an externship, as does Pace (which has a great looking, environment-specific one), but I've yet to find others - are there more that I haven't come across? If so, do they generally only accept a couple of the best students, or is admission to them a bit easier?
Also, is it worth to go a lower ranked school just for such a program? Say what you will about name-brand schools, but it seems to me like being able to put "UN experience" on a resume, not to mention the network built from such an encounter, could more than compensate. (Although I suppose name-branding would help in obtaining a proper internship, rather than a mere externship)

Thoughts and feedback always appreciated!

Extremely competitive. For example, the UN High Commissioner's office only takes a few interns a year from American law schools - this year it was Harvard, Stanford and BU. But, please. Don't go to law school thinking this is going to happen though.

Return to “Law School FAQ”