how do you know if you have strong softs?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
melyanair

Re: how do you know if you have strong softs?

Postby melyanair » Fri May 21, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm not sure they are any different - I think that picture is a pretty accurate reflection of what a pyramid scheme actually is. Thos who get screwed the most are those who sign up for programs where they are getting nothing for their dollars, just spending these hefty amounts each month to sustain the paychecks of those at the top.

I feel a detour coming on ... sorry OP.

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Fri May 21, 2010 4:40 pm

LateNight wrote:
LateNight wrote:Image

How are referral programs different than this? The bottom always gets screwed.

In an attenpt to bring this back on topic ... I agreen, the bottom always get screwed (if you are part of a pyramid organization - oh well, I guess most of us are, if you work somehwere, Walmart's org chart looks just liek that ... so do most major coprotraions) ... and the TOP, well, they can use their experience as a great soft ;).

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:40 pm

melyanair wrote:I'm not sure they are any different - I think that picture is a pretty accurate reflection of what a pyramid scheme actually is. Thos who get screwed the most are those who sign up for programs where they are getting nothing for their dollars, just spending these hefty amounts each month to sustain the paychecks of those at the top.

I feel a detour coming on ... sorry OP.

I'll preemptively say that I don't have any problem with pyramid schemes that are both legal and provide actual services in return for payment.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 4:45 pm

melyanair wrote:I'm not sure they are any different - I think that picture is a pretty accurate reflection of what a pyramid scheme actually is. Thos who get screwed the most are those who sign up for programs where they are getting nothing for their dollars, just spending these hefty amounts each month to sustain the paychecks of those at the top.

Like first year assocaites working 70+ hours a week trying to meet thier billable requiremnt at a big law firm!

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Fri May 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Matthies wrote:

Like first year assocaites working 70+ hours a week trying to meet thier billable requiremnt at a big law firm!

Exactly. If ever there was a pyramid, that's one for sure!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 21, 2010 5:20 pm

melyanair wrote:My softs:

-Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology
-Work experience as a family theparist
-5 Years as an exuctive director for a multi-national company, for which I did multiple trainings and seminars, was a speaker at their annual convention in Atlanta in 2007 with over 8000 in attendance
-Founder and CEO of a company that grossed over a million dollars in sales for several years, gorwing to a workforce of over 500 in just 3 years
- Lived / worked in several countries: USA, Canada, Jamaica, China
- Travelled to at least 10 other countries
- Ability to communicate with the deaf through sign lanuage
- TONNES of volunteer stuff at my local churches over the years - working with youth groups, fine arts ministries, etc.
- Mother of one (not sure if that counts)

Congratulations on the best-padded resume I've seen in a while.

Also, SaintClarence27, you have the best avatar on the site.

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Fri May 21, 2010 6:06 pm

kalvano wrote:

-5 Years as an exuctive director for a multi-national company, for which I did multiple trainings and seminars, was a speaker at their annual convention in Atlanta in 2007 with over 8000 in attendance
-Founder and CEO of a company that grossed over a million dollars in sales for several years, gorwing to a workforce of over 500 in just 3 years
- TONNES of volunteer stuff at my local churches over the years - working with youth groups, fine arts ministries, etc.

Thank you! I fully intend to keep padding it over the next 3 years to land myself a fab job after graduation.

Also, SaintClarence27, you have the best avatar on the site.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:25 pm

kalvano wrote:

Also, SaintClarence27, you have the best avatar on the site.[/quote

I like to think so. "My Father's House" is one of my all-time favorites. But freaking depressing. Who's in your avatar?

procrastinator

Postby procrastinator » Fri May 21, 2010 6:30 pm

What is this I don't even

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 21, 2010 6:46 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:I like to think so. "My Father's House" is one of my all-time favorites. But freaking depressing. Who's in your avatar?

I always liked "Atlantic City" the best from that album. That sense of despair and blindly grabbing at any small hope.

Bianca Beauchamp.

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Fri May 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Oh yeah ... I forgot another soft ...

Director of Operations for a large distribution company (no fluff this time ... that's my real job now :) I am responsible for teh overall opeartuions of the company, including hiring and training staff, managing the companies multi-million dollar budget, etc. ... sadly, well, not so sadly, today was my last day. Now I have a few weeks to relax before heading back to school.

OP, if you are looking for softs to build your resume (which by the way I sent to all schools I applied to whether they asked for them or not - except one which did not allow it) ... I think anything which shows you have good public speaking ability would be helpful ... giving presentations in large crowds (or even small ones), teaching, that kinda thing.

Oh yeah - another soft - I was adjunct faculty at a University in Ft. Lauderdale for a few years after grad school.

Dang, I do have some decent softs. This post actually made me realize some stuff I didn't before. I was honestly wondering how the heck I got some of the offers I did ... and I was baffled because even simliar URMs with better numbers than mine didnt get the offers I did ...seems adcom actually considers these things. Hmmm. Good to know we're not just numbers to them. ANY experience you have, put in on that resume, and proucly so. If you were a receptionist dont but job duties incldued answerin the phone, full stop. Say that you had the responsibility of ensureing that all calls were properly fielded to the right personnel, and integral role in the operations of the company. You can say the same thing a million different ways - it's part of the art of being a good lawyer, so you'd better get to practicing now. Hey, you have one shot to impress the place you're applying to, and if you and everyone else has the same numbers, you have to stand out ... just be honest about it, and remember that the opinions of TLSers don't carry much weight with the actual decision makers.

Good luck to you!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 21, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm also assuming you had some professional editing done for the resume.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri May 21, 2010 7:18 pm

kalvano wrote:I'm also assuming you had some professional editing done for the resume.

Why? It was good resume, but regular people write good resumes all the time. Why do you think it was professionally edited?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri May 21, 2010 7:49 pm

melyanair wrote:teh overall opeartuions of the company

is my guess

fenway

Postby fenway » Fri May 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Dang, I do have some decent softs. This post actually made me realize some stuff I didn't before. I was honestly wondering how the heck I got some of the offers I did

---haha I'm glad my thread led you to share such an epiphany

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:59 am

melyanair wrote:Oh yeah ... I forgot another soft ...

Director of Operations for a large distribution company (no fluff this time ... that's my real job now :) I am responsible for teh overall opeartuions of the company, including hiring and training staff, managing the companies multi-million dollar budget, etc. ... sadly, well, not so sadly, today was my last day. Now I have a few weeks to relax before heading back to school.

OP, if you are looking for softs to build your resume (which by the way I sent to all schools I applied to whether they asked for them or not - except one which did not allow it) ... I think anything which shows you have good public speaking ability would be helpful ... giving presentations in large crowds (or even small ones), teaching, that kinda thing.

Oh yeah - another soft - I was adjunct faculty at a University in Ft. Lauderdale for a few years after grad school.

Dang, I do have some decent softs. This post actually made me realize some stuff I didn't before. I was honestly wondering how the heck I got some of the offers I did ... and I was baffled because even simliar URMs with better numbers than mine didnt get the offers I did ...seems adcom actually considers these things. Hmmm. Good to know we're not just numbers to them. ANY experience you have, put in on that resume, and proucly so. If you were a receptionist dont but job duties incldued answerin the phone, full stop. Say that you had the responsibility of ensureing that all calls were properly fielded to the right personnel, and integral role in the operations of the company. You can say the same thing a million different ways - it's part of the art of being a good lawyer, so you'd better get to practicing now. Hey, you have one shot to impress the place you're applying to, and if you and everyone else has the same numbers, you have to stand out ... just be honest about it, and remember that the opinions of TLSers don't carry much weight with the actual decision makers.

Good luck to you!

Not to sound insensitive but are you like 40?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat May 22, 2010 9:25 am

fenway wrote:how do you know if you have strong softs?

He will tell you...

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Sun May 23, 2010 9:47 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
melyanair wrote:Oh yeah ... I forgot another soft ...

Good luck to you!

Not to sound insensitive but are you like 40?

Not insensitive at all ... I'm actually 30. I've done alot in my years, and will be starting law school alot older than most (though certainly not all).

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Sun May 23, 2010 9:48 am

kalvano wrote:I'm also assuming you had some professional editing done for the resume.

No I didn't, but I did spend considerably more time proofreading it than I do my TSL postings (which don't really have any bearing on life ;).

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Sun May 23, 2010 9:49 am

fenway wrote:Dang, I do have some decent softs. This post actually made me realize some stuff I didn't before. I was honestly wondering how the heck I got some of the offers I did

---haha I'm glad my thread led you to share such an epiphany

Yes ... I'm glad you started the post ... thanks.

fenway

Postby fenway » Sun May 23, 2010 1:03 pm

I was only being jokingly sarcastic. unbelievable resume, shouldn't have taken you a few TLS posts to realize it ha

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Sun May 23, 2010 2:51 pm

fenway wrote:I was only being jokingly sarcastic. unbelievable resume, shouldn't have taken you a few TLS posts to realize it ha

I caught the sarcasm ... but still thankful ;) Thanks again :)

Return to “Law School FAQ”