When to apply??

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
txlawstudent

When to apply??

Postby txlawstudent » Thu May 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi everyone! First post and I was wondering if you all could help me decide when I should apply to law school.

I'm graduating this month and have fairly recently decided to pursue a career in Legal Studies. My question is do I have enough time to apply for this coming 2011-2012 academic year?

I plan to start studying for the LSAT this month and would probably have to take the test in October. Is this enough time to prepare for the test and complete my application considering I would like to score above 170? I would prefer to take the test in December but have heard that this could be too late and hurt my chances at getting in (compared to students who have completed their applications). When does the lateness of a completed application become detrimental to your chances of getting in? Is December or January still ok? Can any of you recommend a timeline to get this done or what your schedule was?

Although I would not mind waiting another year, two years seems like a long time. Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tautology

Re: When to apply??

Postby Tautology » Thu May 13, 2010 7:17 pm

The earlier the better as far as applying goes, you risk a lot of waitlists if you get your apps in late (I had 8 waitlists this cycle for my January app). Although getting your app in right when they start accepting them is nice, I think getting them in before December is the important cutoff. Take it in October, have everything ready to go (ask for those LoRs now!) and if you're happy with your score when you get it back hit submit. If not, then you might want to consider retaking and waiting a year.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu May 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:26 pm

+1. Study your ass off, take the Oct test, you still have the option (if you feel you need to take the test again) to retake in December. Your goal should be Thanksgiving, or (last resort) the holiday break. Basically, anything that arrives in December gets looked at after break, I'm pretty sure (or I had some schools ignoring me til then haha), so everyone's estimate of Thanksgiving is spot on.

EDIT: Oh, and +1 million to getting your LORs ASAP. I had to literally hunt down my rec writers to get them to send in my letters. That was honestly the most stressful part of applying for me.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 7:29 pm

Generally speaking you need about three months to prepare for the LSAT, so October is fine. A late application (end of December, beginning of January) isn't going to KILL you, but you will get a few waitlists that could have been acceptances (unfortunately these may likely be your top choices, so I guess it actually is kind of a bummer). So, yeah, get it done in October. You have time.

As far a timeline goes, if you have never looked at the LSAT or taken a diagnostic, you are going to have to hit that pretty hard. Since you are going to want apply soon after you get your score, you should start studying soon and spread it out over 4-5 months because you will need to be working on your personal statement, resume, and letters while you are studying. Start writing out some ideas of what you might like your personal statement's "theme" to be. Hopefully you have some recommenders in mind, and since you are graduating you may want to contact them soon.

As far as LSAT preparation goes, I don't know if you have browsed these forums a lot, but the LSAT prep section, and particularly Pithypike's guide, has a ton of great information on how to prepare. Basically, take as many full length, timed practice tests as possible, and read the PowerScore LR and LG Bibles (especially the LG Bible).

Good luck!

yeff

Postby yeff » Mon May 17, 2010 8:56 am

traehekat wrote:Generally speaking you need about three months to prepare for the LSAT, so October is fine. A late application (end of December, beginning of January) isn't going to KILL you, but you will get a few waitlists that could have been acceptances (unfortunately these may likely be your top choices, so I guess it actually is kind of a bummer). So, yeah, get it done in October. You have time.

As far a timeline goes, if you have never looked at the LSAT or taken a diagnostic, you are going to have to hit that pretty hard. Since you are going to want apply soon after you get your score, you should start studying soon and spread it out over 4-5 months because you will need to be working on your personal statement, resume, and letters while you are studying. Start writing out some ideas of what you might like your personal statement's "theme" to be. Hopefully you have some recommenders in mind, and since you are graduating you may want to contact them soon.

As far as LSAT preparation goes, I don't know if you have browsed these forums a lot, but the LSAT prep section, and particularly Pithypike's guide, has a ton of great information on how to prepare. Basically, take as many full length, timed practice tests as possible, and read the PowerScore LR and LG Bibles (especially the LG Bible).

Good luck!

+1 to all of this, especially to the bolded, which was my experience with a December LSAT and late January applications.

Return to “Law School FAQ”