What is the most employable area of law?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
PigNipple
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 pm

What is the most employable area of law?

Postby PigNipple » Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 pm

I, like many, would like to be idealistic and pursue public interest law. My need to be employed at graduation, though, tells me that I need to study in an area that has job opportunities. So, what are the most employable areas of law?

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby ggocat » Thu May 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Solo practice doing crim defense (particularly if your state does appointments), family, estate, consumer bankruptcy, debt collection, etc.
Last edited by ggocat on Thu May 13, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Health and IP (more so patent than trademark and copyright) are said to be booming right now.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby RPK34 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:07 pm

ggocat wrote:Solo practice.


What's the deal with solo practice anyways? I know a few who don't even seem that prominent who bill around 200/hr. I'm sure no one wants a 25 year old kid who hasn't seen the inside of a court room defending them, but it seems fairly lucrative.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 2:17 pm

RPK34 wrote:
ggocat wrote:Solo practice.


What's the deal with solo practice anyways? I know a few who don't even seem that prominent who bill around 200/hr. I'm sure no one wants a 25 year old kid who hasn't seen the inside of a court room defending them, but it seems fairly lucrative.


I'll be honest I don't know much at all regarding solo practice, but I feel like it is probably like opening any other kind of business - there is a decent amount of investment and risk involved and results will vary widely.

User avatar
pugalicious
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby pugalicious » Thu May 13, 2010 2:21 pm

traehekat wrote:
RPK34 wrote:
ggocat wrote:Solo practice.


What's the deal with solo practice anyways? I know a few who don't even seem that prominent who bill around 200/hr. I'm sure no one wants a 25 year old kid who hasn't seen the inside of a court room defending them, but it seems fairly lucrative.


I'll be honest I don't know much at all regarding solo practice, but I feel like it is probably like opening any other kind of business - there is a decent amount of investment and risk involved and results will vary widely.


Best case scenario: minor local celebrity status, your face on a billboard/bus stop, your own radio jingle. Worst case scenario: you add a small business loan onto your already massive load of loans and fail. You still get your own jingle, though...but it's the one you sing to passers-by while holding out a change cup on a freeway exit.

:) Too drastic?

User avatar
mikehoe
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:34 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby mikehoe » Thu May 13, 2010 2:22 pm

tax law

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 2:23 pm

RPK34 wrote:
ggocat wrote:Solo practice.


What's the deal with solo practice anyways? I know a few who don't even seem that prominent who bill around 200/hr. I'm sure no one wants a 25 year old kid who hasn't seen the inside of a court room defending them, but it seems fairly lucrative.


Google solosez and contact the lawyers there to find out.

I like the solo idea myself. Criminal defense however, I would want even 3-6 months hands-on experience with before going out on my own.

Immigration and family law are RELATIVELY straightforward to me because I deal with them often already. However these areas are not familiar to regular 20-somethings who have never been married, divorced, or an immigrant...so it's too foreign for them to contemplate.

I know people and I do lots of research. I am most familiar with Florida's family law though...and the immigration connects I have are in Florida and Georgia. So going to school in either of those two places, solo I feel is a viable option for me.

If i went to, say, Colorado, i'd have to work for a firm first because connects there are nonexistent at this point.

If you want to go solo straight out, get mentors who can tell you what you should be doing while in law school, and can help you/be a resource for unusual scenarios when you get out, pass the bar, and set up shop.

If you work out of home, meet clients at the courthouse or over lunch...somewhere where you can look and act professional so they will take you serious.

Lots more bytes of info on solosez. There is also a harvard grad that went solo straight out, if I find where I wrote down his name I can send his site to you so you can contact him to find out how it worked out for him.

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 2:27 pm

In truth, a friend told me that I should not overlook criminal defense just cause I think the criminals won't have money...they might not have legal income so they qualify for a public defender but plenty of the drug dealers and such do have money stashed somewhere.

And i read a solo who basically operates out of his house who says he is always meeting clients at the jail they are locked up in or the courthouse. So he really has no need of an office.

I would like some defense experience somewhere...for deportation defense purposes. Or maybe just shadow someone doing deportation defense while in school.

I have to plan that one out more after I know where and where I get accepted this fall.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby legalease9 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:27 pm

traehekat wrote:
RPK34 wrote:
ggocat wrote:Solo practice.


What's the deal with solo practice anyways? I know a few who don't even seem that prominent who bill around 200/hr. I'm sure no one wants a 25 year old kid who hasn't seen the inside of a court room defending them, but it seems fairly lucrative.


I'll be honest I don't know much at all regarding solo practice, but I feel like it is probably like opening any other kind of business - there is a decent amount of investment and risk involved and results will vary widely.


This. Also, Law school doesn't really prepare you to run a firm (or even to practice law effectively in any capacity). Law school is limited to teaching law as an academic discipline. Save for the exceptionally adept entrepreneur, you need some years of legal experience to learn how to practice law. And even if you are great at business, without legal experience and on your own, the chances of you messing up and getting your client screwed/getting yourself disbarred skyrocket.

AllBusiness
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby AllBusiness » Thu May 13, 2010 3:34 pm

legalized wrote:In truth, a friend told me that I should not overlook criminal defense just cause I think the criminals won't have money...they might not have legal income so they qualify for a public defender but plenty of the drug dealers and such do have money stashed somewhere.

And i read a solo who basically operates out of his house who says he is always meeting clients at the jail they are locked up in or the courthouse. So he really has no need of an office.

I would like some defense experience somewhere...for deportation defense purposes. Or maybe just shadow someone doing deportation defense while in school.

I have to plan that one out more after I know where and where I get accepted this fall.


Are you looking to become some kind of scumbag?

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7117
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby los blancos » Thu May 13, 2010 3:37 pm

AllBusiness wrote:
legalized wrote:In truth, a friend told me that I should not overlook criminal defense just cause I think the criminals won't have money...they might not have legal income so they qualify for a public defender but plenty of the drug dealers and such do have money stashed somewhere.

And i read a solo who basically operates out of his house who says he is always meeting clients at the jail they are locked up in or the courthouse. So he really has no need of an office.

I would like some defense experience somewhere...for deportation defense purposes. Or maybe just shadow someone doing deportation defense while in school.

I have to plan that one out more after I know where and where I get accepted this fall.


Are you looking to become some kind of scumbag?


hahahahahaha

User avatar
Ipsa Dixit
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:56 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Thu May 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Employment law.

eldizknee
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby eldizknee » Thu May 13, 2010 5:56 pm

.
Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crazycanuck
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby crazycanuck » Thu May 13, 2010 6:33 pm

There are jobs everywhere working on constitutional law. You should do that.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 6:50 pm

crazycanuck wrote:There are jobs everywhere working on constitutional law. You should do that.


:( conlaw is so interesting... *sigh*

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby procrastinator » Thu May 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Eighteenth Century Agrarian Business (Law). Let me ask you — are you all concerned about an uprising?

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby Bosque » Thu May 13, 2010 10:32 pm

crazycanuck wrote:There are jobs everywhere working on constitutional law. You should do that.


It's funny. The two areas I am most interested in, Con Law and IP, are on the exact opposite of the employment spectrum.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby RPK34 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:36 pm

procrastinator wrote:Eighteenth Century Agrarian Business (Law). Let me ask you — are you all concerned about an uprising?


Well played.

User avatar
dspit
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby dspit » Thu May 13, 2010 10:53 pm

procrastinator wrote:Eighteenth Century Agrarian Business (Law). Let me ask you — are you all concerned about an uprising?

I just saw that episode of Arrested Development.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby upfish » Thu May 13, 2010 10:55 pm

procrastinator wrote:Eighteenth Century Agrarian Business (Law). Let me ask you — are you all concerned about an uprising?


The SEC has boats?

User avatar
SteelReserve
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby SteelReserve » Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Solo practice is usually not lucrative regardless of what rate you bill; sure, the fact that some people you know bill $200 an hour sounds great, except many (or most) clients cannot afford that rate and you never end up getting paid. My high school English teacher had that very problem; he had been a divorce attorney and quit because he simply was not getting paid.

Think about it yourself; say you got in trouble; could you possibly afford a $200 an hour lawyer? The majority of people in this country make less than 50k. That's why solo practice does not work.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby procrastinator » Thu May 13, 2010 11:11 pm

SteelReserve wrote:Solo practice is usually not lucrative regardless of what rate you bill; sure, the fact that some people you know bill $200 an hour sounds great, except many (or most) clients cannot afford that rate and you never end up getting paid. My high school English teacher had that very problem; he had been a divorce attorney and quit because he simply was not getting paid.

Think about it yourself; say you got in trouble; could you possibly afford a $200 an hour lawyer? The majority of people in this country make less than 50k. That's why solo practice does not work.

If I got into trouble, I'd ensure I found a way to afford it.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby procrastinator » Thu May 13, 2010 11:11 pm

upfish wrote:
procrastinator wrote:Eighteenth Century Agrarian Business (Law). Let me ask you — are you all concerned about an uprising?


The SEC has boats?

Her?

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: What is the most employable area of law?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 11:20 pm

AllBusiness wrote:
legalized wrote:In truth, a friend told me that I should not overlook criminal defense just cause I think the criminals won't have money...they might not have legal income so they qualify for a public defender but plenty of the drug dealers and such do have money stashed somewhere.

And i read a solo who basically operates out of his house who says he is always meeting clients at the jail they are locked up in or the courthouse. So he really has no need of an office.

I would like some defense experience somewhere...for deportation defense purposes. Or maybe just shadow someone doing deportation defense while in school.

I have to plan that one out more after I know where and where I get accepted this fall.


Are you looking to become some kind of scumbag?


lmao ouch. What does that have to do with me wanting to learn how to defend people accused of crimes so I can defend people who are being held for possible deportation?

The bold is what the person said to me. Not what I said. Notice the friend was telling me not to overlook criminal defense...that part of the sentence should tell you I wasn't interested in it originally because I figured if they had to commit crimes, they didn't have money to afford their life in the first place. According to him, I was wrong.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests