Most Over-Ranked/Under-Ranked Schools

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JOThompson

Re: Most Over-Ranked/Under-Ranked Schools

Postby JOThompson » Tue May 11, 2010 2:35 am

I admit that I felt the same way before actually visiting the school, but I ultimately found Iowa City to be a pretty fun college town. The biggest real grievance I see is the lack of a strong home market. If you look at the placement numbers though, the vast majority of Iowa grads find work outside the state.

chris888777

Postby chris888777 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:08 am

What makes Iowa over ranked? The Judicial and Peer scores are great, employment prospects are excellent and their academics/faculty or top notch. I don't think they should be ranked much above 25 but their numbers, assessments and employment prospects seem just right for a school ranked 25-30.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue May 11, 2010 6:30 am

I think texas tech is under rated. Nearly identical 25th-75th numbers as 80 ranked LSU and they are not even T2. I know Lubbock sux, but Ill bet they will make the top 100 in the next 3-5 years. Nebraska made the jump and I think tech will be following soon.

texas man

Postby texas man » Tue May 11, 2010 11:02 am

quetzalcoatl wrote:I think texas tech is under rated. Nearly identical 25th-75th numbers as 80 ranked LSU and they are not even T2. I know Lubbock sux, but Ill bet they will make the top 100 in the next 3-5 years. Nebraska made the jump and I think tech will be following soon.

I actually like Lubbock - I know there are differing opinions on this - just wanted to let people know there are 2 sides. I'm with you on everything else.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I can't quite understand the Iowa hate that so often pervades these boards. The school isn't particularly selective for a T1, but its placement stats are similar to other regional schools like Minnesota, Illinois, or University of Washington. What am I missing?

The fact that the school is in Iowa.

I personally have nothing against Iowa, but many people only think of fields, toothlessness, corn mash, and big offensive lineman/bad big 10 football when they hear the name Iowa.

I'm from Iowa and I don't even know what the hell corn mash is. Regarding the toothlessness issue, that's a Southern thing as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, I don't doubt that Iowa is a place not everyone can love or see themselves living in. Hell, I grew up here and I have a serious love/hate relationship with the state. But, the school's placement stats are pretty decent.

sdv

Postby sdv » Tue May 11, 2010 11:21 am

Pitt. Closest T1 geographically is Ohio State, and the next closest is Georgetown (really). Unquestioned, unchallenged dominant placement in its region, which also happens to be the most livable city in America, and houses 2 of the top 20 NLJ 250.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 am

Iowa is only considered "overranked" on TLS because it's LSAT median is lower than peer schools. Boom. That's it. Placement and assessment scores are similar.

Also, from '87-'99 Iowa's avg. USNWR rank was 21.3. From '00-'08 Iowa's avg. was 22.72. Source Since then Iowa has been ranked 26-28. Nope, Iowa is right about where it should be...

Source

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue May 11, 2010 12:00 pm

betasteve wrote:Gonna be an OSU troll and say OSU is under-ranked.

ftfm. Go Buckeyes.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Tue May 11, 2010 12:02 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I can't quite understand the Iowa hate that so often pervades these boards. The school isn't particularly selective for a T1, but its placement stats are similar to other regional schools like Minnesota, Illinois, or University of Washington. What am I missing?

I personally have nothing against Iowa, but many people only think of fields, toothlessness, corn mash, and big offensive lineman/bad big 10 football when they hear the name Iowa.

I'm from Iowa and I don't even know what the hell corn mash is. Regarding the toothlessness issue, that's a Southern thing as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, I don't doubt that Iowa is a place not everyone can love or see themselves living in. Hell, I grew up here and I have a serious love/hate relationship with the state. But, the school's placement stats are pretty decent.

I agree, the cornmash comment is based on moonshine production (a well documented Southern pass time/occupation/spring board to NASCAR racing).

The toothlessness on the other hand...well, that's just meth.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2009/07/22/Arts/12162.html

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:05 pm

OnWisconsin wrote:The toothlessness on the other hand...well, that's just meth.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2009/07/22/Arts/12162.html

Fair. We do so enjoy our meth.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue May 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Overranked:
Alabama
Minnesota
IU-B
American
Arizona State
Pepperdine
Miami

Underranked (or not ranked):
T3 schools-
South Carolina
Ole Miss
Memphis
Louisville
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Cleveland State
Last edited by deadpanic on Wed May 12, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

3 Stripes

Postby 3 Stripes » Tue May 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Overrated:
Cornell
Iowa
Notre Dame
Boston College
Emory

Underrated:
Howard
Hastings
George Mason
American
Southern Methodist
Maryland
UConn
Temple
Rutgers-Newark
Northeastern

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue May 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Overrated:
Northwestern

Underrated:
Georgetown

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Over Ranked:

Duke
UVA
UPenn
Michigan
BOALT
NYU
GW
WUSTL
USC
Vanderbilt
UT
UCLA
GULC

Underranked:

Northwestern
UIUC

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue May 11, 2010 12:24 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote:I think texas tech is under rated. Nearly identical 25th-75th numbers as 80 ranked LSU and they are not even T2. I know Lubbock sux, but Ill bet they will make the top 100 in the next 3-5 years. Nebraska made the jump and I think tech will be following soon.

LSU is the flagship university in the state. Nebraska is also the flagship university in its state. Texas Tech is just an also ran in Texas though.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Tue May 11, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue May 11, 2010 12:27 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

I think the original question was why there is such a negative image of the school despite its placement stats. My response was not meant to be taken for its truth; I was simply pointing out that there are certain states that will always have image problems, even if people have to pull reasons out of their ass.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue May 11, 2010 12:31 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:Over Ranked:

Duke
UVA
UPenn
Michigan
BOALT
NYU
GW
WUSTL
USC
Vanderbilt
UT
UCLA
GULC
That's some amazing Cornell trolling.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Tue May 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Fordham = Most under ranked school this year

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue May 11, 2010 12:32 pm

sdv wrote:Pitt. Closest T1 geographically is Ohio State, and the next closest is Georgetown (really). Unquestioned, unchallenged dominant placement in its region, which also happens to be the most livable city in America, and houses 2 of the top 20 NLJ 250.

Is UPENN not close to Pitt?

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:33 pm

deadpanic wrote:Overranked:
Alabama
Minnesota
IU-B
American
Arizona State
Pepperdine

Underranked (or not ranked):
T3 schools-
South Carolina
Ole Miss
Memphis
Louisville
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Cleveland State

ok, a couple people have listed minnesota. reasoning?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue May 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Also, I really don't see how Howard is underrated.

For obvious reasons, the top 20% or so of their class places well, but their incoming numbers are low, scholly requirements are insane, 40% of their students don't pass the bar, they don't have a very large selection of course, the facilities (aside from the library) are poor, the administration is a disorganized mess, and the professors don't mind telling you over and over that the school/administration are a mess.

That is my opinion though. Although I suppose I could just be a self loathing black guy/uncle tom (pre-emptive strike for all you urm's out there that think it is sacrilege to hold yourself to as high a standard as is expected for the rest of society).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Duke
UVA
UPenn
Michigan
BOALT
NYU
GW
WUSTL
USC
Vanderbilt
UT
UCLA
GULC

Underranked:

Northwestern
UIUC

So wait... 6 of the top-10 are overranked and 6 of the 11-20 schools are overranked? Including Vanderbilt, which is the only school to increase its NLJ 250 numbers this year?

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Tue May 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Over Ranked
'Bama (relies on being the T1 for its state but what does it offer besides that?)
U San Diego (High tuition, Scholarship aid not great, feeds its grad into small deflated SD Market)
Miami
Chapman (see below but they openly talk at their school about gaming the rankings to go from T4-dom to like 90)

Under Ranked
Hastings (For Reasons already repeated in this thread)
UCLA
Southwestern (Hey if Chapman can get in the T100 I don't see why not)
Fordham

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:57 pm

MoS wrote:
sdv wrote:Pitt. Closest T1 geographically is Ohio State, and the next closest is Georgetown (really). Unquestioned, unchallenged dominant placement in its region, which also happens to be the most livable city in America, and houses 2 of the top 20 NLJ 250.

Is UPENN not close to Pitt?

It's like 320+ miles away.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Duke
UVA
UPenn
Michigan
BOALT
NYU
GW
WUSTL
USC
Vanderbilt
UT
UCLA
GULC

Underranked:

Northwestern
UIUC

So wait... 6 of the top-10 are overranked and 6 of the 11-20 schools are overranked? Including Vanderbilt, which is the only school to increase its NLJ 250 numbers this year?

Crap. Forgot to include Cornell in the overranked section. Apparently my moving NU and IL up that far was too subtle.

Return to “Law School FAQ”