Advice for a Freshman in College (Please) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Gold

Re: Advice for a Freshman in College (Please)

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Take classes you can do well in, enjoy college but don't do anything stupid. You'd be amazed at how many underage drinking, DUI, assault, alcohol in dorms ticket, etc threads get started every year. You will have to explain everything...even traffic tickets at some schools.

misspippers

New

Re: Advice for a Freshman in College (Please)

Post by misspippers » Sun May 09, 2010 5:30 pm

captainculpepper wrote:Well to begin I'm not quite a freshman but I will be attending UNC undergrad starting this Fall. I've been stalking these forums for about a month now and I've learned a lot that surprised me (GPA and LSAT being so important, where undergrad was doesn't really matter, etc.). I realize that many people will say I'm not even in college and my plans for life will most likely change. This is probably true but I figured I might as well found out some information about law school because I've always thought I would want to be a lawyer. The questions I have are as followed:

I've read in a couple of places that school look negatively on dropping classes is this true? Also what is the difference from a punitive withdraw and a regular one besides one counting as an F?

Classes you would advise me taking?

What made you want to law school?

Do most law schools use Socratic method?

This is kind of not law school related but has anyone done Teach for America and how did they feel about the program?

What is Law Review and why is it so important to be on it?

Finally should I avoid reading this site and not waste my time considering I probably won’t be applying for another 5 or 6 years?

Any answers would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks.
First, I would say that the biggest mistake you could make in undergrad is to see it purely as an intermediary step between hs and law school. Enjoy college, pick a major that you ENJOY, and take your life from there. Law schools welcome Art History, Engineering, Education, and Math majors, not just Philosophy or Political Science. Pick something that excites you.

Second, I am a Teach for America alum, so if you ever have any questions about TFA, let me know. I highly suggest the experience for SOME people, and would discourage it for anyone who wants to do it simply for a resume plug.

For now, take a deep breath, enjoy being a freshman, and go to plenty of Tarheel basketball games.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”