Housing and Pets

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
_confunded_

Housing and Pets

Postby _confunded_ » Sat May 08, 2010 2:44 pm

This might be a strange topic, but I couldn't find any information on this on the web. I'm not sure where I'm going yet (will be applying in the fall, most likely), but I'm looking at Brooklyn, Cardozo, and Northeastern as my top choices. I don't want to work my first year, so I'd like to live in school-owned housing... but I have a cat.
So does anyone know if law schools are generally okay with or against bringing a cat into unfurnished, school-owned apartments? Do they treat their apartments like dorms (no pets) or regular apartments (some allow, some don't)? I know this question seems premature since I haven't even applied anywhere yet, but any info (especially about the schools I mentioned) would be great. Thanks!

bk1

Re: Housing and Pets

Postby bk1 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Most of the school-owned housing that I have come in contact or asked about seem to be dorm-like a lot of the time and have a no pet policy.

I asked BLS, they said no. I do not know about Cardozo or Northeastern, contact them to find out but I would not be too hopeful.

EDIT: Why does not working your first year mean you don't want to live in a privately owned apartment?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat May 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Im planning on taking my 150lb great dane with me. Just get a private apt or a shared apartment. It can work.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat May 08, 2010 8:52 pm

gdane5 wrote:Im planning on taking my 150lb great dane with me. Just get a private apt or a shared apartment. It can work.

This. My roommate and I live six blocks from our school, pay less than the dorms cost, and have pets.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Ohh, Soprano, you changed the Panda? I liked it...

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Sun May 09, 2010 11:49 am

I do know of one law school that has some school-affiliated housing in which a few of the apartments allow pets, but that's it. And it's not one of the ones you're looking at, either.

I'm guessing you're going to need to choose between your pet and living in the dorms. If it's just about cost, find a roommate or two--dorms are usually overpriced anyway. If you really want to live in the dorms for other reasons, you'll probably need to find someone to take your cat for that year.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun May 09, 2010 12:05 pm

gdane5 wrote:Ohh, Soprano, you changed the Panda? I liked it...

I could bring it back again, but I felt we needed some inspiration for finals... My panda lives in the San Diego Zoo, and it was kind of a surreal moment when she stopped munching and looked up at me.

_confunded_

Postby _confunded_ » Mon May 10, 2010 8:21 pm

bk1 wrote:EDIT: Why does not working your first year mean you don't want to live in a privately owned apartment?

I just assumed it would be easier to take out the extra money in student loans and put part of it toward room/board. But I suppose I could take out a separate loan to use for living expenses.

To the person who said they live in an apartment that is cheaper than the dorms... where are you? Part of the reason I was looking at the dorms is that I'm scared of how expensive the NYC area is, having never lived there before (I'm in Rochester right now... which I imagine is much, MUCH cheaper). Boston is pretty expensive, too.

yeff

Postby yeff » Mon May 10, 2010 8:39 pm

_confunded_ wrote:
bk1 wrote:EDIT: Why does not working your first year mean you don't want to live in a privately owned apartment?

I just assumed it would be easier to take out the extra money in student loans and put part of it toward room/board. But I suppose I could take out a separate loan to use for living expenses.

To the person who said they live in an apartment that is cheaper than the dorms... where are you? Part of the reason I was looking at the dorms is that I'm scared of how expensive the NYC area is, having never lived there before (I'm in Rochester right now... which I imagine is much, MUCH cheaper). Boston is pretty expensive, too.

Regardless of where you go, the school calculates a cost-of-attendance that includes room and board for their area, books, tuition, fees, etc., and if you're taking out loans for whole thing, you use your loans to pay for rent. Doesn't matter whether it is university housing or not.

_confunded_

Postby _confunded_ » Mon May 10, 2010 9:28 pm

yeff wrote:Regardless of where you go, the school calculates a cost-of-attendance that includes room and board for their area, books, tuition, fees, etc., and if you're taking out loans for whole thing, you use your loans to pay for rent. Doesn't matter whether it is university housing or not.

Good to know! :)

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Mon May 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Return to “Law School FAQ”