reapply?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
OhWell

reapply?

Postby OhWell » Fri May 07, 2010 10:39 pm

I applied this year with 166/3.74 and was accepted to UC Hastings, BU, Loyola, and Pepperdine. I feel that my LSAT really held me back. I scored much lower than I thought I would, but hoped at the time that it would get me much further than it did. I consistently scored 170+ on diagnostics and during the actual test I had a bit of a breakdown and didn't answer a handful of questions in one section.. I didn't even bubble them in randomly.

I hope to eventually be employed in CA and even though Hastings has good job placement, I feel unsatisfied with my options.

I'm considering retaking the LSAT and getting some work experience, but I'm worried that if I reapply and still can't do much better then I won't be accepted to Hastings and whatnot again because I initially turned those schools down.

Opinions?

iShotFirst

Re: reapply?

Postby iShotFirst » Fri May 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Well I dont think you have to worry too much about not getting accepted next year, but can you get a decent job? If you are just getting a job selling hotdogs or doing retail, its up to you to figure out if a year of boring work is going to be worth it.

OhWell

Postby OhWell » Fri May 07, 2010 10:51 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Well I dont think you have to worry too much about not getting accepted next year, but can you get a decent job? If you are just getting a job selling hotdogs or doing retail, its up to you to figure out if a year of boring work is going to be worth it.

I would try to get a job as a legal assistant, but it's not a guarantee.

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Fri May 07, 2010 11:04 pm

If you think you can break 170 then I say retake. You obviously aren't very satisfied with how your cycle went so it would be silly to go to school thinking 'what if...'

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Assuming that you do not consistently breakdown on tests, and considering you have a high GPA and got 170+ on diagnostics, I would say retake and reapply because you feel unsatisfied.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Sat May 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Retake and apply early (if you didn't apply early this cycle, you definitely should retake and reapply). Make sure you re-write your PS. If you want CA, you should be looking for a few points to get you in the range of UCLA/USC. It is a very attainable goal given your PLSAT scores. There is also Davis/Irvine. And you would be a very strong student for Hastings, so it is unlikely they'll hold the unwillingness to attend against you (mention the desire for work experience pre-law, etc. in your PS).

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sat May 08, 2010 5:29 pm

First, those aren't bad options. You've gotten into some good schools. Presumably, some are probably with decent money as well, given your numbers.

Second, the problem with a school such as, say, UCLA Law... is that even though your numbers are in their ballpark, you don't hit median with either or them (median being a 168 and a 3.77). With the way admissions work, if you can hit median on at least one of their two numbers, they will usually have an easier time working you into the charts. This is how splitters sometimes get in with seemingly unusual number combos. As long as they are "helping" the school with one number, they will have an easier time.

I'm really surprised you didn't get at least a waitlist out of USC (I'm assuming you applied given your interest in CA). If you're interested in USC, then I honestly think that one extra LSAT point would probably help. Because then you would be keeping their desired LSAT median stable (at a 167) while actually bringing up their GPA median (a 3.6 most recently). That's what they look for; the same could be said of someone with a 168, 3.6 at USC.

It's a personal decision whether or not to re-apply. I mean, if it were me I would probably go to one of the schools you have there because I would just want to get on with law school. But then again, I don't have a monumental desire to be in CA like some. If you do re-apply, make sure your LORs and PS is solid, as well as your application in general. Also, apply early (before Thanksgiving ideally). There's a whole lot to be said of an application that is put together really well.

OhWell

Postby OhWell » Sat May 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a lot to take into consideration.

I got $ at most schools, but not at Hastings and I'm not going to lie.. it really bothered me.

I read on a blog (law school expert, I think) that if you're thinking of reapplying don't even bother to work as a legal assistant/get licensed as a paralegal because admissions ppl won't be impressed, or really care... I don't understand. Without a JD what other kind of legal experience can you get?! I'm not going to pull off something amazing within a year..

The only other law school graduate I've consulted felt very adamantly that it would be a terrible terrible decision.. Of course I'm terrified myself that I might do the same/worse on the LSAT. I've been very good with standardized tests in the past (SATs), but there's always the possibility.. Any re-applicants out there who ended up doing worse/same on their LSAT?
Last edited by OhWell on Sun May 09, 2010 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sat May 08, 2010 7:31 pm

How late in the game did you apply? That can be a much bigger factor than some people realize. If you didn't apply until sometime in January, applying before Thanksgiving can make a ton of difference.

As for Hastings... did you try actually asking them for money? If you need suggestions on how to do it, feel free to PM me or someone else. Asking got me an extra 5.5K/year. You just never know... so it's worth a shot.

OhWell

Postby OhWell » Sat May 08, 2010 8:09 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:How late in the game did you apply? That can be a much bigger factor than some people realize. If you didn't apply until sometime in January, applying before Thanksgiving can make a ton of difference.

As for Hastings... did you try actually asking them for money? If you need suggestions on how to do it, feel free to PM me or someone else. Asking got me an extra 5.5K/year. You just never know... so it's worth a shot.

I applied early! I applied to every school by late October. I thought about asking for $, but I kept holding out until I heard back from USC, which turned out to be really late. I'm not sure it's worth a shot now that I paid my first deposit, but thanks for offering! I'll PM you if I change my mind :)

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sat May 08, 2010 10:41 pm

OhWell wrote: I thought about asking for $, but I kept holding out until I heard back from USC, which turned out to be really late. I'm not sure it's worth a shot now that I paid my first deposit

It's worth it. You have literally nothing to lose and potentially a few thousand dollars to gain. The worst they can do is say no. And at best, they'll say "sure, we'll give you X dollars." I dunno, just my thought on it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:04 am

OhWell wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a lot to take into consideration.

I thought I might be waitlisted at USC too, but I was rejected last week. I got $ at most schools, but not at Hastings and I'm not going to lie.. it really bothered me.

I read on a blog (law school expert, I think) that if you're thinking of reapplying don't even bother to work as a legal assistant/get licensed as a paralegal because admissions ppl won't be impressed, or really care... I don't understand. Without a JD what other kind of legal experience can you get?! I'm not going to pull off something amazing within a year..

The only other law school graduate I've consulted with is my cousin and she felt very adamantly that it would be a terrible terrible decision.. Of course I'm terrified myself that I might do the same/worse on the LSAT. I've been very good with standardized tests in the past (SATs), but there's always the possibility.. Any re-applicants out there who ended up doing worse/same on their LSAT?

From what people have said, experience is a fairly mediocre soft in general. Increasing your LSAT to over 170, especially if it is the 172+ will most likely give you tons of options. As has been said, for most adcomms it is a numbers game for the USNWR. Thus I would focus on mostly on getting your LSAT up. The 1 year of experience won't hurt, but it probably won't help. The exception to this might be NU, but I am not sure if 1 year (1/2 year or so at the time of application) will tip the scales in your favor for them.

As for retakes, it seems rare for people to do worse or the same. What I would be worried about is getting less than 2-4 points better.

OhWell

Postby OhWell » Sun May 09, 2010 6:14 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
OhWell wrote: I thought about asking for $, but I kept holding out until I heard back from USC, which turned out to be really late. I'm not sure it's worth a shot now that I paid my first deposit

It's worth it. You have literally nothing to lose and potentially a few thousand dollars to gain. The worst they can do is say no. And at best, they'll say "sure, we'll give you X dollars." I dunno, just my thought on it.

good point

OhWell

Postby OhWell » Sun May 09, 2010 6:16 pm

bk1 wrote:From what people have said, experience is a fairly mediocre soft in general. Increasing your LSAT to over 170, especially if it is the 172+ will most likely give you tons of options. As has been said, for most adcomms it is a numbers game for the USNWR. Thus I would focus on mostly on getting your LSAT up. The 1 year of experience won't hurt, but it probably won't help. The exception to this might be NU, but I am not sure if 1 year (1/2 year or so at the time of application) will tip the scales in your favor for them.

As for retakes, it seems rare for people to do worse or the same. What I would be worried about is getting less than 2-4 points better.

I see.. I hope I don't turn out to be the exception. I wish I didn't hear back from USC sooo late! I would have prepared for the June LSAT and been able to hold on to my options in the meantime.

I'm sorta considering taking it in June even though I only have a month to prepare and the last time I took my LSAT was my sophomore year.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 pm

The job market is difficult...you aren't even a cinch to find work. Personally I have been unsuccessful at that endeavour for a year. I did find myself in a similar position as yourself and decided to retake in June. However I wouldn't have been able to do so if I didn't have financial stability. So if you can financially survive in the event that you aren't able to work...retake!

Return to “Law School FAQ”