T6 Law school - hard for lib art grads to regret? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
CordeliusX

Bronze

T6 Law school - hard for lib art grads to regret?

Post by CordeliusX » Mon May 03, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm sure this tale has been told a countless times... I'm about to enroll. I have an otherwise useless degree. :cry: I graduated a few years back so I can't apply fresh to consultancies, etc as far as I know. I doubt I can break into any lucrative, non dead-end jobs without getting an advanced degree, unless you subscribe to the "work your way up over 15 years" philosophy. At the moment, I'm not in an industry that would get me into a top b-school.

If you are like me, I don't see how a T6 school could hurt you, even if you dislike the work and the short-termcareer path of biglaw. (assuming you don't stick with big law...). It seems to be the inevitable pathway. I realize people say "don't go into law if you don't WANT to be a lawyer etc etc etc" but I think the assumption is the candidate could go into other decent industries as an alternative. I'd appreciate input on this.

tintin

Silver

Re: T6 Law school - hard for lib art grads to regret?

Post by tintin » Mon May 03, 2010 3:46 pm

i guess this depends on how much the tuition bill is and how lucrative your post-biglaw career path is.

sixburgher

New

Post by sixburgher » Mon May 03, 2010 3:51 pm

You sound like law school isn't something you want to do, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks that T6 is a mistake.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon May 03, 2010 10:32 pm

I see:
"TLS, I'm existential crisis over whether or not to attend a T6. Help me."

I understand:
"LOLZ I GOTS INTO CCN. FUCK OFF NOOBS!"

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon May 03, 2010 10:34 pm

CordeliusX wrote:I'm sure this tale has been told a countless times... I'm about to enroll. I have an otherwise useless degree. :cry: I graduated a few years back so I can't apply fresh to consultancies, etc as far as I know. I doubt I can break into any lucrative, non dead-end jobs without getting an advanced degree, unless you subscribe to the "work your way up over 15 years" philosophy. At the moment, I'm not in an industry that would get me into a top b-school.

If you are like me, I don't see how a T6 school could hurt you, even if you dislike the work and the short-termcareer path of biglaw. (assuming you don't stick with big law...). It seems to be the inevitable pathway. I realize people say "don't go into law if you don't WANT to be a lawyer etc etc etc" but I think the assumption is the candidate could go into other decent industries as an alternative. I'd appreciate input on this.
Add not getting biglaw to the formula.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopin10

New

Post by hopin10 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Strategy consulting firms take a variety of backgrounds--liberal arts included.

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Tue May 04, 2010 1:32 am

Have you ever thought to ask: what do I want to do?

I'm hearing instead: how can I make a lot of money?

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue May 04, 2010 1:39 am

mwazaumoja wrote:Have you ever thought to ask: what do I want to do?

I think the OP's dilemma (and one that a lot of Lib arts majors have) is that, he can't just go do what he wants to do...especially without an advanced degree... and he cant get a top mba cause he doesn't have that kinda work exp. and cant get it anytime soon cause he's got a useless lib arts degree. I was a lib arts major and I'd like to do a lot of stuff but you know what...it aint gonna happen (esp w/o an advanced degree that says pratical skills), so you look at your options and pick the best one... often for lib arts majors who want to make at least some money in the near future...that path is law school...the ideal is not an option imao, at least not right now.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:42 am

Getting my liberal arts degree was just a stop on the way to what I actually always wanted to do (go to law school).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Tue May 04, 2010 11:31 am

Joga Bonito wrote:

I think the OP's dilemma (and one that a lot of Lib arts majors have) is that, he can't just go do what he wants to do...especially without an advanced degree... and he cant get a top mba cause he doesn't have that kinda work exp. and cant get it anytime soon cause he's got a useless lib arts degree. I was a lib arts major and I'd like to do a lot of stuff but you know what...it aint gonna happen (esp w/o an advanced degree that says pratical skills), so you look at your options and pick the best one... often for lib arts majors who want to make at least some money in the near future...that path is law school...the ideal is not an option imao, at least not right now.
Yeah that's it exactly. Picking from the best option on the menu given. Doesn't mean McDonald's is serving you filet mignon.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 am

sixburgher wrote:You sound like law school isn't something you want to do, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks that T6 is a mistake.
Going almost a quarter million dollars in debt to do a job you don't want to do is insane. Worse yet, even at the T6, you've got a 25% chance of missing big law and making only marginally more than you can with a BA anyway.

Don't go.

Most people who make tons of money don't start making it from day 1.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:45 am

What if what you want to do is make a lot of money?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:45 am

Desert Fox wrote:
sixburgher wrote:You sound like law school isn't something you want to do, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks that T6 is a mistake.
Going almost a quarter million dollars in debt to do a job you don't want to do is insane. Worse yet, even at the T6, you've got a 25% chance of missing big law and making only marginally more than you can with a BA anyway.

Don't go.

But those people are the rule, we're the exceptions :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:46 am

starstruck393 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Don't go.

160K in NYC doesn't go very far with 220K in debt.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:51 am

Desert Fox wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Don't go.

It'd be at least $200k with the Wachtell bonus. Plus, biglaw salaries will surely have gone up in 3 years

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:53 am

starstruck393 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Going almost a quarter million dollars in debt to do a job you don't want to do is insane. Worse yet, even at the T6, you've got a 25% chance of missing big law and making only marginally more than you can with a BA anyway.

Don't go.

It'd be at least $200k with the Wachtell bonus. Plus, biglaw salaries will surely have gone up in 3 years
Don't forget the Supreme Court clerking bonus they will pay after you clerk.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
starstruck393 wrote: Going almost a quarter million dollars in debt to do a job you don't want to do is insane. Worse yet, even at the T6, you've got a 25% chance of missing big law and making only marginally more than you can with a BA anyway.

Don't go.

Don't forget the Supreme Court clerking bonus they will pay after you clerk.
Exactly. How could I have forgotten that?!? :oops:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Tue May 04, 2010 11:58 am

Personally, I dont see that much wrong with OP's question. Law school is expensive; it is largely a cost/benefit evaluation and the calculus is almost exclusively in terms of dollars and cents.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Don't go.

Desert Fox = the Nouriel Roubini of TLS

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue May 04, 2010 11:59 am

Translation: I don't know what else to do and I'm too awesome to not have an important job.

Law can be high stress and heavy workload. Going into it because you can't think of anything else to do is wasting several years of your life. Sentiments like in the OP are why there are so many desperately unhappy lawyers.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Tue May 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Don't go.

How do you figure 250K in debt? I was planning on more like 100+K :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:21 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Don't go.

How do you figure 250K in debt? I was planning on more like 100+K :oops:
Are you planning on getting a scholarship? Cost of attendance for NYU for this last year is 70K per year. And tuition costs up every year. Plan on around 220K.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue May 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Name one great decision that started with "well I can't think of anything else to do."

Except for my parents conceiving me, there are none. I'm the mistake that proves the rule.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Tue May 04, 2010 12:49 pm

NayBoer wrote:Name one great decision that started with "well I can't think of anything else to do."

Except for my parents conceiving me, there are none. I'm the mistake that proves the rule.
Sounds a lot like my life from ages 13 through 18.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue May 04, 2010 12:53 pm

NayBoer wrote:I don't know what else to do and I'm too awesome to not have an important job.
accounts for... what, half of law students? 60%?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”