how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby mz253 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:33 pm

deleted
Last edited by mz253 on Fri May 21, 2010 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby holydonkey » Mon May 03, 2010 2:37 pm

I hope it isn't williams. I hate williams kids. Anyhoo, they don't care what school you went to, it's all about the gpa.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Image


Just sayin'.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:39 pm

holydonkey wrote:I hope it isn't williams. I hate williams kids. Anyhoo, they don't care what school you went to, it's all about the gpa.


Your gpa will be the same as everyone else's. Better score well on the lsat.

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon May 03, 2010 2:40 pm

I wonder how they look at Wellesley. I hear their grade deflation is debilitating.

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby Mr. Pablo » Mon May 03, 2010 2:41 pm

They don't care where you went to school or what you studied as long as your numbers are higher than their medians.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby ughOSU » Mon May 03, 2010 2:42 pm

mz253 wrote:however, now i'm at this ivy league school and surrounded by PhD students. most of them went to state schools and are really really smart. the frustrating thing is that LOTS OF THEM have never heard of liberal arts colleges or even if they have, they think we are little spoiled children who burned our parents' money without learning any practical skills.

As a holder of one of those liberal arts school degrees, I can say that they are mostly correct about this.

Law schools won't really care.

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon May 03, 2010 2:43 pm

They marginally care. We definitely see more GPA forgiveness, although moderate, for Ivys. So it is legitimate to ask whether the same happens for top liberal arts.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby mz253 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

how about schools give A+? my school stopped giving A+ officially long long ago. So even if you get all As for four years, your maximum GPA is 4.00.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby Danteshek » Mon May 03, 2010 2:49 pm

I went to Wesleyan. It didn't help me get into law school, but it helped me (a little) get an externship with a federal judge. It might help you on the margins as you look for work. Everything that is on your resume will impact your chances to some extent.

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby Mr. Pablo » Mon May 03, 2010 9:57 pm

mz253 wrote:how about schools give A+? my school stopped giving A+ officially long long ago. So even if you get all As for four years, your maximum GPA is 4.00.

Yeah, they still don't care, but a 4.00 is still above every school's median so you shouldn't worry. Its all about the medians.

Tofu
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby Tofu » Wed May 05, 2010 6:26 pm

going to a top lac seems like it helps as a soft factor (there's more gpa forgiveness, especially for schools like williams/amherst/swarthmore)

NYCbound
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby NYCbound » Wed May 05, 2010 8:11 pm

While I was at ASDs for Columbia, someone in the admissions office made the comment that my liberal arts school (a top 5 LAC) was "really hot right now". I doubt it provides much of an advantage, but she made very clear that adcoms seemed to really like students from my school this cycle.

User avatar
RonArtest
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby RonArtest » Wed May 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Like you went to CC.

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby scionb4 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:45 pm

i wonder if ls admissions officers would have the similar impression? honestly, i studied really hard in undergraduate, and i really don't want them to think that i'm just a useless humanities major.


Looking at the undergrad institution list of attending students at the schools you are looking at attending. You will see schools on the list that you have never heard of. You will see schools that everyone has heard of. Law schools like diversity.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby KMaine » Wed May 05, 2010 8:46 pm

NYCbound wrote:While I was at ASDs for Columbia, someone in the admissions office made the comment that my liberal arts school (a top 5 LAC) was "really hot right now". I doubt it provides much of an advantage, but she made very clear that adcoms seemed to really like students from my school this cycle.


Was the person in the admissions office that dude from Zoolander?

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby hannah87 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm

KMaine wrote:
NYCbound wrote:While I was at ASDs for Columbia, someone in the admissions office made the comment that my liberal arts school (a top 5 LAC) was "really hot right now". I doubt it provides much of an advantage, but she made very clear that adcoms seemed to really like students from my school this cycle.


Was the person in the admissions office that dude from Zoolander?


Jacobim Mugatu!

toaster2
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby toaster2 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:51 pm

.
Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby KMaine » Wed May 05, 2010 8:53 pm

hannah87 wrote:
KMaine wrote:
NYCbound wrote:While I was at ASDs for Columbia, someone in the admissions office made the comment that my liberal arts school (a top 5 LAC) was "really hot right now". I doubt it provides much of an advantage, but she made very clear that adcoms seemed to really like students from my school this cycle.


Was the person in the admissions office that dude from Zoolander?


Jacobim Mugatu!


Exactly, Mugatu! If it was him, I am glad he landed on his feet after that Derilicte debacle.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: how do law school look at top liberal arts college?

Postby hannah87 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:54 pm

KMaine wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
KMaine wrote:
NYCbound wrote:While I was at ASDs for Columbia, someone in the admissions office made the comment that my liberal arts school (a top 5 LAC) was "really hot right now". I doubt it provides much of an advantage, but she made very clear that adcoms seemed to really like students from my school this cycle.


Was the person in the admissions office that dude from Zoolander?


Jacobim Mugatu!


Exactly, Mugatu! If it was him, I am glad he landed on his feet after that Derilicte debacle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

and good luck, mz253!




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests