Backpack or Man Purse/Satchel Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Backpack or Man Purse

Backpack
64%
Man Purse
36%

Total votes: 278

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Re: Backpack or Man Purse/Satchel

Post by T14_Scholly » Thu May 06, 2010 10:48 am

Pearalegal wrote:
vexion wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Really not true when you're talking about walking in to a firm.
Anyone who walks into a firm with a backpack doesn't deserve the job. But for school, backpack all the way. It's more spacious, more evenly distributes weight, and looks perfectly normal.
A lot of young associates carry backpacks. All are making more money than you. Many use them because they need space for both their laptops and their gym clothes.

....no one gives a fuck. Its not like they walk into meetings with their bags. No one walks into any meetings with any type of bags. Firms hire people to carry all the shit you need for you and set it up before you get there.

Trust me, as a paralegal at a V10 firm, I know the pain of being a pack mule.
Thanks for establishing that you're at a V10. After all, just as V10 associates are on the forefront of prestige, they are also on the forefront of everyday bag use.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Thu May 06, 2010 10:50 am

Your classmates will judge you if you haven't achieved a balance of stylishness and effectiveness in the type of bag you choose.

MTC87

New

Post by MTC87 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:31 am

can anyone suggest a decent small-mid sized duffel bag? i dont get how people fit books, a laptop, and gym clothes and sneakers into a backpack, it just doesnt work for me.

JoyceL1986

New

Post by JoyceL1986 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 pm

--ImageRemoved--

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
vexion wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Really not true when you're talking about walking in to a firm.
Anyone who walks into a firm with a backpack doesn't deserve the job. But for school, backpack all the way. It's more spacious, more evenly distributes weight, and looks perfectly normal.
A lot of young associates carry backpacks. All are making more money than you. Many use them because they need space for both their laptops and their gym clothes.

....no one gives a fuck. Its not like they walk into meetings with their bags. No one walks into any meetings with any type of bags. Firms hire people to carry all the shit you need for you and set it up before you get there.

Would wearing a backpack mess up your suit?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri May 07, 2010 8:20 am

Backpack with a suit is a heinous misjudgment. I don't care who's doing it.

FWIW--you can get a Coach bag fairly cheaply on eBay if you're patient. There are both traditional briefcase and messenger bag styles, and they are close to indestructible.

If you're considering a messenger bag to use with a bike, make sure you get one with a "third leg" stabilizing strap. The others are really just glorified bookbags (fine for regular use.)

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Sat May 08, 2010 11:00 am

Stanford4Me wrote:I'm going to use my Swiss Army backpack. Love it. I carry too much stuff for a messenger bag.
I have the same backpack. It is great.

cake

New

Post by cake » Sat May 08, 2010 11:49 am

McBean wrote:
cake wrote:I've used one of these all 1L year: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/fire ... rief/15030#

It wouldn't have worked for me if I didn't cut the bindings off my books and drill them for a 3-ring binder, but it was great and didn't bother me in my ~.5 mile walk to school. I have a much more formal briefcase on order right now, since it is starting to wear out after 6 years of use. But the $10/year I've paid for it has definitely been worth it.

Wait, you do what?!
I brought my books to Kinko's, had them cut the cover/spine off, then drill three holes through the pages' inner margin. This way, I just had to bring one binder with all the pages needed for the week and avoided dealing with the annoying size/shape of casebooks. It also made it easier to take notes on the inner margin, which is nice.

extragnarls

New

Post by extragnarls » Sat May 08, 2010 8:22 pm

cake wrote:
McBean wrote:
cake wrote:I've used one of these all 1L year: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/fire ... rief/15030#

It wouldn't have worked for me if I didn't cut the bindings off my books and drill them for a 3-ring binder, but it was great and didn't bother me in my ~.5 mile walk to school. I have a much more formal briefcase on order right now, since it is starting to wear out after 6 years of use. But the $10/year I've paid for it has definitely been worth it.

Wait, you do what?!
I brought my books to Kinko's, had them cut the cover/spine off, then drill three holes through the pages' inner margin. This way, I just had to bring one binder with all the pages needed for the week and avoided dealing with the annoying size/shape of casebooks. It also made it easier to take notes on the inner margin, which is nice.
How much did that cost, if you don't mind?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Mon May 10, 2010 11:01 pm

I'd like to know this too.

Here's a post on this (from a mailing list) found via Google:

http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/Week ... 46739.html

cake

New

Post by cake » Wed May 12, 2010 1:50 pm

extragnarls wrote:
cake wrote:
McBean wrote:

Wait, you do what?!
How much did that cost, if you don't mind?
I think I paid $7.50 per book at Kinko's. So, about $10 once I bought a binder too keep the rest organized at home.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:53 pm

I started 1L year w/ messanger bag, but couldn't quite fit in all of the books that I needed, so I switched to a backpack.

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Wed May 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Thu May 13, 2010 1:44 pm

kalvano wrote:Image
The Gizmo bag is credited.

I'm not cool enough to rock one of those... so I got a large timbuk2 with a sleeve for my laptop.

RUQRU

Bronze

Post by RUQRU » Sun May 16, 2010 7:08 pm

This is all you need:

MORGAN #83345
Leather 17" Litigator Laptop Brief

http://www.mckleinusa.com/83345.html

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue May 18, 2010 8:09 pm

Backpacks screw up your center of gravity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:53 am

Sorry to revive this semi-old thread, but I did a search and didn't find any info. Aside from the backpack/messenger bag dilemma, how much do you actually have to carry to and from class? I know I need my laptop, gym clothes, etc. But how many books, notebooks, and/or study aids should I expect to carry on a regular basis? (My back is already jacked up, so I hope not many.)

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:00 am

thorntll wrote:Sorry to revive this semi-old thread, but I did a search and didn't find any info. Aside from the backpack/messenger bag dilemma, how much do you actually have to carry to and from class? I know I need my laptop, gym clothes, etc. But how many books, notebooks, and/or study aids should I expect to carry on a regular basis? (My back is already jacked up, so I hope not many.)
Depends. If you do all of your studying at school and have a locker (which you probably will) you can leave everything at school. If you're like me and like to work at home, you'll be carrying books back and forth. I live super close to school though, so I can go back home before the gym or between classes to grab lunch/switch books out etc. if I need to.

Alternative to make the books weigh less is to go to kinkos and have them 'unbound' into a 3 ring binder but this probably will destroy the resale value and I only know a couple people who have done this.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:08 am

T14_Scholly wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
vexion wrote:

Thanks for establishing that you're at a V10. After all, just as V10 associates are on the forefront of prestige, they are also on the forefront of everyday bag use.
I work at a federal agency. And I just use a nice leather messenger bag and then a plain black duffel for my workout stuff. It seems like this should be the norm. Not a backpack.

altoidz

New

Post by altoidz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:32 am

SAY NO TO THE MURSE
YOU ARE NO EURO

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:55 am

animalcrkrs wrote:
thorntll wrote:Sorry to revive this semi-old thread, but I did a search and didn't find any info. Aside from the backpack/messenger bag dilemma, how much do you actually have to carry to and from class? I know I need my laptop, gym clothes, etc. But how many books, notebooks, and/or study aids should I expect to carry on a regular basis? (My back is already jacked up, so I hope not many.)
Depends. If you do all of your studying at school and have a locker (which you probably will) you can leave everything at school. If you're like me and like to work at home, you'll be carrying books back and forth. I live super close to school though, so I can go back home before the gym or between classes to grab lunch/switch books out etc. if I need to.

Alternative to make the books weigh less is to go to kinkos and have them 'unbound' into a 3 ring binder but this probably will destroy the resale value and I only know a couple people who have done this.
Thanks for reminding me about the lockers; I will have one. Unfortunately I won't live close to school and I like to study at home. I guess it's a dorky backpack for me, unless I want permanently crooked shoulders.

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:40 pm

I don't like the look of bookbags at all but I recommend it, especially for heavy loads. I have always used a messenger bag or a large tote for my books and I now have permanent shoulder damage. Even when I'm just laying in bed sometimes it hurts... especially if I am doing any kind of office work or studying. Basically the worst thing for a law student/lawyer. Get a backpack- and a good one.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Canarsie wrote:I don't like the look of bookbags at all but I recommend it, especially for heavy loads. I have always used a messenger bag or a large tote for my books and I now have permanent shoulder damage. Even when I'm just laying in bed sometimes it hurts... especially if I am doing any kind of office work or studying. Basically the worst thing for a law student/lawyer. Get a backpack- and a good one.
Go to the gym once in awhile buddy.

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Canarsie wrote:I don't like the look of bookbags at all but I recommend it, especially for heavy loads. I have always used a messenger bag or a large tote for my books and I now have permanent shoulder damage. Even when I'm just laying in bed sometimes it hurts... especially if I am doing any kind of office work or studying. Basically the worst thing for a law student/lawyer. Get a backpack- and a good one.
Go to the gym once in awhile buddy.
I do plus I went to physical therapy and an orthopedic surgeon. What happened is the heavy bags put pressure on the left shoulder and morphed the bones a bit to the point where the ball-socket joint doesn't fit as perfectly as it should. When I move my shoulder it creates friction and pain. I should note this started when I was 14 and is unlikely to happen in the same manner to someone who is 22, but it can still cause damage.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”