In it for the money? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
A'nold

Gold

Re: In it for the money?

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:02 pm

holydonkey wrote:
TheRagingBull wrote:
A'nold wrote:See my extremely funny and witty post that nobody commented on.
I didn't get it... sorry.

Now you'll have to explain your joke and we all know that explaining jokes simply ruins them. :wink:

You have no freaking idea how much that picture just made my day.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm pretty sure any information you get will be skewed but even that skewed information (for example, the median salary reported to USNWR) will show a definite decline from T14 (135k - 150k) to a T4 (60k at best)

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:03 pm

A'nold wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
TheRagingBull wrote:
A'nold wrote:See my extremely funny and witty post that nobody commented on.
I didn't get it... sorry.

Now you'll have to explain your joke and we all know that explaining jokes simply ruins them. :wink:

You have no freaking idea how much that picture just made my day.
lol too funny

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:04 pm

TheRagingBull wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Before this thread got sidetracked, there was some great advice. The important thing is to have an idea of the kind of law school you can get into before you decide to attend (take a few practice tests and study a bit, then time yourself on one that counts for you or take an official LSAT). Having this attitude is extremely important and will potentially save you from attending a TTT and failing at life, when you have really good alternatives.
So you're saying that graduating from a TTT would not provide a higher income than my current route with construction management? Do you have any numbers that show what TTT graduates are making? That is the the information that I am ultimately trying to find out.
http://tinyurl.com/2f5s8jj

What university are you graduating from?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Last edited by d34d9823 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheRagingBull

New

Post by TheRagingBull » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:26 pm

lostjake wrote:
TheRagingBull wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Before this thread got sidetracked, there was some great advice. The important thing is to have an idea of the kind of law school you can get into before you decide to attend (take a few practice tests and study a bit, then time yourself on one that counts for you or take an official LSAT). Having this attitude is extremely important and will potentially save you from attending a TTT and failing at life, when you have really good alternatives.
So you're saying that graduating from a TTT would not provide a higher income than my current route with construction management? Do you have any numbers that show what TTT graduates are making? That is the the information that I am ultimately trying to find out.
http://Error.com/2f5s8jj

What university are you graduating from?
Brigham Young University

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 pm

If you don't mind being there and think you can get into the law school its probably one of the better deals considering the low cost, high rank, and that people in the area want to be represented by lawyers from BYU.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

The two most underrated law schools in the country: BYU and UW-Seattle. Both schools are absolute powerhouses, for different reasons. BYU for mormons and the entire mountain west and UW for the entire Northwest.

TheRagingBull

New

Post by TheRagingBull » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:37 pm

lostjake wrote:If you don't mind being there and think you can get into the law school its probably one of the better deals considering the low cost, high rank, and that people in the area want to be represented by lawyers from BYU.
Oh man....there is NO WAY I could get into the law school here. It's way too competitive. It was hard enough getting into the Construction Management program here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jacktone

New

Post by Jacktone » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:46 pm

TheRagingBull wrote:
http://www.americanbarfoundation.org/up ... ts/ajd.pdf

Scroll down to page 44 to find some interesting data regarding school rank, GPA, and average starting salary. Keep in mind that the data is a few years old. It is prior to the recession, and, based on the average starting salaries of the Top 10 grads, it seems that market rate must have been closer to 135K back then. Today it is 160K, but those jobs are now harder to come by. Some even speculate that in the next few years we might see market rate actually decrease for the first time because the 160K is based on a business model that makes less sense ITE.

To focus more on your situation, I have no idea how hard it is to get a job in construction management or how much you can expect to make. General advice here on TLS is that for almost every law school in this country it does not make financial sense to attend without a substantial scholarship. If you do really well on the LSAT (99th percentile), then despite your GPA you could still make it into a T14, which could be worth paying for depending on your career goals. Based on your posts, it seems you are already set on a lower ranked school, though, so the bottom line is that if you enjoy the law, do well, and minimize your debt you can have a fulfilling career and a comfortable salary but probably never earn six figures. As other posters have already mentioned, get familiar with the LSAT and get a sense of where you will score because that score has more of an impact on the quality of the law schools you can attend than anything else does.

TheRagingBull

New

Post by TheRagingBull » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Jacktone wrote:
TheRagingBull wrote:
http://www.americanbarfoundation.org/up ... ts/ajd.pdf

Scroll down to page 44 to find some interesting data regarding school rank, GPA, and average starting salary. Keep in mind that the data is a few years old. It is prior to the recession, and, based on the average starting salaries of the Top 10 grads, it seems that market rate must have been closer to 135K back then. Today it is 160K, but those jobs are now harder to come by. Some even speculate that in the next few years we might see market rate actually decrease for the first time because the 160K is based on a business model that makes less sense ITE.

To focus more on your situation, I have no idea how hard it is to get a job in construction management or how much you can expect to make. General advice here on TLS is that for almost every law school in this country it does not make financial sense to attend without a substantial scholarship. If you do really well on the LSAT (99th percentile), then despite your GPA you could still make it into a T14, which could be worth paying for depending on your career goals. Based on your posts, it seems you are already set on a lower ranked school, though, so the bottom line is that if you enjoy the law, do well, and minimize your debt you can have a fulfilling career and a comfortable salary but probably never earn six figures. As other posters have already mentioned, get familiar with the LSAT and get a sense of where you will score because that score has more of an impact on the quality of the law schools you can attend than anything else does.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks for the link and the advice. I don't know about the economic outlook for attorneys, but 2011 is starting to look pretty good for construction as businesses are starting to grow a little again. I think I'll stick with construction management, as the salaries are very similar to that of attorneys and the fact that there is a slim chance I would get into a law school that would provide a foot in the door to a large firm that could pay higher salaries.

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:50 pm

I would suggest you pursue construction management. If you like them both equally then forgo the debt and extra schooling. Plus doing CM you will get to work outside from time to time, which you will probably never do in law.

Don't bother taking the LSAT until you decide to apply. If your heart isn't in it and you bomb it then you will have to take it again or wind up in a less-than-ideal situation.

There is no reason to go to law school unless you know for sure that law is what you want to do, and from your OP you have no preference. Plus, there is nothing that says after a few years you can't turn around and go to law school. I hear some school in Chicago likes people with work experience.

AllBusiness

New

Post by AllBusiness » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:57 am

Do you really possess enough self-hatred to go to law school? Go the construction management route. Actually contribute something to society.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”