Finals questions and 0L confusion

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby rockchalk86 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:58 am

Does anyone ever visit the forum for law students and read discussions about 1L finals questions? If you do... are you as confused as I am? I read a con law flow chart yesterday and understood maybe 10% of it. I'm not freaking out, but wow this shit looks crazy.

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby umichgrad » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:30 pm

maybe you'll get it once you take the class?

then again, maybe not?

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby 270910 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:26 pm

It'll be FUN :D

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby TTH » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Stay out of the deep end until you're swimming.

BobSacamano
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby BobSacamano » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:51 pm

I have my Con Law exam next week and I don't understand those flow charts.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby thecilent » Sat May 01, 2010 2:14 am

BobSacamano wrote:I have my Con Law exam next week and I don't understand those flow charts.


lol haha

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby A'nold » Sat May 01, 2010 2:21 am

1. I am a 1L that has not taken Con. Law and I don't understand anything anyone is talking about.
2. I've taken every other class and still don't know what people are talking about 1/2 of the time (it's all relative to what your prof. focuses on).
3. At least half the class really will not understand a subject before taking an exam.
4. To do well, you just need to be a little less confused than the others.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 01, 2010 2:24 am

TipTravHoot wrote:Stay out of the deep end until you're swimming.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12389
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby gdane » Sat May 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Its not that bad. I dont know many of the cases, but it makes sense. It's also very interesting. Im actually reading it for fun.

Its just kind of scary to think that one would have to memorize all of that. I guess thats why people recommend outlining with lots of time to spare.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby Aeroplane » Sat May 01, 2010 1:12 pm

gdane5 wrote:Its just kind of scary to think that one would have to memorize all of that. I guess thats why people recommend outlining with lots of time to spare.
Some profs will do totally closed-book exams, but I don't think it's the norm at all. I didn't have a single one this year (1L). If it's not closed book, then you don't have to memorize. You might still choose to, if you think it beneficial, but it's not a requirement for good performance.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby underachiever » Sat May 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Law School is not hard, just competitive and stressful b/c of the enconomy (I haven't found any of the material hard to grasp). But you have to see the trees and then the forest. The Con Law flow chart is just a forest and you get lost, you have to understand the various trees (cases and lines of cases) that interact to form the forest that is 1L Con law.....dont worry, you will get it

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby angioletto » Wed May 05, 2010 12:59 pm

What a timely question. As my kids are napping I thought I'd crack open an E&E a friend sent to me and browse through it. Bad idea. I felt like a 4th grader trying to do calculus.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:15 pm

angioletto wrote:What a timely question. As my kids are napping I thought I'd crack open an E&E a friend sent to me and browse through it. Bad idea. I felt like a 4th grader trying to do calculus.


:D

Law school is great.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm

I've heard two vague references to class participation counting towards the final grade, one on tls, and once at NU ASW. I previously thought it was entirely based on a final, or a paper.

Do some law courses count participation?

I'm hoping I heard that wrong.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I've heard two vague references to class participation counting towards the final grade, one on tls, and once at NU ASW. I previously thought it was entirely based on a final, or a paper.

Do some law courses count participation?

One of my professors last semester claimed that it would be based on class participation, but I basically found out later this meant that you had to show up to class and be prepared to answer questions and that was your "participation".

One professor this semester insists that class participation will be 20% of your grade. But if everyone shows up for class, and everything's graded on a curve, then everyone will get that 20% and it'll be that other 80% that differentiates you from everyone else.

"Class participation" is more a way to punish those who don't show up than anything, I think.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I've heard two vague references to class participation counting towards the final grade, one on tls, and once at NU ASW. I previously thought it was entirely based on a final, or a paper.

Do some law courses count participation?

I'm hoping I heard that wrong.


Every professor I have had says "I reserve the right to boost or ding your grade based on performance." But they don't do it. It's basically reserving the power to ding you if you miss 10 classes. I've never heard of it happening because of 'brilliant in class remarks'.

I have heard of one or two exceptional cases where participation is a fixed portion of the grade, but that's the extreme outlier position.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:31 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I've heard two vague references to class participation counting towards the final grade, one on tls, and once at NU ASW. I previously thought it was entirely based on a final, or a paper.

Do some law courses count participation?

I'm hoping I heard that wrong.


Every professor I have had says "I reserve the right to boost or ding your grade based on performance." But they don't do it. It's basically reserving the power to ding you if you miss 10 classes. I've never heard of it happening because of 'brilliant in class remarks'.

I have heard of one or two exceptional cases where participation is a fixed portion of the grade, but that's the extreme outlier position.


3L future DF is not amused.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I've heard two vague references to class participation counting towards the final grade, one on tls, and once at NU ASW. I previously thought it was entirely based on a final, or a paper.

Do some law courses count participation?

I'm hoping I heard that wrong.


Every professor I have had says "I reserve the right to boost or ding your grade based on performance." But they don't do it. It's basically reserving the power to ding you if you miss 10 classes. I've never heard of it happening because of 'brilliant in class remarks'.

I have heard of one or two exceptional cases where participation is a fixed portion of the grade, but that's the extreme outlier position.


3L future DF is not amused.


Dude not even 2Ls have to go to class or care about grades. We're talking 1L courses here ;)

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed May 05, 2010 3:44 pm

I've had two professors who really meant it when they said they will bump people up/down for class participation.

Almost every professor is going to hammer you if they notice that you are chronically absent.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:04 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I've heard two vague references to class participation counting towards the final grade, one on tls, and once at NU ASW. I previously thought it was entirely based on a final, or a paper.

Do some law courses count participation?

I'm hoping I heard that wrong.


Every professor I have had says "I reserve the right to boost or ding your grade based on performance." But they don't do it. It's basically reserving the power to ding you if you miss 10 classes. I've never heard of it happening because of 'brilliant in class remarks'.

I have heard of one or two exceptional cases where participation is a fixed portion of the grade, but that's the extreme outlier position.


3L future DF is not amused.


Dude not even 2Ls have to go to class or care about grades. We're talking 1L courses here ;)


Oh thank god.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Finals questions and 0L confusion

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:05 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I've had two professors who really meant it when they said they will bump people up/down for class participation.

Almost every professor is going to hammer you if they notice that you are chronically absent.


At least this ensures I'll go to class.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests