GULC PT - What is it like?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:57 pm

Can someone who was or is currently in the GULC PT program tell me what it's like? How competitive is it compared to FT programs? If you want to transfer to FT what kind of grades do you need? How many people are successful at transferring to FT? Is it hard to transfer to a peer school from the PT program? How does being in the PT affect OCI? Or please contribute any other info that you'd like so I can have a better idea about what to expect. Thanks!

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby nealric » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:02 pm

I started as a GULC PTer. I am graduating this May.

1. The competitiveness is the same. It's the same profs with the same curriculum. It can, however, be more difficult with having to work.

2. Transfer is open. At least my year, everyone who wanted to transfer did.

3. Not sure- it would be up to the transfer school. I do have one friend from PT who was accepted as a transfer to a slightly lower ranked school (for location reasons). He decided to stay anyways.

4. OCI is the same if you transfer. If you don't transfer, you wait a year. I don't think employers treated me any differently at OCI than FT people. After summer school I had the same number of credits.

Other: Working and going to school is a lot of work (kind of insane actually), but very much worth it. I am in significantly less debt than the FT people that I know- that alone is worth it.

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 pm

nealric wrote:I started as a GULC PTer. I am graduating this May.

1. The competitiveness is the same. It's the same profs with the same curriculum. It can, however, be more difficult with having to work.

2. Transfer is open. At least my year, everyone who wanted to transfer did.

3. Not sure- it would be up to the transfer school. I do have one friend from PT who was accepted as a transfer to a slightly lower ranked school (for location reasons). He decided to stay anyways.

4. OCI is the same if you transfer. If you don't transfer, you wait a year. I don't think employers treated me any differently at OCI than FT people. After summer school I had the same number of credits.

Other: Working and going to school is a lot of work (kind of insane actually), but very much worth it. I am in significantly less debt than the FT people that I know- that alone is worth it.


Thank you for the quick response. This really helps. I am on the SPWL for GULC PT and I'm thinking of sending a LOCI offering to withdraw from all other schools if accepted. Just want to know what I'm getting into if that does happen.

I assume the PTers are ranked within their own PT section rather than with the FT students, correct?

I have heard on TLS that people have been denied transferring from PT to FT, does anyone know the reason why someone would be denied?

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby jks289 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Is it difficult to make friends in the class? With everyone else working it seems like there would be less time, inclination to socialize. I am a little concerned at the prospect of not having any kind of support system among classmates. How was your transition into FT? Academically, socially, etc. Are you still able to do Law Review (grades withstanding), are there really no difficulties or drawbacks in transferring to FT? Would be be able to attend classes the summer of 1L and have a SA job?

Thanks for any insight. I'm on the WL for PT as well. But I think I'll have a very limited amount of time to make my decision if I end up being accepted.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 pm

jks289 wrote:Is it difficult to make friends in the class? With everyone else working it seems like there would be less time, inclination to socialize. I am a little concerned at the prospect of not having any kind of support system among classmates. How was your transition into FT? Academically, socially, etc. Are you still able to do Law Review (grades withstanding), are there really no difficulties or drawbacks in transferring to FT? Would be be able to attend classes the summer of 1L and have a SA job?

Thanks for any insight. I'm on the WL for PT as well. But I think I'll have a very limited amount of time to make my decision if I end up being accepted.


This guy is always willing to make friends. He's lonely:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=35375

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:05 am

I assume the PTers are ranked within their own PT section rather than with the FT students, correct?

I have heard on TLS that people have been denied transferring from PT to FT, does anyone know the reason why someone would be denied?


Yes, everyone (PT included) are only ranked with their section 1L year. PT is its own section.

My year they told us that they would hold a lottery to transfer if too many people applied. However, I had also heard they had never actually had to have a lottery- it was just a backup option if everyone decided to transfer. It may be the case that they have since held the lottery- though you may also have heard wrong. I've not heard anything about people being denied transfer.



Is it difficult to make friends in the class? With everyone else working it seems like there would be less time, inclination to socialize. I am a little concerned at the prospect of not having any kind of support system among classmates. How was your transition into FT? Academically, socially, etc. Are you still able to do Law Review (grades withstanding), are there really no difficulties or drawbacks in transferring to FT? Would be be able to attend classes the summer of 1L and have a SA job?


It can be difficult to make friends just because you spend all your time working, in class, or in the library. A lot of people come into the program with an already developed base of friends. However, those who lived in the dorms tended to meet plenty of people.

The transition was perfectly smooth. After 1L year, you actually have day students in night classes (they just hold a certain percentage of classes at night), so there really is no academic difference. It's the same professors and the same classes.

If you switch, you need to do 6 credits over the summer. It's theoretically possible to do that while an SA- the best way to do it is through the London summer program which runs second 1/2 of the summer. A lot of 1L programs are 6 weeks anyways. Thats said, especially now, I wouldn't expect a 1L SA.

You can still do law review- write on competition works the same for day and evening.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby jks289 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks nealric!

I am getting more sold on the program, now if they would just let me in...

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:03 pm

jks289 wrote:Thanks nealric!

I am getting more sold on the program, now if they would just let me in...


+1, I would be so proud of myself! lol

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby jks289 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:07 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
jks289 wrote:Thanks nealric!

I am getting more sold on the program, now if they would just let me in...


+1, I would be so proud of myself! lol


What WL are you on? I am on the regular and have given up hope, but then I got one of the "confirm your interest" emails (followed by the "oops, not this round" email) so I am cautiously optimistic. If you are admitted off the WL do you know if you have to withdraw from all other schools/waitlists?

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:10 pm

I got in of the regular PT WL. I sent them a "I will withdraw from everywhere if you let me in LOCI" I really suggest you guys do that if 1. You haven't 2. It's true

(also switch your app to PT only if you haven't)

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 pm

jks289 wrote: If you are admitted off the WL do you know if you have to withdraw from all other schools/waitlists?



You don't, you can pay a deposit.

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 pm

jks289 wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:
jks289 wrote:Thanks nealric!

I am getting more sold on the program, now if they would just let me in...


+1, I would be so proud of myself! lol


What WL are you on? I am on the regular and have given up hope, but then I got one of the "confirm your interest" emails (followed by the "oops, not this round" email) so I am cautiously optimistic. If you are admitted off the WL do you know if you have to withdraw from all other schools/waitlists?


I'm on the SPWL and I'm sending them an email today letting them know I'll withdraw from all other school. I think this is my only shot at a top school, so I'm going to take it. My other option would be Hastings or Loyola so I'm going for this.

I dont think they require you to withdraw, I think they just want the deposit ASAP. I'm not 100% sure though.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: GULC PT - What is it like?

Postby jks289 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:13 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:I got in of the regular PT WL. I sent them a "I will withdraw from everywhere if you let me in LOCI" I really suggest you guys do that if 1. You haven't 2. It's true

(also switch your app to PT only if you haven't)


I sent them the PT Only, I will withdraw everywhere else email. But there are two "dare to dream" WLs I would have a hard time not riding out to the end.

OMG, going to law school with THE D. Waterman! Swoon. Time to write a new LOCI. :D




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcapace and 3 guests