Ivy League Advantage Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
reverendt

Bronze

Re: Ivy League Advantage

Post by reverendt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Op is a friggin' idiot.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:53 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:Hey, Carlos Mencia, stop stealing other people's joke!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote: Over or under 140lb?
About that weight. It wasn't her body that made her TTT, it was her ugly face and personality. Excessive happy hour drinking [strike]FTL[/strike]FTMFW!!!!!!!!
ftfy

With a decent body and a ton of booze, who gives a fuck what her face or personality is like?????

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm worried that, if I were to attend law school, I would be much smarter than my peers who attended schools with less qualified students (and therefore easier curves, etc). I don't want to be surrounded by morons
In this picture Cornell students make a giant paper monster to light on fire.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:55 pm

pugalicious wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
GermxSmokehouse wrote:I attend an ivy league school, but my GPA (3.3) is too low to get into some of the top schools. I have heard that no boost is given to ivy league or similarly prestigious diplomas. I'm worried that, if I were to attend law school, I would be much smarter than my peers who attended schools with less qualified students (and therefore easier curves, etc). I don't want to be surrounded by morons--that's why I decided to go to an ivy league school after all. So what do you think, are the students with average gpas who attend schools like Arizona State morons compared to an average ivy league graduate?

I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.
You will get a small boost at some schools, but you are still not getting Yale, Harvard, Stanford, or Berkeley. You are almost for sure rejected at Columbia and Chicago as well.

Penn will likely value your ivy degree, but we are talking 171 as bare min, but 172+ gives you a good shot.

Most other schools won't care much, but with a good enough LSAT you can get in anyway.

And if you can't beat that ASU student on the LSAT, who says you are smarter than them anyway.
He's not. ASU, being one of 3 real colleges (all public) in an entire state, does have a high acceptance rate, but plenty of intelligent people who like AZ go there as well. Plus, the bottom Ivy schools have little-to-no lay prestige out here (or in so. Cal., where I grew up). I suppose you could argue that in an area with two schools, a state school and an "Ivy", clearly the more intelligent, on average, would attend the "Ivy" (all things being equal, which they are not, because of the cost factors and scholarships). But on the West Coast, it's Stanford > some Ivy league schools (HYP) > UC Berkeley/UCLA > USC and so on. (biased bc as a Bruin I must hate USC)

ETA: Am embarrassed at self for taking this seriously. But I want to defend my state school! : )
There also seems to be less of a culture of snootiness about colleges in the West. Lots of smart people that I went to high school with, myself included, choose to go to state schools because, aside from the very top Ivy League schools and Stanford, there is really not much, if any (maybe even negative depending on the schools in question) added value by going to private LAC or even some of the lower Ivies, but there is a hell of a lot of added cost. Here in Washington, for example, a degree from Penn or Brown is probably not going to give you any advantage over a UW degree; A degree from SPU, UPS, or Seattle U will definitely not give you any advantage over someone with a UW degree and probably no advantage over someone with a CWU, WWU, or EWU degree, but it will cost you about 5 times as much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
About that weight. It wasn't her body that made her TTT, it was her ugly face and personality. Excessive happy hour drinking [strike]FTL[/strike]FTMFW!!!!!!!!
ftfy

With a decent body and a ton of booze, who gives a fuck what her face or personality is like?????
Cause I had to see her until she got laid off.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:57 pm

PSA: Unless you go to HYP, that state school in Berkeley > your Ivy League school.

Notice: I have no connections with Berkeley.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Cause I had to see her until she got laid off.
this thread is going places. really awesome places. haha

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:59 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
If you knew how ugly I was, you'd be scared to picture what kind of girl would publicly embarrass me!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ftfy

Cause I had to see her until she got laid off.
hehehe.... you said got laid.

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
If you knew how ugly I was, you'd be scared to picture what kind of girl would publicly embarrass me!
That's the kind of confidence that'll land you that bigmoney biglaw gig! That's the confidence of a man among men.

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
Didn't you have a picture of yourself up?

/weird trolling and stalking of regular posters

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:02 pm

GermxSmokehouse wrote:I attend an ivy league school, but my GPA (3.3) is too low to get into some of the top schools. I have heard that no boost is given to ivy league or similarly prestigious diplomas. I'm worried that, if I were to attend law school, I would be much smarter than my peers who attended schools with less qualified students (and therefore easier curves, etc). I don't want to be surrounded by morons--that's why I decided to go to an ivy league school after all. So what do you think, are the students with average gpas who attend schools like Arizona State morons compared to an average ivy league graduate?

I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.

This is funny because I just read several articles on how much more lenient curves are at private/Ivies. I think the title was "Want a better GPA, then go to a private school" or something similar. Private schools have worse grade inflation that public ones.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:02 pm

pugalicious wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
Didn't you have a picture of yourself up?

/weird trolling and stalking of regular posters
For a while to celebrate 10K.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
So... did she have big boobies?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Dartmouth girl? No. Smallish B and a little saggy. What the fuck was with that.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 pm

holydonkey wrote:
I'm worried that, if I were to attend law school, I would be much smarter than my peers who attended schools with less qualified students (and therefore easier curves, etc). I don't want to be surrounded by morons

Hey!! Dragon Day is an amazing event. Also we don't light the whole thing on fire (environmental concerns yada yada yayda). We just cut out the heart and light that on fire. With eight firefighters, two ambulances, and enough water to house a whale on standby, of course.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 pm

swc65 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

Hey!! Dragon Day is an amazing event. Also we don't light the whole thing on fire (environmental concerns yada yada yayda). We just cut out the heart and light that on fire. With eight firefighters, two ambulances, and enough water to house a whale on standby, of course.
taxpayer money well spent.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
OK..... that would be odd.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Seriously. Take it from a female: you can do better. : )

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:14 pm

pugalicious wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Barely, but true.

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:23 pm

The OP. You suck.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:25 pm

pugalicious wrote:

50/50 chance Fox is pming this girl penis pics as we speak.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”