Ivy League Advantage

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
GermxSmokehouse

Ivy League Advantage

Postby GermxSmokehouse » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:07 pm

I attend an ivy league school, but my GPA (3.3) is too low to get into some of the top schools. I have heard that no boost is given to ivy league or similarly prestigious diplomas. I'm worried that, if I were to attend law school, I would be much smarter than my peers who attended schools with less qualified students (and therefore easier curves, etc). I don't want to be surrounded by morons--that's why I decided to go to an ivy league school after all. So what do you think, are the students with average gpas who attend schools like Arizona State morons compared to an average ivy league graduate?

I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.

MF248

Re: Ivy League Advantage

Postby MF248 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Douchey.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Very douchey

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm

They don't "appear as intelligent" because you are merely comparing the average state school student to the average ivy league student. That is why it isn't just GPA, it is LSAT as well. If a student has a solid GPA from a state school, and gets a 175 LSAT, he is likely just as smart, if not smarter than many of your ivy league peers. The weak are weeded out, and it is only really bright students competing for the spots at top schools. Sure, an ivy degree can give a slight bump, but don't make the silly assumption that the state school grads you are competing against are just average, representative students of said schools. You speak of the typical ivy league student as particularly smart, yet the average LSAT amongst Harvard's undergraduate test-takers was 166, which isn't high enough to get into any top school. So I would certainly say the state-schooler who has a near-perfect GPA and a super high LSAT is quite smarter than the "average ivy leaguer"

And yes, your post was quite douchey, and speaks negatively to your character
Last edited by dakatz on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm

With a 3.3, obviously you're the retarded moron. You just lost out on the T14!!!!!!!!!

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm

At least with that 3.3 GPA you'll be surrounded by other "morons..."

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:13 pm

HAHAHA

This is a riot.

The fact that you don't say which "Ivy League school" you went to means you went to one of the lower-end ones that people outside of New England probably have never heard of.

I appreciate the balls it takes to extend your extremely limited view of college life across every state school in the US.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:14 pm

GermxSmokehouse wrote:I attend an ivy league school, but my GPA (3.3) is too low to get into some of the top schools. I have heard that no boost is given to ivy league or similarly prestigious diplomas. I'm worried that, if I were to attend law school, I would be much smarter than my peers who attended schools with less qualified students (and therefore easier curves, etc). I don't want to be surrounded by morons--that's why I decided to go to an ivy league school after all. So what do you think, are the students with average gpas who attend schools like Arizona State morons compared to an average ivy league graduate?

I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.

If only there was some admissions criteria other than GPA

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:14 pm

dakatz wrote:They don't "appear as intelligent" because you are merely comparing the average state school student to the average ivy league student. That is why it isn't just GPA, it is LSAT as well. If a student has a solid GPA from a state school, and gets a 175 LSAT, he is likely just as smart, if not smarter than many of your ivy league peers. The weak are weeded out, and it is only really bright students competing for the spots at top schools. Sure, an ivy degree can give a slight bump, but don't make the silly assumption that the state school grads you are competing against are just average, representative students of said schools.

Why do you bother? You have enough posts to realize that this person is either a) a troll who gave it away by making this his first post or b) an idiot who will quickly learn through TLS (and hopefully his peers in life) that he is an idiot and should stop talking, anywhere, forever.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:16 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
dakatz wrote:They don't "appear as intelligent" because you are merely comparing the average state school student to the average ivy league student. That is why it isn't just GPA, it is LSAT as well. If a student has a solid GPA from a state school, and gets a 175 LSAT, he is likely just as smart, if not smarter than many of your ivy league peers. The weak are weeded out, and it is only really bright students competing for the spots at top schools. Sure, an ivy degree can give a slight bump, but don't make the silly assumption that the state school grads you are competing against are just average, representative students of said schools.

Why do you bother? You have enough posts to realize that this person is either a) a troll who gave it away by making this his first post or b) an idiot who will quickly learn through TLS (and hopefully his peers in life) that he is an idiot and should stop talking, anywhere, forever.

Hmm, yeah I didn't look at the post count. My bad for feeding the troll/idiot/"ivy leaguer". Sort of odd that his name starts with "GermX" since we have a poster with the same name annoying people quite often.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Unfortunately, with ivy grade inflation, your 3.3 is = 2.9 at a state school. Don't worry, there are many quality private law schools for you to enjoy. If you're serious about law, check out http://www.usvlaw.com/ and then give Ms. Sherry Ross a call. She'll hook you up.
Last edited by holydonkey on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:18 pm

GermxSmokehouse wrote:I attend an ivy league school, but my GPA (3.3) is too low to get into some of the top schools. I have heard that no boost is given to ivy league or similarly prestigious diplomas. I'm worried that, if I were to attend law school, I would be much smarter than my peers who attended schools with less qualified students (and therefore easier curves, etc). I don't want to be surrounded by morons--that's why I decided to go to an ivy league school after all. So what do you think, are the students with average gpas who attend schools like Arizona State morons compared to an average ivy league graduate?

You will get a small boost at some schools, but you are still not getting Yale, Harvard, Stanford, or Berkeley. You are almost for sure rejected at Columbia and Chicago as well.

Penn will likely value your ivy degree, but we are talking 171 as bare min, but 172+ gives you a good shot.

Most other schools won't care much, but with a good enough LSAT you can get in anyway.

And if you can't beat that ASU student on the LSAT, who says you are smarter than them anyway.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:22 pm

He can't be serious. I went to such an "elite" school and there are plenty of dumbasses. No one could leave here with the delusion that you can avoid morons by going to an elite school.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:23 pm

--ImageRemoved--

EzraStiles

Postby EzraStiles » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:24 pm

edit: clearly a troll, not worth anyone's effort.
Last edited by EzraStiles on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:24 pm

GermxSmokehouse wrote: I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn't Ivy League school practice GPA inflations? Oh yeah, how many legacies and rich people's kids did your school admit last year?

Don't worry about your 3.3, get your daddy to donate $10 million to Harvard or Yale, i am sure they will let you in if you score above 160.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/attorney32

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

"average ivy league graduate" = Penn?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

holydonkey wrote:"average ivy league graduate" = Penn?

Urgh, disgusting penn trolling.

dspit

Postby dspit » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

So I assume your worried about the the type of personalities/skills/predilections that law school tends to attract? Well at least law schools with a bunch of morons from state schools. ugh, damn state schools.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
holydonkey wrote:"average ivy league graduate" = Penn?

Urgh, disgusting penn trolling.
Well, if HYP are top and Cornell/Brown/Dartmouth are bottom. Penn/Columbia = average. Right?

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

You will get a small boost at some schools, but you are still not getting Yale, Harvard, Stanford, or Berkeley. You are almost for sure rejected at Columbia and Chicago as well.

Penn will likely value your ivy degree, but we are talking 171 as bare min, but 172+ gives you a good shot.

Most other schools won't care much, but with a good enough LSAT you can get in anyway.

And if you can't beat that ASU student on the LSAT, who says you are smarter than them anyway.

He's not. ASU, being one of 3 real colleges (all public) in an entire state, does have a high acceptance rate, but plenty of intelligent people who like AZ go there as well. Plus, the bottom Ivy schools have little-to-no lay prestige out here (or in so. Cal., where I grew up). I suppose you could argue that in an area with two schools, a state school and an "Ivy", clearly the more intelligent, on average, would attend the "Ivy" (all things being equal, which they are not, because of the cost factors and scholarships). But on the West Coast, it's Stanford > some Ivy league schools (HYP) > UC Berkeley/UCLA > USC and so on. (biased bc as a Bruin I must hate USC)

ETA: Am embarrassed at self for taking this seriously. But I want to defend my state school! : )
Last edited by pugalicious on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:29 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:
GermxSmokehouse wrote: I know it might sound like I'm being "douchey", but in my personal experiences, students from state schools aren't nearly as intelligent as my peers in the ivy league, and I find it hard to believe that their GPA is equally qualifying. Any anecdotes are appreciated.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn't Ivy League school practice GPA inflations? Oh yeah, how many legacies and rich people's kids did your school admit last year?

Don't worry about your 3.3, get your daddy to donate $10 million to Harvard or Yale, i am sure they will let you in if you score above 160.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/attorney32

The average for UPenn is only 163. So half of UPenn students who take the LSAT score under 163. LOL Brilliant minds my ass.

Return to “Law School FAQ”