Thinking about adding a major

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:33 am

lostjake wrote:
daesonesb wrote:what sort of major do you think you could get A's in?


Considering the OP has a 2.5 in poly sci from a TTT... breathing?


+1 to this, I busted up laughing when I read this.

But -1 to only 30% of MVP students getting job offers on the first page. That is fucking retarded, unless you only mean biglaw jobs. You are really saying that only 30% of students at Michigan are getting biglaw, midlaw, small law, DA, PD, fed gov't, state gov't, in-house, shitlaw, etc. combined?

Anyways, OP... good to hear your dad pushed you to go to school, but too bad he didn't push you to actually try. As a fellow poly-sci major, I can say that a 2.5 would qualify as brain dead in our department. Do not go to law school right of undergrad; get a job and work to mitigate the effects of that GPA. If still want law school in a few years and you can get over a 170 on the LSAT, then apply.

User avatar
KingJames6
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby KingJames6 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:46 am

I'm a third year student right now and after two years of hating my biology courses/major, I had a 2.6. Last fall I switched to History and Anthro with a couple of minors and have gotten straght A's this year and am already up to a 3.2. I will also be staying an extra year here to complete the double major switch. A lot is possible if you simply kick it into gear and start getting straight A's in something you enjoy. Good luck.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:38 am

KingJames6 wrote:I'm a third year student right now and after two years of hating my biology courses/major, I had a 2.6. Last fall I switched to History and Anthro with a couple of minors and have gotten straght A's this year and am already up to a 3.2. I will also be staying an extra year here to complete the double major switch. A lot is possible if you simply kick it into gear and start getting straight A's in something you enjoy. Good luck.



2 majors and a couple of minors! woahh

jms1987
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby jms1987 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:38 am

romothesavior wrote:
lostjake wrote:
daesonesb wrote:what sort of major do you think you could get A's in?


Considering the OP has a 2.5 in poly sci from a TTT... breathing?


+1 to this, I busted up laughing when I read this.

But -1 to only 30% of MVP students getting job offers on the first page. That is fucking retarded, unless you only mean biglaw jobs. You are really saying that only 30% of students at Michigan are getting biglaw, midlaw, small law, DA, PD, fed gov't, state gov't, in-house, shitlaw, etc. combined?

Anyways, OP... good to hear your dad pushed you to go to school, but too bad he didn't push you to actually try. As a fellow poly-sci major, I can say that a 2.5 would qualify as brain dead in our department. Do not go to law school right of undergrad; get a job and work to mitigate the effects of that GPA. If still want law school in a few years and you can get over a 170 on the LSAT, then apply.


I still have 2 years or more of school to do, so I really don't think I'll actually graduate with the 2.5. I can pull it up to at least a 3.0
Last edited by jms1987 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KingJames6
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby KingJames6 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:42 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
KingJames6 wrote:I'm a third year student right now and after two years of hating my biology courses/major, I had a 2.6. Last fall I switched to History and Anthro with a couple of minors and have gotten straght A's this year and am already up to a 3.2. I will also be staying an extra year here to complete the double major switch. A lot is possible if you simply kick it into gear and start getting straight A's in something you enjoy. Good luck.



2 majors and a couple of minors! woahh


I had to do something...I needed something that would mayyybe impress someone in an adcom and so I went with that. I'll finish those four things in three years by doing 20-25 credits/quarter and hopefully graduate with about a 3.5

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:43 pm

KingJames6 wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
KingJames6 wrote:I'm a third year student right now and after two years of hating my biology courses/major, I had a 2.6. Last fall I switched to History and Anthro with a couple of minors and have gotten straght A's this year and am already up to a 3.2. I will also be staying an extra year here to complete the double major switch. A lot is possible if you simply kick it into gear and start getting straight A's in something you enjoy. Good luck.



2 majors and a couple of minors! woahh


I had to do something...I needed something that would mayyybe impress someone in an adcom and so I went with that. I'll finish those four things in three years by doing 20-25 credits/quarter and hopefully graduate with about a 3.5


Yeah, I understand. I'm taking a boatload more classes than I need (although not as many as you-kudos) just to bump my gpa. Most people think it is crazy, but IMO it is worth it.

User avatar
KingJames6
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby KingJames6 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:44 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
KingJames6 wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
KingJames6 wrote:I'm a third year student right now and after two years of hating my biology courses/major, I had a 2.6. Last fall I switched to History and Anthro with a couple of minors and have gotten straght A's this year and am already up to a 3.2. I will also be staying an extra year here to complete the double major switch. A lot is possible if you simply kick it into gear and start getting straight A's in something you enjoy. Good luck.



2 majors and a couple of minors! woahh


I had to do something...I needed something that would mayyybe impress someone in an adcom and so I went with that. I'll finish those four things in three years by doing 20-25 credits/quarter and hopefully graduate with about a 3.5


Yeah, I understand. I'm taking a boatload more classes than I need (although not as many as you-kudos) just to bump my gpa. Most people think it is crazy, but IMO it is worth it.



Same and same

User avatar
Provocateur
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby Provocateur » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:29 am

OP: you're not going to biglaw, you're not going to T14.

2.5? Sorry, you lose. Get a retail job and stop bothering people with real things to do.

jms1987
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby jms1987 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 am

I have a 2.5 AS OF NOW. I still have 2-2.5 years to pull that up. I have only taken 3 actual poli sci classes as yet.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:38 am

jms1987 wrote:I have a 2.5 AS OF NOW. I still have 2-2.5 years to pull that up. I have only taken 3 actual poli sci classes as yet.


You aren't going to get it up to a 3.0. And even if you do, your GPA is going to be low, and it is going to hurt you (perhaps even more so because it is in such a weak major). You need to accept that fact. Unless you can score 170+, you aren't going to a T14.

jms1987
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby jms1987 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:46 am

romothesavior wrote:
jms1987 wrote:I have a 2.5 AS OF NOW. I still have 2-2.5 years to pull that up. I have only taken 3 actual poli sci classes as yet.


You aren't going to get it up to a 3.0. And even if you do, your GPA is going to be low, and it is going to hurt you (perhaps even more so because it is in such a weak major). You need to accept that fact. Unless you can score 170+, you aren't going to a T14.


How do you know for sure I won't get it up to a at least a 3.0?

edit-IDC if I can't attend a T14

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:38 pm

this thread was about a week old when it was bumped. just saying.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby badfish » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:07 pm

BP people, keep the trolling to the lounge please. Locked.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests