Thinking about adding a major

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Regionality

Re: Thinking about adding a major

Postby Regionality » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:53 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Regionality wrote:
lostjake wrote:
daesonesb wrote:what sort of major do you think you could get A's in?

Considering the OP has a 2.5 in poly sci from a TTT... breathing?

Rude.

It's a valid question. It wouldn't be worth it to tack another major on, fork out ~10k for another year of school, and then only have your GPA go up .1

This needs to be a major OP can get straight A's in.

No, it's not a valid question to ask someone if the only major someone can get A's in is a Breathing Major...

You mean to say that the subtextual non-articulated argument of "Based on your previous shortcomings in undergrad, do you really think there is a major out there that you can get all A's in?" is a valid question.

What he said was rude.

Edit: It's also really dumb and offensive to refer to any undergrad as TTT considering we know how law schools view differences in GPA amongst undergrads.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lostjake wrote:Drop out of school and become an electrician or some other in demand trade. You're probably not going to be going to a good law school, and then you'll have a worthless poly sci and worthless history degree and lots of debt. Then you'll probably think its a good idea to go to a lower T1/T2, graduate and not have a job and soul crushing debt. Even if you get into MVP only the top 30% or so are getting job offers right now. The odds are very very very stacked against you. I know this is a law school forum and everyone wants to go, but seriously, as a life choice, you should think very carefully about what you're doing.

Not electrician, too hard. Carpentry or something.

The kind of carpentry which pays well isn't gonna be easy for someone who doesn't have a natural talent for building things. Plus, construction is doing just as bad as law right now as far as low employment...

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:01 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
lostjake wrote:Drop out of school and become an electrician or some other in demand trade. You're probably not going to be going to a good law school, and then you'll have a worthless poly sci and worthless history degree and lots of debt. Then you'll probably think its a good idea to go to a lower T1/T2, graduate and not have a job and soul crushing debt. Even if you get into MVP only the top 30% or so are getting job offers right now. The odds are very very very stacked against you. I know this is a law school forum and everyone wants to go, but seriously, as a life choice, you should think very carefully about what you're doing.

The kind of carpentry which pays well isn't gonna be easy for someone who doesn't have a natural talent for building things. Plus, construction is doing just as bad as law right now as far as low employment...

True.

In the mean time just find something that pays the bills without going into debt.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

True.

In the mean time just find something that pays the bills without going into debt.

Always Hiring:
--ImageRemoved--

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:11 pm

lostjake wrote:
daesonesb wrote:what sort of major do you think you could get A's in?

Considering the OP has a 2.5 in poly sci from a TTT... breathing?

STFU.

I pretty confident I can get A's in history. My low grades are my own doing due to my lousy study habits, its not that I can't get good grades or something, so lostjake can piss off.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:16 pm

jms1987 wrote:
I pretty confident I can get A's in history.

Cool man... I just figured that if you had a specific major in mind it might be an easier to answer your question.

Gotta remember: the key to an A in a history class is to start your essays the first day your prof gives them out, finish them a week or so early, and get them edited by someone who is a good writer. A lot of hist profs will actually review your paper for you before it's due, if you hand them a draft. This is something a shamefully small amount of history students take advantage of.

If you do that, and keep up with your reading, you should be safe.

I'd argue that there are easier majors to get A's in than history though. Spanish? Marketing?

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:20 pm

This thread has a lot of potential. All we need now is some history/spanish/marketing majors saying how their degree is harder than a poly sci degree.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:24 pm

daesonesb wrote:
jms1987 wrote:

Cool man... I just figured that if you had a specific major in mind it might be an easier to answer your question.

Gotta remember: the key to an A in a history class is to start your essays the first day your prof gives them out, finish them a week or so early, and get them edited by someone who is a good writer. A lot of hist profs will actually review your paper for you before it's due, if you hand them a draft. This is something a shamefully small amount of history students take advantage of.

I'd argue that there are easier majors to get A's in than history though. Spanish? Marketing?

Yeah I almost always start on papers ASAP, those aren't my weakness. My weakness the past year was bringing my laptop to use for notetaking, and ending up bs'ing on the internet instead of paying attention and absorbing the material. I've thought about other majors like sociology or philosophy (though I have no idea how hard the latter is)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:24 pm

lostjake wrote:This thread has a lot of potential. All we need now is some history/spanish/marketing majors saying how their degree is harder than a poly sci degree.

This thread is now about creating a master list of most difficult majors.

EE > ChemE> ME > Physics > CS > Civil Engineering> Math > Chem > Bio > Econ > accounting > liberal arts = business > communications

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lostjake wrote:This thread has a lot of potential. All we need now is some history/spanish/marketing majors saying how their degree is harder than a poly sci degree.

EE > ChemE> ME > Physics > CS > Civil Engineering> Math > Chem > Bio > Econ > accounting > liberal arts = business > communications

Pretty epic win... I'd say that a math major deserves some more credit though.

jms1987 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
jms1987 wrote:

Yeah I almost always start on papers ASAP, those aren't my weakness. My weakness the past year was bringing my laptop to use for notetaking, and ending up bs'ing on the internet instead of paying attention and absorbing the material. I've thought about other majors like sociology or philosophy (though I have no idea how hard the latter is)

Solution:
--ImageRemoved--

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

This thread is now about creating a master list of [strike]most difficult[/strike] most risky majors to attempt if law school is your goal.

Fixed for TLS.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:39 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Pretty epic win... I'd say that a math major deserves some more credit though.

jms1987 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
jms1987 wrote:

Solution:
--ImageRemoved--

Exactly what I'll be doing this coming quarter.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Regionality wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This thread is now about creating a master list of [strike]most difficult[/strike] [strike]most risky[/strike] most employable majors [strike]to attempt if law school is your goal[/strike].

Fixed for TLS.

Fixed for real life.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:44 pm

lostjake wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This thread is now about creating a master list of [strike]most difficult[/strike] [strike]most risky[/strike] most employable majors [strike]to attempt if law school is your goal[/strike].

EE > ChemE> ME > CS > Civil Engineering> Math > Chem > Bio > Econ > accounting > liberal arts = business > communications

Fixed for TLS.

Fixed for real life.

Nah, I'd say employability looks more like this:
EE=ChemE=ME=CivE > CS > Physics=accounting=finanace=chem > Econ=Business > Bio=communications > liberal arts

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:50 pm

daesonesb wrote:
lostjake wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

EE > ChemE> ME > CS > Civil Engineering> Math > Chem > Bio > Econ > accounting > liberal arts = business > communications

Fixed for TLS.

Fixed for real life.

EE=ChemE=ME=CivE > CS > Physics=accounting=finanace=chem > Econ=Business > Bio=communications > liberal arts

Physics isn't very employable. The guys I know said it was grad school or teach high school. Maybe they weren't being creative enough.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:51 pm

Yeah, I'm lazy and didn't change anything. For jobs which require a degree:

EE<ChemE/PetroE<<ME/CS/Math (with CS minor)/Civil<<<<<Physics/Biomedical/Environmental<<<<<Econ/Biz<<<Liberal arts

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:51 pm

jms1987 wrote:Yeah I almost always start on papers ASAP, those aren't my weakness. My weakness the past year was bringing my laptop to use for notetaking, and ending up bs'ing on the internet instead of paying attention and absorbing the material. I've thought about other majors like sociology or philosophy (though I have no idea how hard the latter is)

you need to mentally challenged to do that bad as a political science major. The computer is not an excuse. Not hating on PS majors considering I am one, I mean its awesome if you want to do absolutely nothing, get A's, and are positive about going to Grad school that will give you some kind of job prospects, but a 2.5 really? Are you a freshman?

And if you can't make it as a political science major what makes you think you'll do better as a history major. All LA majors are essentially the same thing, memorizing boring shit for a day which you immediately forget after the test.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
jms1987 wrote:Yeah I almost always start on papers ASAP, those aren't my weakness. My weakness the past year was bringing my laptop to use for notetaking, and ending up bs'ing on the internet instead of paying attention and absorbing the material. I've thought about other majors like sociology or philosophy (though I have no idea how hard the latter is)

you need to mentally challenged to do that bad as a political science major. The computer is not an excuse. Not hating on PS majors considering I am one, I mean its awesome if you want to do absolutely nothing, get A's, and are positive about going to Grad school that will give you some kind of job prospects, but a 2.5 really? Are you a freshman?

And if you can't make it as a political science major what makes you think you'll do better as a history major. All LA majors are essentially the same thing, memorizing boring shit for a day which you immediately forget after the test.

I've done fine in poli sci classes, genius. Its the math class that I failed and science class I hated and barely passed that hurt me.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Out of curiosity what is the family biz in?

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:30 pm

lostjake wrote:Out of curiosity what is the family biz in?

Construction, ironically. My dad is the company president and the company is well established and busy, even ite. I did that work (estimating) for a year and half after high school and made up my mind that I can't do it for a living. I have been talking with my cousin (who is a 1st year biglaw associate) and I like what he does and would like to do the same stuff.
I'm aware its gonna be an uphill battle to raise the GPA, and if can't score the right #'s the LSAT (165ish or above) I'm forgetting about law school and going to my backup plan.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:36 pm

jms1987 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:

I've done fine in poli sci classes, genius. Its the math class that I failed and science class I hated and barely passed that hurt me.

My bad I forgot how hard algebra was. sorry

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
jms1987 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:

My bad I forgot how hard algebra was. sorry

:roll:

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:38 pm

jms1987 wrote:

Construction, ironically. My dad is the company president and the company is well established and busy, even ite. I did that work (estimating) for a year and half after high school and made up my mind that I can't do it for a living. I have been talking with my cousin (who is a 1st year biglaw associate) and I like what he does and would like to do the same stuff.
I'm aware its gonna be an uphill battle to raise the GPA, and if can't score the right #'s the LSAT (165ish or above) I'm forgetting about law school and going to my backup plan.

Stick with the family biz, many would give left nut to be in your spot. Whats wrong with working with the fam?

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:41 pm

lostjake wrote:
jms1987 wrote:

Stick with the family biz, many would give left nut to be in your spot. Whats wrong with working with the fam?

Nothing at all wrong with working with family, I just don't enjoy the work much. My dad is aware of this and pushed me to go back to school to begin with.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:20 am

to the OP, keep trying with your GPA, some posters can overlook how easy it is for freshmen to eff up and blow off classes, midterms, and finals.

Return to “Law School FAQ”