Is a third/forth tier law school even worth going to?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Me-a Culpa

Re: Is a third/forth tier law school even worth going to?

Postby Me-a Culpa » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:21 am

Idaho is a TTT?

nyknicks

Postby nyknicks » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Panther7 wrote:i can't believe this conversation is still going, lol.

twss.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:27 pm

A'nold. I will be attending Widener this fall, and I am actually choosing it over Suffolk due to the location. I am wondering why you would say that my legal career is over if I choose this. I was under the impression that Widener is a better T4 school as compared to the others.

As far as this thread is concerned, I think there is a lot of truth and BS involved in it. Certainly if you want to practice big law, it helps to go to a T1 school. Big time. But I believe it can be done from a T4 or T3 school, providing that you are at the very top of your class. Obviously, the chances are much less but it definitely can be done. My take on it is that a successful person is going to be successful whether they are at T4 or T1. An unsuccessful person will be unsuccessful whether they go to a T4 or T1. It comes from within. That being said, if I get the chance to transfer to a Top 14 school, I would obviously take that opporunity. I also regret wasting literally all of my time in Undergrad drinking since it clearly hurt my chances of getting into a better school. Going to a T1 school means you have a much better chance of being successful, but at a T4 school you still have a chance.

To OP, if a T4 or T3 school is your only choice, and you really want to be a lawyer, I would tell you to go for it and do whatever it takes to succeed.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:35 pm

RP1983 wrote:Certainly if you want to practice big law, it helps to go to a T1 school. Big time. But I believe it can be done from a T4 or T3 school, providing that you are at the very top of your class.

Two problems with this:

1) 100% of people at a T4 are going to want to be at the top 1% of the class so they're employable when they graduate. Only 1% can do it. That means that at any given time 99% of the people attending are going to be disappointed.

2) ITE even the #1-ranked person at T4s are going to have a very rough time and face a lot of disappointment in many markets.

What you believe is possible doesn't matter. What matters is what is actually possible, and ITE it's barely possible even from lower T1 and from T2 schools to get BigLaw employment right now. People at TTTs and T4 are largely SOL right now regarding BigLaw, and that's reality whether you believe it or not.

RP1983 wrote:My take on it is that a successful person is going to be successful whether they are at T4 or T1. An unsuccessful person will be unsuccessful whether they go to a T4 or T1. It comes from within.

The ability to succeed in law school comes from within. The ability to become employed after law school comes from how willing legal employers are to hire someone graduating from your school. If they won't hire anyone from a T4 no matter how well they do, what you "have within" means nothing. The reality of the legal market is that success in terms of employment opportunity is significantly affected by where you go, and that while it's certainly possible for someone to fail at both a T4 and a T1, the system in place makes it much, much easier for the person at the T1 to succeed.

RP1983 wrote:Going to a T1 school means you have a much better chance of being successful, but at a T4 school you still have a chance.

ITE this may seriously not be true, especially not if you have to accrue a massive amount of debt in order to go to that school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:51 pm

As always, vanwinkle is spot on. I'm so sick of people making the, "Its possible to make biglaw from a TTT!" argument. Yeah, its also possible for me to get drafted into the NBA, win the lottery, and get hit by a car today. That doesn't mean I should participate in the draft workouts, spend all my money on lotto tickets, or stay in the house all day for fear of getting killed by a car.

People shouldn't act on what is possible, but should act based on what is realistic and attainable, especially when there are hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table and 3 years of your life being sacrificed. Going to a TTT with big law aspirations is ridiculous.
Last edited by romothesavior on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wooster33

Postby Wooster33 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:51 pm

People at TTTs and T4 are largely SOL right now regarding BigLaw, and that's reality whether you believe it or not.

While you were overly pessimistic in your post, this is really true. However, top of the class at a TTT is still going to place well in its local market, and some of those jobs pay pretty decent by local COL standards, but the true BigLaw from most TTTs is going to be very difficult, even from the top of the class.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:06 pm

MurderafterMidnight wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
MurderafterMidnight wrote:
Danteshek wrote:This depends on what your other options are, how strong your resume is, and what your goals are.

Well I would like big law or at least higher mid law

Assuming your resume is weak (you don't have significant relevant experience, or, for example, PhD looking into patent law), you are setting yourself up for failure. Not having a clear idea of what you want to do, coupled with your utter cluelessness and a T3 law degree, means you don't have much chance of success.

FYI I attend a T3.

Well honestly man I would not say I am utterly clueless wow, tough crowd here. I have been a engineer at a top communication company for the past 3 years, I don't have a phd but I do do have a online MBA degree. I would like to be a attorney but I was concerned with the risk that's why I asked for some input. Engineering is great but I'm not sure I want to do it the rest of my life and I would like to have the options open to me.

A degree in EE and solid WE will give you a decent chance at a good-paying patent attorney job if you can get into a T1. A PhD is not necessary nor will it help for EE patent prosecution. However, even those qualifications aren't going to get you biglaw out of a T3/T4, or even a T2 ITE.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:27 pm

[quote="romothesavior"]As always, vanwinkle is spot on. I'm so sick of people making the, "Its possible to make biglaw from a TTT!" argument. Yeah, its also possible for me to get drafted into the NBA, win the lottery, and get hit by a car today. That doesn't mean I should participate in the draft workouts, spend all my money on lotto tickets, or stay in the house all day for fear of getting killed by a car.

People shouldn't act on what is possible, but should act based on what is realistic and attainable, especially when there are hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table and 3 years of your life being sacrificed. Going to a TTT with big law aspirations is ridiculous.[/quote]

That last statement of yours is ridiculous. Just because the chances are less, the aspiration of doing so is ridiculous?

Look at your handle name for instance. I think just about anyone would agree that it is way more difficult to become a starting QB in the NFL than it is to practice for a big law firm. Look at Tony Romo. It was ridiculous for him to aprire to be a starting QB in the NFL after going undrafted. I think most people would have told him at the time to give up and had he done so, he wouldnt have made nearly the ammount of money, nor dated the likes of Jessica Simpson or Carrie Underwood.

As far as your first paragraph, that is a horrible analogy.

I understand when you say that it is a better idea to go to a T1 school if you want to practice big law. But to say there is Zero chance if you go to a T4 is just flat out wrong.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
RP1983 wrote:Certainly if you want to practice big law, it helps to go to a T1 school. Big time. But I believe it can be done from a T4 or T3 school, providing that you are at the very top of your class.

Two problems with this:

1) 100% of people at a T4 are going to want to be at the top 1% of the class so they're employable when they graduate. Only 1% can do it. That means that at any given time 99% of the people attending are going to be disappointed.

2) ITE even the #1-ranked person at T4s are going to have a very rough time and face a lot of disappointment in many markets.

What you believe is possible doesn't matter. What matters is what is actually possible, and ITE it's barely possible even from lower T1 and from T2 schools to get BigLaw employment right now. People at TTTs and T4 are largely SOL right now regarding BigLaw, and that's reality whether you believe it or not.
quote]

If you don't believe it is possible, go research the top 250 law firms in the US and look at their lawyer profiles.

Postby 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:37 pm

RP1983 wrote:If you don't believe it is possible, go research the top 250 law firms in the US and look at their lawyer profiles.

1) Of course it's possible. Nobody every argued that it wasn't.

2) Are you really so new to this game you think the NLJ 250 are the 'top 250' law firms? No more posting until you figure out what factors NLJ uses when coming up with its rankings.

3) Pick a big firm outside of a major market and it's often ~50% T14 grads, ~50% local grads. That's a massive generalization, but the point is that those local schools graduate HUNDREDS of students every year who rarely make it out of the locality. There will absolutely be room for the top of the class at the big, well paying firms. but only for the top of the class.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:40 pm

RP1983 wrote:A'nold. I will be attending Widener this fall, and I am actually choosing it over Suffolk due to the location. I am wondering why you would say that my legal career is over if I choose this. I was under the impression that Widener is a better T4 school as compared to the others.

As far as this thread is concerned, I think there is a lot of truth and BS involved in it. Certainly if you want to practice big law, it helps to go to a T1 school. Big time. But I believe it can be done from a T4 or T3 school, providing that you are at the very top of your class. Obviously, the chances are much less but it definitely can be done. My take on it is that a successful person is going to be successful whether they are at T4 or T1. An unsuccessful person will be unsuccessful whether they go to a T4 or T1. It comes from within. That being said, if I get the chance to transfer to a Top 14 school, I would obviously take that opporunity. I also regret wasting literally all of my time in Undergrad drinking since it clearly hurt my chances of getting into a better school. Going to a T1 school means you have a much better chance of being successful, but at a T4 school you still have a chance.

To OP, if a T4 or T3 school is your only choice, and you really want to be a lawyer, I would tell you to go for it and do whatever it takes to succeed.

Wait......why was this addressed to me? I don't get it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:41 pm

RP1983 wrote:[q

That last statement of yours is ridiculous. Just because the chances are less, the aspiration of doing so is ridiculous?

Look at your handle name for instance. I think just about anyone would agree that it is way more difficult to become a starting QB in the NFL than it is to practice for a big law firm. Look at Tony Romo. It was ridiculous for him to aprire to be a starting QB in the NFL after going undrafted. I think most people would have told him at the time to give up and had he done so, he wouldnt have made nearly the ammount of money, nor dated the likes of Jessica Simpson or Carrie Underwood.

I understand when you say that it is a better idea to go to a T1 school if you want to practice big law. But to say there is Zero chance if you go to a T4 is just flat out wrong.

Wow, you want to talk about horrible analogies? Lulz at your Romo one. The fact is that Romo got a free college education for playing football and made tons of money in his pursuit of becoming a star quarterback. Pursuing his dream of becoming an NFL player didn't carry much risk. Your anology is completely and utterly foolish. Its not like Jerry Jones said, "Hey Tony... give us 200k, as well as sacrifice three years of working and earning money, and we'll give you a 5-10% possibility of becoming a millionaire quarterback." That's what a TTT LS does.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:44 pm

RP1983 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:As always, vanwinkle is spot on. I'm so sick of people making the, "Its possible to make biglaw from a TTT!" argument. Yeah, its also possible for me to get drafted into the NBA, win the lottery, and get hit by a car today. That doesn't mean I should participate in the draft workouts, spend all my money on lotto tickets, or stay in the house all day for fear of getting killed by a car.

People shouldn't act on what is possible, but should act based on what is realistic and attainable, especially when there are hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table and 3 years of your life being sacrificed. Going to a TTT with big law aspirations is ridiculous.[/quote]

Also, RC fail. Who the hell said there was a 0% chance at big law from a TTT? Nobody. We just think a 5-10% possibility is not worth the risk of speding 150-200k for the degree.

At the T20 I'll be attending, only about 30% of students have a realistic shot at biglaw, and that scares the shit outta me, and I'm going there for half the cost. Going to a TTT at sticker would be like doubling the cost and cutting the odds of big law in third.