Is a third/forth tier law school even worth going to?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
legalized

Re: Is a third/forth tier law school even worth going to?

Postby legalized » Fri May 14, 2010 8:21 am

sdv wrote:this is only a small example, but Duquesne grads have no trouble getting jobs in Pittsburgh (the most livable city in America), since there are only 2 law schools in the city. Ergo, it all depends on location.

can anyone speak to any other market that has only a 1 or 2 law schools feeding into it? Is this also the case there?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri May 14, 2010 10:01 am

legalized wrote:
sdv wrote:this is only a small example, but Duquesne grads have no trouble getting jobs in Pittsburgh (the most livable city in America), since there are only 2 law schools in the city. Ergo, it all depends on location.

can anyone speak to any other market that has only a 1 or 2 law schools feeding into it? Is this also the case there?

Stetson is located in the largest metro area (Tampa/St. Pete) with only one LS

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 am

GATORTIM wrote:
legalized wrote:

Fascinating. How well do they do in that market? What % of grads get BIGSTRIPPERLAW?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri May 14, 2010 10:25 am

GATORTIM wrote:
legalized wrote:

Stetson grads get dominated by the UF, FSU grads who are also looking for jobs in the Tampa/St. Pete area

We have a Foley & Lardner office here. Only 4 Stetson grads. Compared to 59 UF and 21 FSU grads. Personally, I think Stetson is a godo school but chances of biglaw...not happening.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri May 14, 2010 12:23 pm

I really have no interest in BigLaw (I prefer to stay as far away as possible from corporate culture after my experiences the last 7 years), but BigStripperLaw sounds like a pretty sweet gig. I'm confident that I will be okay coming out of Stetson and I'm confortable setting up shop in Tampa or Orlando for a while.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 14, 2010 6:57 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
legalized wrote:can anyone speak to any other market that has only a 1 or 2 law schools feeding into it? Is this also the case there?

Too bad UF and FSU grads come in and snap up jobs, so while it is the only school located there, that's not really saying much. From Stetson, biglaw (or what can be called biglaw, in Tampa/St. Pete) is pretty much out, plus with the massive glut of marginally employed UF and FSU grads, say goodbye to a lot of the other midsized firm jobs as well, the few that are out there. In addition, the small firms are not really hiring, and local government positions that used to go to Stetson grads, like PD, SA office, City Atty. office, etc. are all but at a hiring freeze. The situation is largely the same in Orlando if I'm hearing right.

Stetson would not be a great choice pre-ITE, and it's even worse now. People for some reason on this board always mention Stetson as an underrated TTT, but I really wonder how many of them are from Tampa or even FL. Come here and see some unemployed people who were median at UF. Then you'll know.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Fri May 14, 2010 7:04 pm

rad law wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
legalized wrote:can anyone speak to any other market that has only a 1 or 2 law schools feeding into it? Is this also the case there?

Too bad UF and FSU grads come in and snap up jobs, so while it is the only school located there, that's not really saying much. From Stetson, biglaw (or what can be called biglaw, in Tampa/St. Pete) is pretty much out, plus with the massive glut of marginally employed UF and FSU grads, say goodbye to a lot of the other midsized firm jobs as well, the few that are out there. In addition, the small firms are not really hiring, and local government positions that used to go to Stetson grads, like PD, SA office, City Atty. office, etc. are all but at a hiring freeze. The situation is largely the same in Orlando if I'm hearing right.

Stetson would not be a great choice pre-ITE, and it's even worse now. People for some reason on this board always mention Stetson as an underrated TTT, but I really wonder how many of them are from Tampa or even FL. Come here and see some unemployed people who were median at UF. Then you'll know.

Florida is getting unemployraped across the board right now.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri May 14, 2010 7:33 pm

rad law wrote:From Stetson, biglaw (or what can be called biglaw, in Tampa/St. Pete) is pretty much out, plus with the massive glut of marginally employed UF and FSU grads, say goodbye to a lot of the other midsized firm jobs as well, the few that are out there. In addition, the small firms are not really hiring, and local government positions that used to go to Stetson grads, like PD, SA office, City Atty. office, etc. are all but at a hiring freeze. The situation is largely the same in Orlando if I'm hearing right.

Couldnt you copy and paste this to any argument to not attend TTT in a mid-sized market? This claim is not specific to Stetson only.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Fri May 14, 2010 8:21 pm

FB Friend quote:

We put an ad in craigslist yesterday for a lawyer. I got 147 response between then and now with a stated salary of $40k / year. Is the job market really that bad?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 14, 2010 8:23 pm

jmhendri wrote:FB Friend quote:

We put an ad in craigslist yesterday for a lawyer. I got 147 response between then and now with a stated salary of $40k / year. Is the job market really that bad?

:shock: :shock:

*looks for a teaching job*

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Fri May 14, 2010 8:33 pm

It depends on your personal situation. I go to a bad school for free in the area I want to practice, and I have a summer job in the law firm where I want to work upon graduation. So far, I haven't seen any drawbacks with my tier 4, but I don't want biglaw or anything like that, so getting paid 75k for the rest of my life would not be a nightmare for me, specially with no debt and a husband who also has a good career.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
rad law wrote:From Stetson, biglaw (or what can be called biglaw, in Tampa/St. Pete) is pretty much out, plus with the massive glut of marginally employed UF and FSU grads, say goodbye to a lot of the other midsized firm jobs as well, the few that are out there. In addition, the small firms are not really hiring, and local government positions that used to go to Stetson grads, like PD, SA office, City Atty. office, etc. are all but at a hiring freeze. The situation is largely the same in Orlando if I'm hearing right.

Couldnt you copy and paste this to any argument to not attend TTT in a mid-sized market? This claim is not specific to Stetson only.

I could, but I'm from Tampa and you started talking about Stetson.

hopingforaJD

Postby hopingforaJD » Sat May 15, 2010 2:59 am

For a free ride, yes. For sticker, no.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat May 15, 2010 3:02 am

Even a full ride may not be worth it, depending on your class ranking. You may not lose much money other than for COL, but the opportunity cost of three years is huge.

Return to “Law School FAQ”