Second Thoughts about LS?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
firebreathingliberal

Second Thoughts about LS?

Postby firebreathingliberal » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:07 pm

I know I am having them. It is almost as bad as the waffling back and forth between this school and that school. Whether or not to go to LS keeps cropping up in my head and I feel torn as to take on the debt for a job that might not exist at the end of the tunnel.

I'm part of the huge number of people who say they want to go into public interest work after LS but it seems so many people don't end up like that. I saw a stat somewhere that said that 80% of Harvard students prior to entering the school say they are interested in PI but then only 9% (or something like that) end up in the field. I'm worried that even with debt forgiveness and the income-based payments that I still wouldn't be able to afford the debt.

I'm not going to a t-14 but even those of you who are must have that little voice in the back of your mind saying," is this the right choice? I could do a lot of other things that wont land me in a heap of debt."

I'm not trying to scare people, but everyone sweats over stats and PS's and what UG major to have and all this, but no one seems to talk about whether or not they are making the right decision in gunning for law school. Just trying to see how others out there are feeling as the beginning of law school looms.

oberlin08

Re: Second Thoughts about LS?

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:08 pm

firebreathingliberal wrote:I know I am having them. It is almost as bad as the waffling back and forth between this school and that school. Whether or not to go to LS keeps cropping up in my head and I feel torn as to take on the debt for a job that might not exist at the end of the tunnel.

I'm part of the huge number of people who say they want to go into public interest work after LS but it seems so many people don't end up like that. I saw a stat somewhere that said that 80% of Harvard students prior to entering the school say they are interested in PI but then only 9% (or something like that) end up in the field. I'm worried that even with debt forgiveness and the income-based payments that I still wouldn't be able to afford the debt.

I'm not going to a t-14 but even those of you who are must have that little voice in the back of your mind saying," is this the right choice? I could do a lot of other things that wont land me in a heap of debt."

I'm not trying to scare people, but everyone sweats over stats and PS's and what UG major to have and all this, but no one seems to talk about whether or not they are making the right decision entering law school. Just trying to see how others out there are feeling as the beginning of law school looms.

That voice is getting louder as the days go on. :evil:

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm in the same boat. I think almost everyone has second thoughts about going in; some are just better at suppressing them than others. It's a big decision with a large price tag and no guarantees of success. I just remind myself that life requires risks, the economy will be prohibitive no matter what field I go into and, for the things I'd like to do, I'm still better off with a JD than just a BA. Plus, if things don't work out, I can always jump off a bridge.

Kidding. Mostly.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:52 pm

I hear the voice and I don't know what to do. I keep thinking that I should try again next year and hope to get into HYS and then try for public interest. If you're not the in the T14 is there any chance of this type of work?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:19 pm

I personally think its a bit weird not to second guess yourself at all before going. It's a huge decision (both financially and career-wise), and if you treat it like nothing, then you're doing it wrong imo.

What helps me sleep at night is: for those who say they aren't second guessing or aren't nervous about the decision, it's gonna hit them like a ton of bricks when the first wave of serious stress hits.

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:22 pm

You take a full ride a lower ranked school. You can't have a top tier and lucrative PI career at once.

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Hey-O wrote:I hear the voice and I don't know what to do. I keep thinking that I should try again next year and hope to get into HYS and then try for public interest. If you're not the in the T14 is there any chance of this type of work?

Yes.

I'm sure that this isn't the prevailing wisdom on TLS, but I think there's merit to the argument that you should choose a lower ranked school over a t14 if you are truly committed to PI because you may be able to lower the COA through significant scholarship money.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Not just second thoughts. Serious-meltdown-type stuff. I'm moving to a new city 12 hours drive away and wrenching (is that a word?) my four cats (one of whom is elderly) away from the only home they've ever known; selling my house in the Bay Area, where I've lived for 25 years and where there is perfect weather; giving up my (meager) business here; and moving to a town (Portland) where it rains 8 months out of the year. Yikes! Although I've already given my seat deposit, I vacillate from one day to the next on whether or not to pull the trigger.

Once I buy and sell, with the housing price differential I've have enough to buy a house free and clear, pay my tuition in full, and have enough cash to invest and live off of modestly (at least for awhile - I will need to make SOME money as a lawyer, not much).

The kicker is that I'm one year away from turning 61. I look (I've been told). and feel, more like I'm 45 (which I know is bad enough in this market). (The wonders of working out, good genes, and hair dye...) Someone wrote a book based on recent research in neuroscience which apparently shows that brains get better at pattern matching and logical thinking between the ages of 40 and 65 (what gets worse is short-term memory). But I'm not counting on employers to realize that. The plan is to start my own practice. But at age 65? What am I THINKING?

Of course, friends tell me I should go for it, pursue my "dream," etc. But it all starts to seem crazy in the middle of the night and I'm in a panic.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Hey-O wrote:I hear the voice and I don't know what to do. I keep thinking that I should try again next year and hope to get into HYS and then try for public interest. If you're not the in the T14 is there any chance of this type of work?

I do believe that they have treatment for conditions like that... :lol:

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 pm

jazzluvr wrote:Not just second thoughts. Serious-meltdown-type stuff. I'm moving to a new city 12 hours drive away and wrenching (is that a word?) my four cats (one of whom is elderly) away from the only home they've ever known; selling my house in the Bay Area, where I've lived for 25 years and where there is perfect weather; giving up my (meager) business here; and moving to a town (Portland) where it rains 8 months out of the year. Yikes! Although I've already given my seat deposit, I vacillate from one day to the next on whether or not to pull the trigger.

Once I buy and sell, with the housing price differential I've have enough to buy a house free and clear, pay my tuition in full, and have enough cash to invest and live off of modestly (at least for awhile - I will need to make SOME money as a lawyer, not much).

The kicker is that I'm one year away from turning 61. I look (I've been told). and feel, more like I'm 45 (which I know is bad enough in this market). (The wonders of working out, good genes, and hair dye...) Someone wrote a book based on recent research in neuroscience which apparently shows that brains get better at pattern matching and logical thinking between the ages of 40 and 65 (what gets worse is short-term memory). But I'm not counting on employers to realize that. The plan is to start my own practice. But at age 65? What am I THINKING?

Of course, friends tell me I should go for it, pursue my "dream," etc. But it all starts to seem crazy in the middle of the night and I'm in a panic.

You're hardcore. Do it. DO IT!!!

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 pm

jazzluvr wrote:Not just second thoughts. Serious-meltdown-type stuff. I'm moving to a new city 12 hours drive away and wrenching (is that a word?) my four cats (one of whom is elderly) away from the only home they've ever known; selling my house in the Bay Area, where I've lived for 25 years and where there is perfect weather; giving up my (meager) business here; and moving to a town (Portland) where it rains 8 months out of the year. Yikes! Although I've already given my seat deposit, I vacillate from one day to the next on whether or not to pull the trigger.

You're a badass. Do it. DO IT!!!

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm

thinkbig wrote:

You're a badass. Do it. DO IT!!!

You got that right, I'm hard-core and a badass. Thanks for the encouragement. :-)

presh

Postby presh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 pm

It will all be worth it when you have a problem with something you bought at a store, and you tell the manager "I'm a lawyer and I am going to sue this store and name you personally responsible", and he flashes that split-second look of terror reserved for pissed-off Navy SEALS and suddenly appearing ninjas.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 pm

presh wrote:jazzluvr, you are a badass. I third the do it!

To everyone in this thread,

It is totally normal to feel like that. I cannot tell you how much I wondered about this myself (still do every once in a while after a difficult day).

But don't freak out! As someone on the other side, law school is amazing. It is hard, time-consuming, and occasionally a pain in the ass, but it is worth it.

And I say that as I take a break from studying for my exam on Saturday. So if I can say it now, there has got to be some truth in there.

Thanks for that

loveistheway

Postby loveistheway » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:12 pm

This is pretty much the best post I've ever read, on any board, ever!

All you need is a cape and you're a superhero.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:16 pm

byunbee wrote:

Yes.

I'm sure that this isn't the prevailing wisdom on TLS, but I think there's merit to the argument that you should choose a lower ranked school over a t14 if you are truly committed to PI because you may be able to lower the COA through significant scholarship money.

It depends. If you want to work for some small county PD, take the lower ranked school. Prestige won't matter as much there.

But if you have presigious PI aspirations, you absolutely take the highest school possible. The vast majority of your debt will get forgiven in 10 years, and because repayments are based on income rather than total debt, there is a good chance you will end up paying the exact same for your T14 at sticker as you would for your TTT degree at a discount rate. Plus T14 LRAPs are much better than lower schools.

That all assumes IBR will be around in 10 years, and there is an inherent risk there. But I don't think there is much indication that it is going away anytime soon. I'd say go to the highest school possible for PI.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 pm

loveistheway wrote:

This is pretty much the best post I've ever read, on any board, ever!

All you need is a cape and you're a superhero.

I can't believe this! You guys (all of you) are making my day!!! :-) Thanks so much for the encouragement!

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:30 am

OK, muster your best defenses because this is going to sting. Here is the main reason I'm having the second thoughts (aside from all of the above). This is a small sampling from a law blog, with all quoted posts from between Jan and Mar of this year. Let's hope the economy improves by the time we're out.
--------
"I recently graduated from a first-tier law school (May 2009). I passed the bar on my first attempt (July 2009). All of the state government jobs are frozen, there’s no hope for anyone to get a jop there anytime soon. The federal government jobs are extremely competitive because all the people that got turned away from private sector and state government practice have nowhere else to go. I was fortunate enough to be just offered a position (yesterday) with a solo practictoner. So it only took me about 9 months from graduation to get something lined up. Many of my classmates are much worse off: offers rescinded, jobs terminated, no interviews, etc."
===========
"Unemployed OVER A YEAR NOW - January 19, 2010 at 11:01 am
MEMO TO PROSPECTIVE LAW STUDENTS: THERE ARE NO JOBS! I have been out of law school three years now. I spent 2 years at Big Law (Cravath) and the past 14 months looking for work and doing lousy temp jobs. I had a 4.0 in college and law school (that is how I landed the Big Law job) and all the volunteer, pro bono, language skills, etc you could dream of. None of that matters. THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR LAWYERS. Go to Med School if your brain works."
============
"There are no entry-level jobs anymore for anyone. Not for finished fed clerks, not for LL.Ms (like me), and not even for Harvard grads. I have a degree in tax from one of the best programs in the country and about 10 people in my graduating class of more than 100 are employed 6 months later—more than half of those people are foreign nationals who have jobs in their native lands.... Frankly, many of us are taking paralegal jobs (and some firms now only hire JDs for such positions), thus effectively nullifying our credentials and Bar status just to put food on the table. At this point, my education is a curse. It automatically disqualifies me for lesser work elsewhere, and the loan load is oppressive to say the least."
==============
"There is no upside any longer. There needs to be a moratorium on law school admissions for at least 5 years to stop the excess flood of lawyers into an economy that cannot remotely support the supply it currently has."
==============

There are more (it seems to go on forever) but you get the gist. Would love to hear some counterarguments. These are people out in the job market. I know law school is going to be fun and interesting etc. My worry is about what happens afterwards...

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:49 am

jazzluvr wrote:OK, muster your best defenses because this is going to sting. Here is the main reason I'm having the second thoughts (aside from all of the above). This is a small sampling from a law blog, with all quoted posts from between Jan and Mar of this year. Let's hope the economy improves by the time we're out.
--------
"I recently graduated from a first-tier law school (May 2009). I passed the bar on my first attempt (July 2009). All of the state government jobs are frozen, there’s no hope for anyone to get a jop there anytime soon. The federal government jobs are extremely competitive because all the people that got turned away from private sector and state government practice have nowhere else to go. I was fortunate enough to be just offered a position (yesterday) with a solo practictoner. So it only took me about 9 months from graduation to get something lined up. Many of my classmates are much worse off: offers rescinded, jobs terminated, no interviews, etc."
===========
MEMO TO PROSPECTIVE LAW STUDENTS: THERE ARE NO JOBS! I have been out of law school three years now. I spent 2 years at Big Law (Cravath) and the past 14 months looking for work and doing lousy temp jobs. I had a 4.0 in college and law school (that is how I landed the Big Law job) and all the volunteer, pro bono, language skills, etc you could dream of. None of that matters. THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR LAWYERS. Go to Med School if your brain works."
============
"There are no entry-level jobs anymore for anyone. Not for finished fed clerks, not for LL.Ms (like me), and not even for Harvard grads. I have a degree in tax from one of the best programs in the country and about 10 people in my graduating class of more than 100 are employed 6 months later—more than half of those people are foreign nationals who have jobs in their native lands.... Frankly, many of us are taking paralegal jobs (and some firms now only hire JDs for such positions), thus effectively nullifying our credentials and Bar status just to put food on the table. At this point, my education is a curse. It automatically disqualifies me for lesser work elsewhere, and the loan load is oppressive to say the least."
==============
"There is no upside any longer. There needs to be a moratorium on law school admissions for at least 5 years to stop the excess flood of lawyers into an economy that cannot remotely support the supply it currently has."
==============

There are more (it seems to go on forever) but you get the gist. Would love to hear some counterarguments. These are people out in the job market. I know law school is going to be fun and interesting etc. My worry is about what happens afterwards...

One thing I always wonder when reading these things is how wide of a net these people are casting. Don't get me wrong – I have no illusions about the economy short-term or long-term, and I know that things are bad everywhere. But it seems like a lot of those who have the most pessimistic outlook are those who only want corporate law positions in major cities like New York, DC, Chicago, SF, etc. Have they considered looking in smaller markets? Have they considered family law? Nonprofit work? Public policy jobs that aren't necessarily "legal employment" but for which a JD is a qualifier?

I feel like I'm open to a lot of things that the average law student doesn't consider worthy of his/her ambitions, and I don't feel limited to the major metros. I'm hoping that will make it easier to find meaningful employment within my expectations. Or maybe it reveals just how naive I am. Thoughts?

firebreathingliberal

Postby firebreathingliberal » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:59 am

jazzluvr wrote:

+1 this is what I was driving at. School no matter what concentration or specialty and no matter where you go is X years of sheltered living. It's when you get out that is the problem. I had a hard enough time finding a part-time job in my hometown let alone trying to find a job in the field I had wanted to enter (on the Hill in DC). I don't want to get out of law school and have the same problem. You can only go back to school so much.[

j.wellington wrote:I feel like I'm open to a lot of things that the average law student doesn't consider worthy of his/her ambitions, and I don't feel limited to the major metros. I'm hoping that will make it easier to find meaningful employment within my expectations. Or maybe it reveals just how naive I am. Thoughts?

To a certain degree that might be true but from my experiences applying for jobs on Capitol Hill they are just as scarce and hard to come by as ever. I worked two campaign cycles, the second job for a Congressman who didn't give a job because of some internal politics within his office (and that is problem one when applying to Hill jobs: you have to know someone who has some pull). The second thing is that no matter what the work there are people who are more qualified and have more experience looking for the same job. While having a JD gives you a leg up over people with just bachelor's, the people gunning for those PP jobs range from you, to someone with 5-8 years of experience doing that work AND a JD.

I couldn't get a staff assistant job anywhere, and that is just answering phones and reading mail. I sent in resumes to dozens of openings with nothing so much as a call back.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:01 pm

jazzluvr wrote:OK, muster your best defenses because this is going to sting. Here is the main reason I'm having the second thoughts (aside from all of the above). This is a small sampling from a law blog, with all quoted posts from between Jan and Mar of this year. Let's hope the economy improves by the time we're out.
--------
===========
============
==============
==============

I am a 1L at UT, and I posted some really bitter rants not to long ago about my difficulties in finding summer employment. I was so frustrated, so stressed, and so worried about how I would pay my bills, that my posts were overly dramatic. Not too long after making those ridiculous posts, I found a terrific job with nearly big law salary for half the summer. There are entry-level jobs in the legal field. I managed to find one. They are fucking hard to get, but bitching and moaning on the internet isn't going to help. I would take those posts with a grain of salt. Notice how those folks are online posting about their unhappiness instead of actually doing something about it. In the time it took to type those blog entries, those guys could have been sending out one more resume.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:04 pm

If you haven't had second thoughts about going to LS you haven't thought about LS enough.

If you really don't want to go and/or are going because you're under the impression that LS will open up doors for you in the future in pretty much anything, I'd recommend you look into other grad programs. There are a lot of other programs that open up many other doors. Anything involving Business Information Systems or Business Statistics is going to be huge. I would be doing a Master's in Applied Statistics program if I hadn't gotten in to a good law school.

There are lots of programs out there. You do have choices other than going to a lesser school now or re-taking the LSAT and trying for HYS next year. Look into all options before making a massive financial committment.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:08 pm

ughOSU wrote:If you haven't had second thoughts about going to LS you haven't thought about LS enough.

If you really don't want to go and/or are going because you're under the impression that LS will open up doors for you in the future in pretty much anything, I'd recommend you look into other grad programs. There are a lot of other programs that open up many other doors. Anything involving Business Information Systems or Business Statistics is going to be huge. I would be doing a Master's in Applied Statistics program if I hadn't gotten in to a good law school.

There are lots of programs out there. You do have choices other than going to a lesser school now or re-taking the LSAT and trying for HYS next year. Look into all options before making a massive financial committment.

Already have a Ph.D. and I have the funds to do law school. Everyone is having second thoughts. Just wondering about the job market. But thanks for the advice about doing bus stat (why aren't you doing it?!!)

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Well said. I am a 0L, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. But, my friends that are currently graduating from law school have jobs because they networked their asses off and tapped into the alumni network rather than just blindly sending their resumes out. When I visited schools, just about everyone I talked to had summer work or a job waiting for them after graduation. Some were jobs they received through OCI, but it seemed most of them had received their opportunities through networking. As an older student, I think you'll be at an advantage. You most likely have more connections and are more experienced with networking.

Edit: well said refers to JazzOne.

Return to “Law School FAQ”