Why "X" Essays and Merit Aid

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lakerfanimal

Why "X" Essays and Merit Aid

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:56 pm

I've seen numerous posts on the effects of applying ED and being at a potential disadvantage for merit aid; however, I was wondering how writing a "Why X Law School" might affect receiving merit aid. If there are other posts, links would be helpful. I was hoping posters might be able to give insights based on their own experiences ("I wrote one and still got aid"). For the schools I really want to go to I'll still write them since it probably does help the chances of getting in at all, but just curious as to how it might affect scholarship decisions.

Thanks!

angioletto

Re: Why "X" Essays and Merit Aid

Postby angioletto » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:05 pm

I worried that writing an optional "why x" essay could possibly cost me some scholarship money but I wrote it anyways and got a bigger merit scholarship than I expected.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:39 am

lakerfanimal wrote:I've seen numerous posts on the effects of applying ED and being at a potential disadvantage for merit aid; however, I was wondering how writing a "Why X Law School" might affect receiving merit aid. If there are other posts, links would be helpful. I was hoping posters might be able to give insights based on their own experiences ("I wrote one and still got aid"). For the schools I really want to go to I'll still write them since it probably does help the chances of getting in at all, but just curious as to how it might affect scholarship decisions.

Thanks!

Duke loves Why Duke essays, and they say they factor it into scholarship decisions. Look at my awards relative to people with my number and I say it is because of a good Why Duke essay.

Make sure you write a good one though, my Mich and Penn essay were phony and it really hurt me.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Wow thank you both, that's awesome to hear that schools want to reward you more than trying to persuade you with funds. I haven't decided if I'm writing why X essays for every school I can write it for (I don't want to be disingenuous), but Duke is definitely a school that is very intriguing so that's great to know. Thanks a bunch

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Sun May 02, 2010 1:33 am

Totally anecdotal, but I only wrote a "Why X" for one school (the school that required it--but at the time I wrote it I was thinking X was a top choice, which helped), and that was the one school that I still had not heard back from at the time I was required to put down a deposit and withdraw all my other applications. (Now, that school has a reputation for being slow with admit decisions, so that may not say anything about my essay.)

Anyway, I can't imagine it would hurt you for merit aid, so long as you write a good essay. They're not going to say "Oh, this person will obviously come no matter what, so no point giving him/her money." If you can't be sincere about it, or you aren't willing to put in the time to polish it, then don't write one; if you can, then do.

And, I got into Duke with money without writing a Why Duke essay. (But then, I sorta sent a Why Duke email to the finaid guy between my acceptance and scholarship award, which may amount to the same thing.)

Return to “Law School FAQ”