Transferring to a lower ranked school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Transferring to a lower ranked school?

Postby half_farang » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 am

Everyone says that transferring is difficult and that you need to be in the top 15% of your class to even think about it.

But what if, lets say I went to the University of Arizona and then didn't feel like it was the right place after my first year and wanted to transfer to a lower ranked school like the University of San Diego.

Is this easier? What qualifications/class rankings do you need to make this transfer.

Re: Transferring to a lower ranked school?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 am

There are anecdotal of stories of people lateraling between similar-ranked schools at median, so I would imagine median or better would give you a good shot at transferring down.

However, this sounds like something you should really work out before you decide where you go in the first place. Transferring has huge negatives, you give up all the connections you've formed with your school and professors during your 1L year, and those things can be really important. That's not to mention eligibility for LR or journals, which are at many schools very hard for transfers to qualify for.

The thing about the two schools you mentioned is that they're both schools that are regional in nature. UA is a good school to go to if you want to practice in Arizona, USD is an okay school to go to if you want to practice in southern California. Changing your mind about which to go to means you're changing your mind about where to practice when you graduate. Choose that now, don't defer it thinking you'll have easy options a year from now. Transferring can mess your life up and cost you, don't count on it as a way to fix a mistake you make now.

Return to “Law School FAQ”