Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Place to Live in LA that is close to USC and UCLA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:45 pm 

I am not sure if this is the proper thread in which to post this question, so please let me know if I need to move it into another area. Thanks.

I will be attending USC law in the fall and my girlfriend (who I will be living with) will be attending UCLA in the fall. We are hoping to find a place that is relatively equidistant from both school. I know this is not exactly easy, but any recommendations (areas or apartment buildings) are much appreciated. I think the area near the Grove is about in the middle, but a lot better deals seem to exist in the Echo Park area (which is decently closer for me haha). Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Place to Live in LA that is close to USC and UCLA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:00 pm 

Santa Monica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:00 pm 

Dude, Echo Park is the land of a thousand gangs. The locals will shoot you just for being an outsider. There is no place in LA that is good to live that is half way between UCLA and USC. My recommendation is that you shell out to live in Westwood, or Santa Monica and you commute to USC. South Central which is where USC is, isn't really the best place to live. The only really safe place is inside the fence at USC. UCLA is in a nice neighborhood, with a lot of great things to do for college students, grads and undergrads alike. The simple fact is one of you is commuting. I recommend it be you. Get a motorcycle, a cruiser, with some saddle bags so parking and LA traffic won't be an issue. SPlitting lanes in California is legal. Good Luck. Again don't move to Echo Park. If the rent is what you deem affordable in LA, its probably not a good neighborhood...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:16 pm 

That's extreme. I have tons of friends who live in Echo Park/Silverlake area. It's a gentrifying neighborhood, sure, but there are lots of students/artists/musicians/actors, etc. living there. Along with a ton of hipsters, so you have to be able to tolerate that. Similar to the Mission in San Francisco, or Williamsburg in Brooklyn if you know of those places. It depends on what you are looking for. Westwood is gorgeous, expensive, and more "vanilla" for lack of a better expression. I would try to visit both places (and check out what the commute would be like from each place) and see what fits you. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:28 pm 

There's nice areas in Culver City and the neighboring Palms and Mar Vista areas that will at least sort of split the commute. UCLA is much closer to these areas, but if parking for law students at UCLA is anything like it was when I was in undergrad, your girlfriend basically will not be driving to school. (Parking permits are nearly impossible to get unless you are a TA and/or live at least 25 miles away, and you'd be shelling out close to $2k for the year just for permits.) There's great bus lines in all of these areas (Culver City Green and Santa Monica Big Blue), and when I graduated in '07 students could swipe their BruinCard and ride for 25 cents. You can get to USC in 20-30 mins most of the time, and probably similar on the bus to UCLA.

From what I understand, it will be way easier to get a parking permit for USC, plus living on the Westside is probably more fun, and commuting from the Westside to USC is easier, traffic-wise, than living in Echo Park or Silver Lake and commuting to UCLA. Nearer to UCLA, North Westwood Village itself is party-hardy and where all the undergrads live. South of Wilshire (still in Westwood, more or less immediately south of campus by about a mile), is within easy walking distance for your gf, is more populated with young professionals, grad and medical students. The complexes there are also more modern (read: underground parking), which is a huge asset in this area because street parking is a complete bitch. Similar housing stock is available in the greater Westwood area, closer to the 10 freeway off Westwood Blvd and Sepulveda Blvd. (mostly north of Pico), off Beverly Glen between Wilshire and Santa Monica, and on the blocks immediately south of the Wilshire Corridor between UCLA and Beverly Hills.

There's good housing options as well in the Santa Monica/Brentwood areas (but it will be more expensive), and basically all of "Los Angeles" proper between UCLA and Santa Monica.

Mid-Wilshire, Park La Brea (aka the Grove area), and WeHo have options as well, especially in terms of splitting the commute, but these areas can vary in quality pretty quickly so be sure to visit in person. Also, commuting to either school from here would blow. (It may look like two miles from UCLA on Google Maps, but unless you're used to LA traffic, that'll easily take you an hour in traffic, via car or Metro Bus.) Getting the 10 freeway from here or using any of the major East/West arteries to get to USC also gets bumper-to-bumper pretty damn fast.

Then again, traffic in LA sucks everywhere so just be prepared for that. And keep in mind that the LA Metro's Orange Line/Expo Line will be serving the USC area soon. It's a light-rail/above-ground subway that's been under construction for a few years, starting in downtown and stopping literally 20 feet outside the USC law school on Exposition Boulevard. It will continue westward, with service as far a Culver City/Palms/Robertson expected in 2011 or 2012 I believe. May not help you this year, but it's something to keep in mind for later years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:30 pm 

It's already been said, but Culver City is probably the best 'split-the-commute-close-to-down-the-middle' option.

(from a USC grad)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:07 pm 

Thanks for all the replies everybody. It seems as though the consensus thus far is that I will be the one commuting, so my next question is: What is the best place for us to live that won't be too bad (preferably 45 mins or less) of a commute for me? Is santa monica too far?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:16 pm 

deem wrote:
Thanks for all the replies everybody. It seems as though the consensus thus far is that I will be the one commuting, so my next question is: What is the best place for us to live that won't be too bad (preferably 45 mins or less) of a commute for me? Is santa monica too far?

No, Santa Monica is not too far. And if you want to live somewhere "nice", then definitely stay closer to UCLA and further from USC. In fact the commute from Westwood/Santa Monica to SC is not bad at all, though traffic in L.A. is always a factor. Also I would imagine that living in or near UCLA will be much more expensive than living near SC. I'm not sure what the situation is in culver city, but that would definitely seem to be a reasonable midpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:22 pm 

This is easy, Culver city or Beverly Center Area.

You will both be looking at 20-30 minute commute. Both are safe and relatively nice areas. I prefer Bev center area. Alot of bars restaurants and young people.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:25 pm 

`

Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:28 pm 

You will be really surprised how quickly you get used to the traffic. I only work 15 miles from our apartment but it take 40 mins to an hour to get here. It used to seem like so much of my day was gone, but I barely even notice anymore. Santa Monica is a really nice place to live (I do) but you pay for it. Living near the beach is the only thing that makes LA livable for me and you can ride your bike to UCLA. But Culver City is a nice option as well if you want to save some money. Skip Westwood, I may be biased after 4 years of undergrad but it the only affordable part is a gross student ghetto.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:29 pm 

Echo park is nothing to be scared about. The area around USC on the other hand…..yup. Westwood is pricey so I would opt for Culver City (closer for her) or Echo Park (closer for you). Depends on who you like more?

Last edited by dsegura on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:47 pm 

Ktown is cheap and roughly equidistant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:52 pm 

amyLAchemist wrote:
Commute from Culver City/Palms/Century City to downtown would be meh, but to UCLA would be good. I would suggest Miracle Mile or Park La Brea/near the grove.

THIS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:53 pm 

Miracle Mile/park la brea is the probably the most equitable split that isn't a complete shithole. If you don't mind driving however, living near the beach is what makes LA, well, LA. Santa Monica has cheap apts and is a safe area. Lots and lots of good food down on Main St towards Venice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:33 pm 

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Santa Monica sounds awesome. I am used to driving in LA traffic because I commuted from Anaheim to Los Feliz 3 days a week last summer. However, I do not want to have a commute that is over an hour. Would driving from Santa Monica area to USC take more than 60 minutes in traffic? Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:18 pm 

deem wrote:
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Santa Monica sounds awesome. I am used to driving in LA traffic because I commuted from Anaheim to Los Feliz 3 days a week last summer. However, I do not want to have a commute that is over an hour. Would driving from Santa Monica area to USC take more than 60 minutes in traffic? Thanks again!

It depends on the control you have over your timing. If you plan to do a 9-5 day at school, you might be in trouble. But if you can commute in off hours (Before 8 am or after 10am, or after 6:30ish, you should be fine. There will always be a bad day here and there (the 10 East can get backed up anytime) but for th emost part I think you could drive it rountinely in 30-40 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:30 pm 

Yeah, the commute time/degree of traffic issue is really dependent on your class schedule. Night should be fine since it will give you incentive to sit in the lib instead of booking it home the second class lets out. As for the morning...get xm/sirius radio.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:33 pm 

USC 2L living in Santa Monica.

Traffic is totally manageable given what the above poster said: getting anywhere for 9 or 5 will be rough (like 45 minute commute) otherwise 20 minutes ish from SM to SC. Try to live close to the 10. The further north you get (and more surface streets you have to take to get to the 10) the longer your commute will be

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:35 pm 

USC 2L living in Santa Monica.

Traffic is totally manageable given what the above poster said: getting anywhere for 9 or 5 will be rough (like 45 minute commute) otherwise 20 minutes ish from SM to SC. Try to live close to the 10. The further north you get (and more surface streets you have to take to get to the 10) the longer your commute will be

culver city is also a good choice. Buses to from either SM or CC to UCLA are easy.

Parking for you, I think, is guaranteed.