What to do

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

What should I do?

Attend Georgetown this fall with $
15
65%
Work for another year and apply again next cycle
4
17%
Work for another year and try to defer at Georgetown
4
17%
 
Total votes: 23

asvart
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm

What to do

Postby asvart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:21 pm

I recently started a new job where the salary is pretty decent, around 60k. I was planning on going to law school this fall, but now I am not so sure. I don't have much work experience so I feel as though putting off law school for another year would offer me a good chance to really get a feel for what it will be like to work in an office all day. Plus it would bolster my resume for OCI. My best option is Georgetown with a quite small scholarship. Do you guys think I should a) just attend this fall, b)attempt to defer at Georgetown until next year and work this year, c)work this year and reapply to some of the top schools that waitlisted or rejected me knowing that my resume will be stronger and the competition may be less fierce next cycle?

asvart
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: What to do

Postby asvart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:28 pm

anyone?

wreckem
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Re: What to do

Postby wreckem » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:54 pm

What ever you do, do not defer as you won't likely get any money next year if you do. An extra year of work experiance isn't going to matter much, but might give you a boost at Northwestern. Taking a year off gives you an extra year to hope the legal market rebounds by for the start of your 2L year. That is really the only advantage of taking a year off that I can see. I'd sit tight on the WL's as some of them you won't really know for sure until the end of July.
Last edited by wreckem on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What to do

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:54 pm

wreckem wrote:What ever you do, do not defer as you won't likely get any money next year if you do.


You could ask if they can keep the scholarship for you. Some schools will, some schools won't.

wreckem
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Re: What to do

Postby wreckem » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:
wreckem wrote:What ever you do, do not defer as you won't likely get any money next year if you do.


You could ask if they can keep the scholarship for you. Some schools will, some schools won't.


Yeah but I wouldn't hold my breath on having them do that.

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: What to do

Postby luxxe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:49 pm

asvart wrote:I recently started a new job where the salary is pretty decent, around 60k. I was planning on going to law school this fall, but now I am not so sure. I don't have much work experience so I feel as though putting off law school for another year would offer me a good chance to really get a feel for what it will be like to work in an office all day. Plus it would bolster my resume for OCI. My best option is Georgetown with a quite small scholarship. Do you guys think I should a) just attend this fall, b)attempt to defer at Georgetown until next year and work this year, c)work this year and reapply to some of the top schools that waitlisted or rejected me knowing that my resume will be stronger and the competition may be less fierce next cycle?


your stronger resume isn't going to help you get into any different schools except maybe northwestern. if you are really set on getting into a better school/getting more money, re-take the lsat.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: What to do

Postby im_blue » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:20 am

luxxe wrote:
asvart wrote:I recently started a new job where the salary is pretty decent, around 60k. I was planning on going to law school this fall, but now I am not so sure. I don't have much work experience so I feel as though putting off law school for another year would offer me a good chance to really get a feel for what it will be like to work in an office all day. Plus it would bolster my resume for OCI. My best option is Georgetown with a quite small scholarship. Do you guys think I should a) just attend this fall, b)attempt to defer at Georgetown until next year and work this year, c)work this year and reapply to some of the top schools that waitlisted or rejected me knowing that my resume will be stronger and the competition may be less fierce next cycle?


your stronger resume isn't going to help you get into any different schools except maybe northwestern. if you are really set on getting into a better school/getting more money, re-take the lsat.

+1. A higher LSAT is the only way your application will be stronger next year, when the competition will surely be stiffer.

asvart
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: What to do

Postby asvart » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:04 pm

im_blue wrote:
luxxe wrote:
asvart wrote:I recently started a new job where the salary is pretty decent, around 60k. I was planning on going to law school this fall, but now I am not so sure. I don't have much work experience so I feel as though putting off law school for another year would offer me a good chance to really get a feel for what it will be like to work in an office all day. Plus it would bolster my resume for OCI. My best option is Georgetown with a quite small scholarship. Do you guys think I should a) just attend this fall, b)attempt to defer at Georgetown until next year and work this year, c)work this year and reapply to some of the top schools that waitlisted or rejected me knowing that my resume will be stronger and the competition may be less fierce next cycle?


your stronger resume isn't going to help you get into any different schools except maybe northwestern. if you are really set on getting into a better school/getting more money, re-take the lsat.

+1. A higher LSAT is the only way your application will be stronger next year, when the competition will surely be stiffer.


i am a splitter with a 172+ lsat so I dont think i can count on doing any better, and not sure how much it would help.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: What to do

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:28 am

asvart wrote:
im_blue wrote:
luxxe wrote:
asvart wrote:I recently started a new job where the salary is pretty decent, around 60k. I was planning on going to law school this fall, but now I am not so sure. I don't have much work experience so I feel as though putting off law school for another year would offer me a good chance to really get a feel for what it will be like to work in an office all day. Plus it would bolster my resume for OCI. My best option is Georgetown with a quite small scholarship. Do you guys think I should a) just attend this fall, b)attempt to defer at Georgetown until next year and work this year, c)work this year and reapply to some of the top schools that waitlisted or rejected me knowing that my resume will be stronger and the competition may be less fierce next cycle?


your stronger resume isn't going to help you get into any different schools except maybe northwestern. if you are really set on getting into a better school/getting more money, re-take the lsat.

+1. A higher LSAT is the only way your application will be stronger next year, when the competition will surely be stiffer.


i am a splitter with a 172+ lsat so I dont think i can count on doing any better, and not sure how much it would help.

So it looks like your best option is to attend GULC this year.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest