How come law school is more expensive than med school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby stintez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:52 am

simple because most law schools are scam artist. No matter how much in debt you are from med school even if its 250+ it comes with a few guarantees one you will never make less than six figures and two you will always have a job. I wish I could have gone to med school instead. :wink:

User avatar
KimmyGibbler
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby KimmyGibbler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 am

Supply and demand. Why are you even asking this? Are you not from a capitalist country?

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby iShotFirst » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am

Except for the UC ones, the prices look pretty similar between the two.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 am

Law has:

1) [strike]Infinite[/strike] more interested applicants
2) [strike]No[/strike] far lower standards for entry

Why not drive the cost up?

1) People will still beg parents/grandparents/aunt/uncles for money
2) The federal government will still back the loans
3) People will take $200,000+ out in loans with $178,000 at 8.9% interest for their dream of either saving whales (or equivalent) or working a big law firm (both are unrealistic - the former bc of the cost of law school and the latter because there really aren't that many big firm jobs to go around).

User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby stintez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:57 am

iShotFirst wrote:Except for the UC ones, the prices look pretty similar between the two.


what looks similar there incomes I highly doubt it! Or the price for school


User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:07 am

USNWR, ABA, Lobbyists, and federal government are not helping the situation. Consumers are not the brightest. Neither are voters. I don't hold my breath on this changing, but I'll be right up there when the proper solutions are finally brought forth for collective action.

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby baboon309 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:08 am

stintez wrote:simple because most law schools are scam artist. No matter how much in debt you are from med school even if its 250+ it comes with a few guarantees one you will never make less than six figures and two you will always have a job. I wish I could have gone to med school instead. :wink:



So you are guarnteed 6 figures coming out from med school? even if it`s a TTTT one?

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:14 am

baboon309 wrote:
stintez wrote:simple because most law schools are scam artist. No matter how much in debt you are from med school even if its 250+ it comes with a few guarantees one you will never make less than six figures and two you will always have a job. I wish I could have gone to med school instead. :wink:



So you are guarnteed 6 figures coming out from med school? even if it`s a TTTT one?


Yes, pretty much as long as its in the U.S. and accredited. Even the carribean schools will get you that salary somewhere. To say straight out from med school is complicated though because of the professional requirements. The way you say it, basically NO med schools provide 6 figures out of school.
Last edited by bernie shmegma on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby stintez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 am

baboon309 wrote:
stintez wrote:simple because most law schools are scam artist. No matter how much in debt you are from med school even if its 250+ it comes with a few guarantees one you will never make less than six figures and two you will always have a job. I wish I could have gone to med school instead. :wink:



So you are guarnteed 6 figures coming out from med school? even if it`s a TTTT one?


Yes you could go to the worse med school in the us and get only C's and you will never make less than six figures.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

stintez wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
stintez wrote:simple because most law schools are scam artist. No matter how much in debt you are from med school even if its 250+ it comes with a few guarantees one you will never make less than six figures and two you will always have a job. I wish I could have gone to med school instead. :wink:



So you are guarnteed 6 figures coming out from med school? even if it`s a TTTT one?


Yes you could go to the worse med school in the us and get only C's and you will never make less than six figures.


Right. Agreed. In fact, I would add some schools the other poster would consider at a TTTT school for the med school world - even though TTTT doesn't exist - they often don't even have grades. So essentially you are guaranteed Harvard law outcomes at a "TTTT" med school. Get it?
Last edited by bernie shmegma on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ram jam
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby ram jam » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 am

You know what they call someone who graduated last in his class from Med School?

... answer is obvious.

and someone who graduates last from law school?

A: Bankrupt and unemployed

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby Bert » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:27 am

baboon309 wrote:So you are guarnteed 6 figures coming out from med school? even if it`s a TTTT one?


Yes, unless you go and do something stupid like become a doctor in the middle of the country, you are pretty much guaranteed a well-paying job. If I am not mistaken, there are only about 125 accredited medical schools in the country. Access to medical school education is sufficiently restricted so that there is always a shortage of supply, and everybody needs a doctor. Compare that to law school (around 200 accredited law schools, and that number has been growing by at least one every year since 1998). Access to a JD has been getting easier and easier, but not everybody needs an attorney.

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby baboon309 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:32 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
stintez wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
stintez wrote:simple because most law schools are scam artist. No matter how much in debt you are from med school even if its 250+ it comes with a few guarantees one you will never make less than six figures and two you will always have a job. I wish I could have gone to med school instead. :wink:



So you are guarnteed 6 figures coming out from med school? even if it`s a TTTT one?


Yes you could go to the worse med school in the us and get only C's and you will never make less than six figures.


Right. Agreed. In fact, I would add some schools the other poster would consider at a TTTT school for the med school world - even though TTTT doesn't exist - they often don't even have grades. So essentially you are guaranteed Harvard law outcomes at a "TTTT" med school. Get it?


What about vet school??

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby underachiever » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:35 am

Because law school is easy to get into (NO requirements) and there are tons of people willing to take their English/Liberal Arts Majors and go to one of the 200+ law schools and then magically become a millionaire (HA HA!)

a good 70% of he students I know who got bounced from all MD and DO schools (even those offshore) have magically decided to become lawyers...AND found schools that will take them! Demand is through the roof and supply is pricing themselves just find it seems

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby Bert » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 am

From what I understand, access to vet school is even more restricted as it is more difficult than medical school.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby autarkh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 am

Maybe as a society we've decided to incentivize useful professions? :mrgreen:

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 am

Problem is you still have to be a doctor.

User avatar
KimmyGibbler
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby KimmyGibbler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Bert wrote:From what I understand, access to vet school is even more restricted as it is more difficult than medical school.


True, but vets don't make that much because people are willing to pay only so much for animal care. Sure, a couple big animal vets will make bank working for ranchers and horse racing or whatever, but it's mostly cats and dogs.

User avatar
cranberry
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby cranberry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 pm

that's not necessarily true. owners almost always have to pay cash for animal care; vets don't have to worry about taking health insurance... they're much less likely to get screwed over by medicare, insurance companies, etc.

i took my 14 year old dog in for a check-up last week. half an hour and $225 later she had a few vaccinations, a blood test, and some eyedrops for her allergies. if i went in for the same check-up on myself i would pay $15 co-pay and my insurance would pick up the rest... do you think they're paying another $210 to my doctor? no way

User avatar
ihurtmyselftoday
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 am

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:22 pm

baboon309 wrote:So you are guarnteed 6 figures coming out from med school? even if it`s a TTTT one?


People don't care where Doctor's go to med school.

If dude know how to fix bodies...Cool. If he don't? Well, that's cool too.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Law school costs more per year than medical school. However, getting a medical degree costs far more because you must attend a 4th year.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby ughOSU » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:28 pm

baboon309 wrote:I don't understand....

how?

User avatar
KimmyGibbler
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: How come law school is more expensive than med school?

Postby KimmyGibbler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:45 pm

cranberry wrote:that's not necessarily true. owners almost always have to pay cash for animal care; vets don't have to worry about taking health insurance... they're much less likely to get screwed over by medicare, insurance companies, etc.

i took my 14 year old dog in for a check-up last week. half an hour and $225 later she had a few vaccinations, a blood test, and some eyedrops for her allergies. if i went in for the same check-up on myself i would pay $15 co-pay and my insurance would pick up the rest... do you think they're paying another $210 to my doctor? no way


I think they are paying your doctor and his staff well over $210, yes.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chromefox and 5 guests