Would this be OK? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sbtb123

New

Would this be OK?

Post by sbtb123 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:37 am

kjkjkj
Last edited by sbtb123 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bert

Bronze

Re: Would this be OK?

Post by Bert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:41 am

You can do whatever you want, but I think you are making a tremendous mistake deferring admissions at one school knowing full well that you have accepted an offer at another school. Time to make a decision.

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Bert wrote:You can do whatever you want, but I think you are making a tremendous mistake deferring admissions at one school knowing full well that you have accepted an offer at another school. Time to make a decision.
+1

You certainly aren't going to make any friends at school A after they considered your app, accepted you, considered your request for deferral, and granted you a deferral then you write them a letter saying never mind, I'm going to attend school B.

Wooster33

Bronze

Post by Wooster33 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:37 pm

sbtb123 wrote:As of this moment, I am unsure if I want to attend law school next year. I have deferred admission to a T25 until next year but am wanting to accept admission to a school this school year (T25) just to cover my bases in case I decide I want to go to law school. Can someone do this? Is this ethical? Should I forget this plan?
I am going against the CW on this one. As long as you are not lying or deceiving either school in any way, then I say it's probably OK. Does the deferral have any conditions on it? Schools understand people weigh their options and often deposit at multiple institutions. If your reasons for a deferral were legit (and remain legit), and you haven't misrepresented the situation to the other school, then I am not sure why there would be an ethical issue.

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:39 pm

I was under the impression doing that would result in you losing your seat at both schools. You might want to carefully read the school's deferral policy.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:41 pm

I am not too familiar with the conditions of a deferral. I thought it was essentially an acceptance, but you are saying you will attend next year. In this case, you cannot ignore that. If it is an agreement whereby you are only "accepted" for next year, then I guess you could go ahead and accept for this year. It is still kind of a dick move, seeing as they have to discuss whether or not to give you a deferral.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”