What impact do roommates have on law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MoS

What impact do roommates have on law school?

Postby MoS » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

I was curious what kind of effect a bad roommate can have on law school. I was looking for apartments near my school and found a bedroom with a shared bath that was extremely cheap, but I wouldn't know who my roommate would be. I can't imagine it would be the worst case scenario, its so close to campus I would assume it would be a student and probably an undergrad student. But if it was a bad roommate, one I don't get along with. How badly could that affect my performance in law school?

gdane

Re: What impact do roommates have on law school?

Postby gdane » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:38 pm

It depends on the kind of person that you are. I had a bad roommate my freshman year of undergrad. We got into a verbal confrontation once and things were extremely uncomfortable after that. Fortunately, he left with a month left to go in the semester.

It didnt affect me too much since I did my work outside of my room and was only in my room to sleep.

Dont be too negative though. Try to cultivate a good relationship with your roommate from the start and you'll be fine. My deal was that he was going through family problems and subsequently started to change. He would come back to the dorm at 2 or 3am and would start watching movies on his computer or chatting on AIM. All the while, Id be trying to sleep. Very rude. We started off very well though. Somewhere along the way, we just stopped communicating and he changed. So just stay close to your roommate and you'll be fine.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Is it possible to have any say in the roommate? For instance, can you find someone on TLS or your school's class of 2013 Facebook group? Or does the landlord just find someone without your input? Law school, especially first year, would be a terrible time to have distractions in your life, like a bad roommate.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Cavalier wrote:Law school, especially first year, would be a terrible time to have distractions in your life, like a bad roommate.

These are my thoughts. Your apartment needs to be like your base, your headquarters, if you will (to steal a line from LSC... I think?). The last thing you want after a long day of classes and studying is to come home to an uncomfortable situation with a roommate.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:18 pm

These are my thoughts. Your apartment needs to be like your base, your headquarters, if you will (to steal a line from LSC... I think?). The last thing you want after a long day of classes and studying is to come home to an uncomfortable situation with a roommate.

I think a bad roommate could help your law school situation. You would prefer to stay in the library than go home and deal with the roommate. :lol:

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:22 pm

nealric wrote:

I think a bad roommate could help your law school situation. You would prefer to stay in the library than go home and deal with the roommate. :lol:

Touché.

strawberryfanta

Postby strawberryfanta » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:45 am

Roommates are bad. They jerk off and stuff.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:17 am

nealric wrote:

I had a really, really bad roommate situation once. You would think this would be the case, but it actually made it harder for me to get out of bed in the morning. I would actually be all ready to go to class, but then not go, because I didn't want to have to run into my roommate. So I would just stay in my room all day.
Beware! Bad roommate is always bad.

Return to “Law School FAQ”