Would it help me to double major? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JimCarrey728

New

Would it help me to double major?

Post by JimCarrey728 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Im finishing my BA in Political Science degree. Please dont say economics, as I am no good at math. I am also not too fond of science for right now. I had too much science in my undergraduate work, want to take a break. I was thinking of going to law school. I want to do something in environmental or healthcare law. I want to get MS in Ecology or a Masters in Public Health. I want to possibly adding a second major in.....

Philosophy
History
Sociology

FunkyJD

Silver

Re: Would it help me to double major?

Post by FunkyJD » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Study whatever it is that you like, and keep your ugrad GPA high as a motherf-----. That's all. Don't need a double major. Keep your grade points high.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:13 am

If you would enjoy one of those other majors, then go ahead, especially if you have good reason to believe your GPA will not suffer as a result. I double majored because two subjects fascinated me. Even if I could have somehow known that I would graduate with a 4.0 if I had only one major, I still would have chosen two. That's how valuable I found my classes.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:30 am

if your gpa is low and you need extra classes to boost then yes. if your gpa is fine then only double if you'd like. it will have an almost nonexistent influence on your cycle.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:11 am

Yeah, GPA GPA GPA! And LSAT is twice as important as that! I double-majored (because I enjoyed both subjects), but didn't find that it helped my cycle any more than my LSAT and GPA numbers made me expect. Just study what interests you, as that is a great way to increase your GPA!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:14 am

PO+PH FTW

But yeah, GPA should be your main concern. I recommend philsophy though, just cause its bad ass.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:25 am

FunkyJD wrote:Study whatever it is that you like, and keep your ugrad GPA high as a motherf-----. That's all. Don't need a double major. Keep your grade points high.
+100

Think of admissions like this:

High LSAT > High GPA > Son/Daughter of Sitting Senator > Cured Cancer > Like the Color Blue > Double Major > Softs

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:16 am

If you like it, and it doesn't bring your GPA down, knock yourself out. Don't expect it to help at all for law school admissions though.

AllBusiness

New

Post by AllBusiness » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Major in philosophy. If you have a good department at your school, studying philosophy will make you a worldly, intelligent, and interesting person.

Not by itself, of course. It couldn't hurt though. Jokes aside, philosophy is cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 pm

AllBusiness wrote:Major in philosophy. If you have a good department at your school, studying philosophy will make you a worldly, intelligent, and interesting person.

Not by itself, of course. It couldn't hurt though. Jokes aside, philosophy is cool.
Studying philosophy will make you think of yourself as a more wordly, intelligent, and interesting person. Take economics.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:11 am

Cactus wrote:
AllBusiness wrote:Major in philosophy. If you have a good department at your school, studying philosophy will make you a worldly, intelligent, and interesting person.

Studying philosophy will make you think of yourself as a more wordly, intelligent, and interesting person.
+1 for humor.
Cactus wrote:Take economics.
-1000 for GPA suicide.
Cactus wrote:Take economics pass/fail for credit.
Fixt; better.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 am

No, it will not help you.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:14 am

No, sadly law school admissions is basically LSAT, GPA, URM status. It won't help sorry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:01 pm

JimCarrey728 wrote:Im finishing my BA in Political Science degree. Please dont say economics, as I am no good at math. I am also not too fond of science for right now. I had too much science in my undergraduate work, want to take a break. I was thinking of going to law school. I want to do something in environmental or healthcare law. I want to get MS in Ecology or a Masters in Public Health. I want to possibly adding a second major in.....

Philosophy
History
Sociology
I took a concentration in philosophy and am all the different for it. That isn't to say you would enjoy it (only you would know), but personally... I'd go philosphy.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:04 pm

I'm not going to read the entire thread, but just answer the question in the title: absolutely not. in fact, it will most likely hurt you, since your grades will suffer. Do whatever it takes to get above a 3.7 GPA (single major, double major, tripple major, give BJs, WHATEVER IT TAKES).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:07 pm

icydash wrote:I'm not going to read the entire thread, but just answer the question in the title: absolutely not. in fact, it will most likely hurt you, since your grades will suffer. Do whatever it takes to get above a 3.7 GPA (single major, double major, tripple major, give BJs, WHATEVER IT TAKES).
Your grades will not suffer in the slightest. At many schools (including my own), it is very easy to pick up a second major. In fact, I personally find it a little lazy when people only have one major and no minor. I'm sure adcomms don't care how many majors you have, though.

TCR: If you want a second major, get a second major that you enjoy and will help (or at least not hurt) your GPA.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:11 pm

JimCarrey728 wrote:Im finishing my BA in Political Science degree. Please dont say economics, as I am no good at math. I am also not too fond of science for right now. I had too much science in my undergraduate work, want to take a break. I was thinking of going to law school. I want to do something in environmental or healthcare law. I want to get MS in Ecology or a Masters in Public Health. I want to possibly adding a second major in.....

Philosophy
History
Sociology
You're the poster child for what's wrong with our educational system. Instead of learning useful real-world skills which will actually help you find a job after graduation, you choose to drop who knows how many thousands of $$ to major in complete bullshit...subjects which require little more than a pulse in order to ace, let alone pass. Grow a pair and major in something which other people will find useful, otherwise you will end up with little more than a piece of toilet paper in your hands and bill collectors at your door. Employers have absolutely NO use for those subjects. Think of your future and use what precious little time you have left to actually learn some SKILLS as opposed to writing 10 page papers on why Democrats would be better off controlling congress or why every black person in the U.S. should be paid 10k's of $$ in reparations.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:In fact, I personally find it a little lazy when people only have one major and no minor.
How is choosing to get an in-depth education in one particular discipline lazy?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:00 am

MTal wrote:You're the poster child for what's wrong with our educational system. Instead of learning useful real-world skills which will actually help you find a job after graduation, you choose to drop who knows how many thousands of $$ to major in complete bullshit...subjects which require little more than a pulse in order to ace, let alone pass. Grow a pair and major in something which other people will find useful, otherwise you will end up with little more than a piece of toilet paper in your hands and bill collectors at your door. Employers have absolutely NO use for those subjects. Think of your future and use what precious little time you have left to actually learn some SKILLS as opposed to writing 10 page papers on why Democrats would be better off controlling congress or why every black person in the U.S. should be paid 10k's of $$ in reparations.
... does FunkyJD take the troll bait?
... does he? Does he?

Screw it, hockey's on. Will collect his reparations later -- by force, if necessary, like Michael Jordan, or Tracy Morgan, or Barack Obama.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 am

No, a double major in those degrees is essentially useless. Law firms don't care about that.

Majoring in two distinct hard-sciences would be another story (for those going the IP route).

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:27 am

Double-major in political science and nuclear engineering FTW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am

I'm a poli sci major and will most likely be adding a history major to my classes.

wildcats2008

New

Post by wildcats2008 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:08 am

"In fact, I personally find it a little lazy when people only have one major and no minor."

unless that major is engineering or math or some other type of science. some majors have so many requirements, it's tough to even
do a minor.

applytherightway

New

Post by applytherightway » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:01 pm

A double major is not needed. You should only pursue a double major if 1) your gpa is low, or 2) you have a genuine interest in the subject. Law school admission counselors, want to see a strong academic profile. One major with a cumulative gpa of 3.5 is better than two majors with a 3.25.

[Spam.]

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm

applytherightway wrote:Let Us Show You The Right Way To Apply To Law School

If you are visiting this site it's likely because you are seriously interested or ready to begin the application process for law school. Chances are your nerves are high, and you're trying to see where do you start first. Whether you've been in the workforce for a couple of years or about to graduate college, you understand the value a law school degree can add to your career opportunities.

Thousands of people every year apply to law school. They come from various backgrounds, ethnicities, and walks of life. In this current economy, law schools are receiving more and more applicants. As the applicant pool grows the spaces in the law schools remain the same. As a result the application process has gotten tougher, and admissions committee members may spend anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes on your application. In this allotted time, it is the applicants job to WOW the committee members. You want them to go on to the next application, but be unable to get yours out of their mind. As with everything in this world there's a right way and a wrong way to do something. The law school application process is no different. If you want the best chance at getting accepted then you need to apply the right way. Our guide shows you the right way to apply to law school. Not only will it show you the right way to apply to law school but also the most inexpensive. Law school applications range from fifty to eighty dollars, and the application fees largely deters many applicants from applying.

"Apply to Law School The Right Way" will show you how to apply to law school the right way and get accepted NOW! This guide comes from over three years of research with interviews from admissions committee members at top law schools, as well as current law school students. The steps outlined in this guide will show you how an applicant who graduated from a state school in New York, with a 3.25 gpa, and a 150 LSAT score, applied to eleven law schools, was accepted into eight out of the eleven, and received scholarships from seven out of the eight schools. The scholarships received ranged from $10,000 to $18,000. There were no special secrets used, nor did he have any connections with any of the law schools. He used the tools in the guide to achieve his success and so should you.

Do you really think I'd let a company with this sort of writing on its website anywhere NEAR my application process?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”