Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
pepsi
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:50 am

Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby pepsi » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:03 pm

So is joining a law fraternity while in law school worth it? Any current law students that could tell me what PAD does and if it's worth it? THanks!

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby ggocat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:19 pm

pepsi wrote:So is joining a law fraternity while in law school worth it? Any current law students that could tell me what PAD does and if it's worth it? THanks!

Depends on what you're looking to get out of it. It's a social organization, not a resume booster. But social organizations can be fun and help you meet new people. If you have time to do it and want to do it, then go ahead and do it.

lawbug
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby lawbug » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:30 pm

From my experience, being in PAD does gives you some exposure to the legal profession but not a whole lot. I think you don't have to be in PAD to get the types of exposure that I mentioned; you just need to be willing to go to all the events sponsored by the pre-law advising dept. One thing to remember, just like many coed groups, there are going to be dramas and it could get really ugly. Presumably PAD is a professional frat and you can get that experience if you try to, but many people get sucked into the dramas and before you know it the group becomes anything but professional. The bottom line is, if you are not doing anything useful with your time, then join. Again, take it with a gain of salt, maybe I had a bad experience at my chapter and not every chapter is like that.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby ggocat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:41 pm

lawbug wrote:From my experience, being in PAD does gives you some exposure to the legal profession but not a whole lot. I think you don't have to be in PAD to get the types of exposure that I mentioned; you just need to be willing to go to all the events sponsored by the pre-law advising dept. One thing to remember, just like many coed groups, there are going to be dramas and it could get really ugly. Presumably PAD is a professional frat and you can get that experience if you try to, but many people get sucked into the dramas and before you know it the group becomes anything but professional. The bottom line is, if you are not doing anything useful with your time, then join. Again, take it with a gain of salt, maybe I had a bad experience at my chapter and not every chapter is like that.

OP is referring to law school PAD, not pre-law. (But yes, the organization exists as a pre-law group at many universities).

lawbug
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby lawbug » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:56 pm

ggocat wrote:
lawbug wrote:From my experience, being in PAD does gives you some exposure to the legal profession but not a whole lot. I think you don't have to be in PAD to get the types of exposure that I mentioned; you just need to be willing to go to all the events sponsored by the pre-law advising dept. One thing to remember, just like many coed groups, there are going to be dramas and it could get really ugly. Presumably PAD is a professional frat and you can get that experience if you try to, but many people get sucked into the dramas and before you know it the group becomes anything but professional. The bottom line is, if you are not doing anything useful with your time, then join. Again, take it with a gain of salt, maybe I had a bad experience at my chapter and not every chapter is like that.

OP is referring to law school PAD, not pre-law. (But yes, the organization exists as a pre-law group at many universities).


My apology. for some reason I kept thinking the OP wanted to join while in undergrad

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 pm

No.

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:38 pm

No.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby kurla88 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Wtf is PAD?

User avatar
mazzini
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby mazzini » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:47 pm

don't be that guy.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:48 pm

kurla88 wrote:Wtf is PAD?

Image

Though you can also try out the online version:

Image

User avatar
femme
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby femme » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:18 pm

I would imagine the benefits vary from school to school. As another poster mentioned, it's basically a social organization. I was a member of PAD when I was an undergrad, we had some interesting guest speakers and received a discount for prep classes and Brook's Brothers.

pepsi
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby pepsi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:32 pm

femme wrote:I would imagine the benefits vary from school to school. As another poster mentioned, it's basically a social organization. I was a member of PAD when I was an undergrad, we had some interesting guest speakers and received a discount for prep classes and Brook's Brothers.

Is anyone a member of PAD as a curretn law student that could share their opinion?

pepsi
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Is joining Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) worth it?

Postby pepsi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:54 pm

[j




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests