Pre-Law School Read

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
romothesavior

Pre-Law School Read

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 pm

I am a 0L and I really want to know what to expect on day 1 of law school. I'm not looking to become a gunner and read all the E&Es and hornbooks, but I do want to know what to expect in law school day-to-day, what to expect on exams, how to outline, etc.

So my question: If I were to read one pre-law school preparation book, what would it be?

(I know this has been discussed in a few other threads, but it seems like the wide-array of responses drown each other out.)

kalvano

Re: Pre-Law School Read

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:52 pm

From an email from Wake Forest -

Legal Specialties by Lisa Abrams. This book demystifies the various areas of law practice and can help you understand what is needed and expected to excel in each specialty.

Guerilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams by Kimm Walton. This book represents a realistic view of the law student's legal job search and identifies methods for finding employment regardless of your grades, your school or your work experience.

What Do I Say Next? Talking Your Way to Business and Social Success by Susan RoAne.

If you want to network and be a good conversationalist, you need to work at it. This book provides the tools and the general encouragement to get you into the arena with some confidence, to be yourself and not to steer the conversation to your purposes.

It teaches you there is no shame in small talk; that small talk is a large part of making a connection with someone.

mmmadeli

Postby mmmadeli » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:35 am

I know it's not necessarily intended as an instruction manual, but I thought that Scott Turow book One L was fascinating. He's an excellent writer, and even though it's a little dated, it's really interesting to go through the entire year, and he touches on a lot of things I find myself thinking and worrying about as I'm getting ready to enter law school now. And it's easy to read, it reads basically like a novel. But maybe it's not exactly what you're looking for.

Postby 270910 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:28 am

Law School Confidential lays it all down. Its advice isn't very strong, but it's the perfect overview of the three years - description of the classes, the stressful times, moot court, law review, interviews, etc. It was my favorite 'story' book prior to starting law school, and it has been fairly accurate in my experience.

firebreathingliberal

Postby firebreathingliberal » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:24 am

I was advised to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Your-Case-Persuading-Judges/dp/0314184716/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2HT6YPD6VBGZS&colid=24HXNAF6T1T4A

Supposedly it is very helpful when it comes to legal writing.

Also I was told to learn to type faster over the summer.

edit: I was advised by TLSers to read this
Last edited by firebreathingliberal on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kissy

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:38 am

getting to maybe

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:41 am

firebreathingliberal wrote:I was advised to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Your-Case-Persuading-Judges/dp/0314184716/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2HT6YPD6VBGZS&colid=24HXNAF6T1T4A

Supposedly it is very helpful when it comes to legal writing.

Also I was told to learn to type faster over the summer.

Each school is different, but my LW&R class was writing a nonpartial memo on a legal issue. In my 2nd semester moot court class we had to write an appellate brief which argued from our client's side.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll probably check out Getting to Maybe and Law School Confidential, and maybe even read that Guerilla Tactics book as well, if I have time. I'm really just looking for a good overview of what I'll be confronted with, since I keep hearing how different LS is from undergrad. Thanks again.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Legal Specialties by Lisa Abrams. This book demystifies the various areas of law practice and can help you understand what is needed and expected to excel in each specialty.

Guerilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams by Kimm Walton. This book represents a realistic view of the law student's legal job search and identifies methods for finding employment regardless of your grades, your school or your work experience.

What Do I Say Next? Talking Your Way to Business and Social Success by Susan RoAne.

If you want to network and be a good conversationalist, you need to work at it. This book provides the tools and the general encouragement to get you into the arena with some confidence, to be yourself and not to steer the conversation to your purposes.

It teaches you there is no shame in small talk; that small talk is a large part of making a connection with someone.

Is anybody seriously thinking about reading any of these?

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm reading H.L.A. Hart's The Concept of Law right now. If you like careful philosophy, I think you'll enjoy it.

Return to “Law School FAQ”