Playing a Sport in Law School..Bad Idea?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Is Playing a Sport (Club Soccer) in Law School feasible?

Yes
59%
No
19%
Depends
22%

Total votes: 78

kissy

Re: Playing a Sport in Law School..Bad Idea?

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:09 am

does masturbating frequently qualify as a club "sport"

if yes, then i do

getmeouttahere

Postby getmeouttahere » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:34 am

I played an NCAA sport (swimming) in college which also had a T20 law school. We had a guy come out for the men's team one year since he still had a year left of his eligibility. Our coach understood his time commitment to LS and pretty much let him make his own practice schedule. The guy ended up being a huge point scorer for the team. He set numerous school and conference records, and was a large factor in relays as well.

Swimming is slightly different than soccer because it is individual, so you can train on your own. If he hadn't been able to make his own practice schedule, I think it would have been extremely difficult for him to participate. I know the meet schedule was the toughest thing for him because we would have to leave early on school days to travel, but our coach continued to make arrangements for him knowing his situation. I don't know how his grades were his first year, but he didn't flunk out at least.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:51 am

The kicker for the University of Florida football team is in law school.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:34 am

thegor1987 wrote:Would you be playing D1? You may be able to make some pretty good connections if you you want to become a sports agent...

No, it would be D3, but I still wouldn't mind playing if I could and maybe I could still make some connections that wouldn't hurt if I wanted to do sports law or something.

getmeouttahere wrote:I played an NCAA sport (swimming) in college which also had a T20 law school. We had a guy come out for the men's team one year since he still had a year left of his eligibility.

Well, if I can figure out the eligibility thing I might see if I can work something out.

lawhawk wrote:The kicker for the University of Florida football team is in law school.

So some people do it, and playing football at UF has to be a huge time commit. I think some school had a starting quaterback a few years ago who was in law school, or maybe he was just old.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:45 am

lawhawk wrote:The kicker for the University of Florida football team is in law school.

The OP asked about playing a sport, and kicking for a football team isn't a sport. Let's stay on track here people. :|

johnnytall

Postby johnnytall » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:53 am

sumus romani wrote:

The OP asked about playing a sport, and kicking for a football team isn't a sport. Let's stay on track here people. :|

A lot of anti-kicking sentiment on this thread. Anti-soccer and anti-football-kicker. I don't want to see what will happen if a kickboxer posts here...he will get torn to pieces.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:58 am

johnnytall wrote:
sumus romani wrote:

A lot of anti-kicking sentiment on this thread. Anti-soccer and anti-football-kicker. I don't want to see what will happen if a kickboxer posts here...he will get torn to pieces.

Nope, so long as you kick something that can kick back, you're talking sport. Seriously though, I like soccer too.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Any current football player, or NCAA athlete, that is in law school, medical school, graduate school or any other form of continuing study is a fifth year senior. A lot of athletes, mainly QB's, at D1 schools enroll in a graduate form of study in order to play what would be their fourth year. For instance, a few years back in 2006 Troy Smith was a graduate student at Ohio State, but he was referred to as a Redshirt Senior. He redshirted his freshman year (hence he didnt play and saved a year of eligibility) and played until his four years of eligibility were up, in his case at the end of his first year of graduate school. The QB at FIU, Paul McCall, did the same thing. He was a grad student last year in order to play his final year of college ball.

johnnytall

Postby johnnytall » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:04 pm

I have been thinking more about this the past couple of days and I have a question. The club sport I am considering playing has several away tournaments each semester in other states. In UG this required missing classes on Friday or Thurs/Fri (which was a welcome excuse to skip class in UG), but I am wondering about the logistics of missing class in law school. Is it 1L suicide to miss class? Am I being too dramatic?

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:29 pm

johnnytall wrote:I have been thinking more about this the past couple of days and I have a question. The club sport I am considering playing has several away tournaments each semester in other states. In UG this required missing classes on Friday or Thurs/Fri (which was a welcome excuse to skip class in UG), but I am wondering about the logistics of missing class in law school. Is it 1L suicide to miss class? Am I being too dramatic?

Yeah, the away games are my concern too. Those can take up a bunch of time. Since I haven't started law school yet, I don't know how important it is to attend every class. I'd like some input from people currently in law school.

RickyMack

Postby RickyMack » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Joga Bonito wrote: I am a recovering procrastinater, but, I won't be procrastinating in law school, thats for damn sure. I've learned my lesson. Don't most schools make you buy health insurance?

i was also thinking about recovering from being a procrastinator, but i think i'll put it off til next week.

Return to “Law School FAQ”