Assignments/homework for law school classes?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thekingiv

Assignments/homework for law school classes?

Postby thekingiv » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:35 pm

I apologize if this is a dumb question, and the truth is I know it probably differs by teachers, but how are the assignments shared?

For instance, in just about every undergrad class, we got a syllabus on the first day that had all our reading/homework assignments and you could go ahead and put them on your calendar. Is it the same way for the most part in law school?

Also, aren't these classes structured so that you pretty much only have reading assignments with a few papers to write over the course of the semester before the final exam? Are there usually mid-terms?

Thanks for any input.

rayiner

Re: Assignments/homework for law school classes?

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:39 pm

thekingiv wrote:I apologize if this is a dumb question, and the truth is I know it probably differs by teachers, but how are the assignments shared?

For instance, in just about every undergrad class, we got a syllabus on the first day that had all our reading/homework assignments and you could go ahead and put them on your calendar. Is it the same way for the most part in law school?

Also, aren't these classes structured so that you pretty much only have reading assignments with a few papers to write over the course of the semester before the final exam? Are there usually mid-terms?

Thanks for any input.

NU uses this thing called Blackboard where professors post the reading assignments for the year on the syllabus. Most law classes (besides LRW obviously) are structured so there is just reading and a final exam. Our Property class this semester has a couple of ungraded papers, and we had ungraded practice midterms in Con Law and Property this sem and Torts, Contracts, Civ Pro, and Crim last semester. Graded assignments other than the final are highly unusual.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:36 pm

One exam to rule them all

rando

Postby rando » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 pm

upper level courses may have smaller graded assignments or multiple papers. The only classes I know of that have "homework" assignments are in transactional courses like contract drafting, pre-trial litigation, or negotiations.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:34 pm

nealric wrote:One exam to rule them all

And in the darkness depress them.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 pm

kalvano wrote:
nealric wrote:One exam to rule them all

And in the darkness depress them.

If someone can do the whole poem in law references I'll love them forever.

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Three exams for the 1Ls nearing OCI
Seven for the the 2Ls doomed who groan
Nine for the 3Ls about to die
One for the Gunner, he who will pwn
In the Court of SCOTUS where the Justices lie
One exam to rape them all, One exam to find them,
One exam to kill their dreams and to their loan debt bind them
In the Land of Law School, where all goodness dies

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Esc wrote:Three exams for the 1Ls nearing OCI

<3<3

jtgain

Postby jtgain » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:38 pm

rayiner wrote:
thekingiv wrote:I apologize if this is a dumb question, and the truth is I know it probably differs by teachers, but how are the assignments shared?

Thanks for any input.

NU uses this thing called Blackboard where professors post the reading assignments for the year on the syllabus. Most law classes (besides LRW obviously) are structured so there is just reading and a final exam. Our Property class this semester has a couple of ungraded papers, and we had ungraded practice midterms in Con Law and Property this sem and Torts, Contracts, Civ Pro, and Crim last semester. Graded assignments other than the final are highly unusual.

So how do you know if you are getting the material/on the right track? Do you just find out when you get your final grade back that you've been reading the material all wrong and/or that you are a law genius?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:43 pm

jtgain wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Thanks for any input.

So how do you know if you are getting the material/on the right track? Do you just find out when you get your final grade back that you've been reading the material all wrong and/or that you are a law genius?

That sounds about right.

jtgain

Postby jtgain » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:49 pm

GeePee wrote:
jtgain wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Thanks for any input.

That sounds about right.

Seriously? There's no way to get any type of feedback as the semester moves forward?

Quine

Postby Quine » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Esc wrote:Three exams for the 1Ls nearing OCI

Awesome.

presh

Postby presh » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Return to “Law School FAQ”