Anyone commute to Loyola LA from Orange County?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Anyone commute to Loyola LA from Orange County?

Postby fastpaced » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 am

Is it at all feasible/bearable to commute from Fullerton?

Re: Anyone commute to Loyola LA from Orange County?

Postby eaters333 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:59 am

its possible...if you are the most patient person in the world and are willing to sit through almost 4 hours of traffic a day :)

Postby dalancas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:06 am

From everything I have heard, yes.

Right now I work at the Legal Aid Society of OC and one of my bosses is a Loyola grad and she essentially commuted the entire time. There is also a woman who works with me who lives with her husband in Orange County and commutes to Loyola every other day.

I also am 95% sure I am headed to LLS next fall and live in Orange. I have one word for you buddy: Metrolink. I mean think about it. It takes maybe 45 minutes to get from Fullerton/Anaheim to Union Station. Then, another 10 minutes to get from Union Station to 7th/Flower (via Metro Red/Purple subway line) where the LLS shuttle picks people up every 15 minutes. LLS subsidizes tickets too. All in all it would maybe take 90 minutes to get from Fullerton station to the library at school. The nice thing is that you would be able to spend that time on the train studying, prepping or otherwise.

For the first year, it would be my intuition to live as close to school as possible to cut down time. Because you have to be at school every single day, that commute might wear on you more than if you could just stay in OC two days a week and study at the Chapman law library or wherever. Part time students would have an easier time doing this from what I hear. My plan is to live somewhere a lot closer to school -but no matter how you cut it, it is still going to take at least an hour to get to class if you take Metro from anywhere.

Pasadena looks tempting to me because 1) I spent a lot of time up there for the Rose Parade Honor Band practice in HS and 2) it is west of LA so I could go down and visit my friends in OC/SD more easily without having to suffer the misery that is west-side traffic. Getting to Union Station from Lake Avenue in Pasadena takes 20 minutes so i guess it would save 20 minutes off of a hypothetical Metrolink trip from Fullerton. So you can see that Metrolink is pretty competitive with commuting to the school via Metro... I am kind of sketched out by actually driving to the school for a litany of reasons ranging from potential accidents in the parking lot to just traffic problems one finds on the freeways (got to love the 5 and 10... always fun!)

I guess you can tell I have put a lot of (unnecessary) thought into this because I am bored these days.

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 pm

it is possible but you will be spending an enormous amount of time and gas $$$. really.........if you can avoid doing this in any way, do so

Return to “Law School FAQ”