Significant other in section Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
b.gump81

Bronze

Significant other in section

Post by b.gump81 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:26 pm

My girlfriend and I plan on attending the same law school this fall, and we were wanting to be in the same section. I personally think it would be a good idea because I feel it would help us academically, as we will be in the same classes with the same professors. We also find it appealing to be in the same circle of friends. Save some horrible break-up, can anyone think of any possible problems with this?

sca218ml

New

Re: Significant other in section

Post by sca218ml » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:28 pm

go in different sections, you'll still have the same group of friends, just a larger group

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:30 pm

b.gump81 wrote: Save some horrible break-up, can anyone think of any possible problems with this?
To have semblance of independence and lives apart from one another?

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:32 pm

b.gump81 wrote:My girlfriend and I plan on attending the same lawl skool this fall, and we were wanting to be in the same section. I personally think it would be a good idea because I feel it would help us academically, as we will be in the same classes with the same professors. We also find it appealing to be in the same circle of friends. Save some horrible break-up, can anyone think of any possible problems with this?
Yea, your gf becomes your enemy because of the curve. And you will spend every single part of the day with her. What next, you gonna tell me you live with her?

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:36 pm

TTTennis wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:My girlfriend and I plan on attending the same lawl skool this fall, and we were wanting to be in the same section. I personally think it would be a good idea because I feel it would help us academically, as we will be in the same classes with the same professors. We also find it appealing to be in the same circle of friends. Save some horrible break-up, can anyone think of any possible problems with this?
Yea, your gf becomes your enemy because of the curve. And you will spend every single part of the day with her. What next, you gonna tell me you live with her?
no, we would have our seperate houses, and I plan on spending most of my time outside of class studying alone. I thought about the curve and am not worried about helping her, especially when she would be helping me in return. I am not the type of person that's going to get bent out of shape over losing one spot in my class rank, especially when her success helps me in as well.
Last edited by b.gump81 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:37 pm

Have you ever done this before?

I think it depends on the person. I've taken a class with my current fiance back in undergrad, and I can say that we had a good time. I can also say that I've gotten that over with and never plan on doing it again. Here's what made it difficult for me:

1. I felt obligated to out-do her academically. I know this might be perceived as a problem worthy of criticism. But, before you do, think about how it feels to have your woman out-doing you in school.
2. We'd end up doing each other when studying together.
3. I preferred to have my personal life and academics/work separated. I enjoyed the privacy. It's like, you see the person in school three times a week (just because of that one class).

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:40 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:Have you ever done this before?

I think it depends on the person. I've taken a class with my current fiance back in undergrad, and I can say that we had a good time. I can also say that I've gotten that over with and never plan on doing it again. Here's what made it difficult for me:

1. I felt obligated to out-do her academically. I know this might be perceived as a problem worthy of criticism. But, before you do, think about how it feels to have your woman out-doing you in school.
2. We'd end up doing each other when studying together.
3. I preferred to have my personal life and academics/work separated. I enjoyed the privacy. It's like, you see the person in school three times a week (just because of that one class).
good points...thanks

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 pm

The ultimate gunner wouldn't ask this. He'd do it, then sabotage her academically to help the curve.

tigrelis

New

Post by tigrelis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:44 pm

This sounds like a bad idea, unless you are both extremely co-dependent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The ultimate gunner wouldn't ask this. He'd do it, then sabotage her academically to help the curve.
Damn you T-L-S...T_I_T_C_R
Last edited by TTTennis on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:50 pm

TTTennis wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The ultimate gunner wouldn't ask this. He'd do it, then sabotage her academically to help the curve.
You're missing the point, friend.
LOL you expect me to be srs?

This is a horrible idea. You need to have some space. You will pay less attention in class, and you don't want to be direct competition with your girlfriend.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:51 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
Oh God, the horrors!!! Grow up, it's the 21st century.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 pm

lawyering wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
BS, what kind of man loses to a woman? :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:56 pm

TTTennis wrote:
lawyering wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
Hahaha. =) clearly not the kind who make SURE to date women dumber than them. can't have a blow to that ego...

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:07 pm

It's just a matter of ego/taste. I'm just not as attracted to women that act like they know it all. I prefer women just staying home to cook, and absorb the personal/political opinions that their men have.

I also hate feminists.
lawyering wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
Uhh.. Hello??? Earth to America??? Gaaawwwwwl!!! I'm a progressive pro-choice female empowerment fart-sniffing douche bag that thinks it's ridiculous for men to feel a little uncomfortable about losing to their women. Oh God, the horrors!!! Grow up, it's the 21st century.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:09 pm

lawyering wrote:
TTTennis wrote:
lawyering wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
Hahaha. =) clearly not the kind who make SURE to date women dumber than them. can't have a blow to that ego...
TBF, the dumber ones are usually prettier. But...the smart ones can go to lawl schools like Y.A.L.E. and then pay for me to live. I could be a kept man

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:13 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
I also hate feminists.
Oh for heavens sake, no you don't. You might hate some theories and branches of feminism, but whenever someone says, "I hate feminists," you're basically saying that you hate equal rights for women.

I despise many branches and incarnations of feminism, but whenever a male or a female says a blanket, "I hate feminism," its just so silly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
I also hate feminists.
Oh for heavens sake, no you don't. You might hate some theories and branches of feminism, but whenever someone says, "I hate feminists," you're basically saying that you hate equal rights for women.

I despise many branches and incarnations of feminism, but whenever a male or a female says a blanket, "I hate feminism," its just so silly.
He also said that he prefers women just staying home to cook, and absorb the personal/political opinions that their men have. I think it is safe to say he hates feminism and equal rights for women. And so do I. Why should a woman be paid as much as me? She can't run as fast, bench press as much, or do anything else as good as me...why pay her the same?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:22 pm

TTTennis wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
I also hate feminists.

He also said that he prefers women just staying home to cook, and absorb the personal/political opinions that their men have. I think it is safe to say he hates feminism and equal rights for women. And so do I. Why should a woman be paid as much as me? She can't run as fast, bench press as much, or do anything else as good as me...why pay her the same?
Haha, excellent points.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:23 pm

You know a thread is fucked when Desert Fox is the biggest feminist in it.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Bad Idea. Space - The Final Frontier

I second what has been said about space, distraction, competition etc but also...

"Save for some horrendous breakup" Sounds unlikely in your situation but you're not living together so it's not like you're engaged yet. And the bigger the relationship, the worse the break-up (if it happens).

I think your already going to be together enough taking the same classes the same year at the same school. Just let them put you wherever they want

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 pm

My girlfriend and I are going to the same school and we are PRAYING that we are not in the same section. It literally spells trouble. Just unnecessary.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
I also hate feminists.

I think the endorsement of equal rights really depends on the context. In my home country, every male citizen is required to join the military for two years. I could go on ahead and preach more about what the implications are in terms of equal rights, but I won't:D

A funny fact: There was this really huge political debate that was nationally televised, and this female politician was refuting one of the claims of her male counterpart. The man replied "Why would you, a woman, drive around in a nice car and display your pathetic attempt at being a politician, when you should be sitting at the corner of your room at home plugging and unplugging your family-rice-cooker?"

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:58 pm

TTTennis wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
I also hate feminists.

I say this to my fiance all the time. I also claim that women are weaker versions of men. She doesn't have a problem with it because I feed her the opinions that she ought to have.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:13 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
TTTennis wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
I also hate feminists.

I say this to my fiance all the time. I also claim that women are weaker versions of men. She doesn't have a problem with it because I feed her the opinions that she ought to have.
I felt like crying a little bit when I read your post.

Than I noticed that you sounded like dwight from the office,
and I laughed at you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKUnr3y9lZo

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”