Best Law School for Texas? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: Best lawl skool for Texas?

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
That people want to stay in places where they love to live? :roll:

Not quite so flattering.
You seem like a douche. What's your theory?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Not quite so flattering.

I'm a douche, so I am not going to tell you.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:42 pm

kalvano wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Not quite so flattering.

I'm a douche, so I am not going to tell you.
:lol: :lol: :lol: But you seem like the type of person where your theories would just bring forth springs of understanding in others!!!

Guess I made a huge mistake by depriving myself of such a thing.

edit: If you don't enjoy living in Texas, why not just try to move somewhere else?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Guess I made a huge mistake by depriving myself of such a thing.

One day, you'll be able to look back in awe and think "He was a douche to me. ME!" And no moment on Earth will really compare.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:edit: If you don't enjoy living in Texas, why not just try to move somewhere else?

I am. Want to buy a house?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:edit: If you don't enjoy living in Texas, why not just try to move somewhere else?

I'm about to most likely take on some significant debt, sorry.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:49 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I'm about to most likely take on some significant debt, sorry.

What's a little more?

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:50 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Sangiovese wrote:
And for what it's worth, here's a link to a pretty picture that shows how the various Texas law firms place. Hope it helps those who are looking for real information rather than just an opportunity to spout their opinion.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/regional_TX.pdf
You might be misreading that graph in a fundamental way.

It's not ranking the schools based on placement in that specific region.

It's taking national placement rankings and then grouping schools by region. Get it?
I'm reading it correctly. Nationally, about 9% more of the UT class gets biglaw. I get it. And I agree that if biglaw is your goal and you're not restricting the conversation to just Dallas, then UT is hands down the better choice.

My point of contention is that I think the "home court advantage" of SMU in Dallas trumps a 9% nationwide advantage.

At any rate... my numbers aren't changing your mind, and you havent shown me anything in an attempt to change mine - so I guess we're just not going to come to any sort of consensus. I do apologize if I came across in a harsh tone... it's easy to do that on an internet forum, and I'm in a foul mood anyway cause the guys in engineering just trashed my weekend by moving a release schedule. Bleh.

One parting shot... did you notice that the yellow bar on that graph is bigger for UT? :mrgreen:

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:51 pm

For being the 15th-ranked school in that nation and graduating a class almost double that of SMU, it's only 9% better?

Kind of sad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:00 pm

RVP11 wrote:In all seriousness, OP:

If you have ties to TX in general (and Dallas or Houston specifically), and assuming we are talking about BigLaw, I'd say:

YHS > CCNMVPBDN (note: Virgin-ia notably places a lot in TX, CCN don't) > UT > Corneell/George-town > SMU or Houston
So you're saying Pennnsylvania or Corn-ell are better than SMU for biglaw jobs in TX? How do you even go about measuring that? I would say that if you're interested in practicing in a big firm in TX, going to one of those schools would not be your wisest option.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:29 pm

kalvano wrote:For being the 15th-ranked school in that nation and graduating a class almost double that of SMU, it's only 9% better?

Kind of sad.
seriously, flame more. you're about to cross the line between 'annoying' and 'laughable' (i prefer the latter because then i really just shrug my shoulders, giggle, and go "oh you" -- a much more enjoyable and happy experience).

louboutin

Bronze

Post by louboutin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

kalvano wrote:For being the 15th-ranked school in that nation and graduating a class almost double that of SMU, it's only 9% better?

Kind of sad.
sounds like you're headed to SMU?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:34 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:seriously, flame more. you're about to cross the line between 'annoying' and 'laughable' (i prefer the latter because then i really just shrug my shoulders, giggle, and go "oh you" -- a much more enjoyable and happy experience).
I'm curious what about that constitutes "flaming"? Pointing out facts? Or just facts that aren't to your liking?

louboutin wrote:sounds like you're headed to SMU?

Not if I can help it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

madmartigan

Bronze

Re: Best Law School for Texas?

Post by madmartigan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:17 pm

I must say, this debate is a bit curious...

If you go to UT you will have an easier time getting biglaw in Dallas than if you attend SMU. It's that simple.

There isn't really any room for debate in the statistics. UT places more biglaw than SMU (see NLJ250 report). And it isn't relevant that SMU may or may not have more grads in big law firms in Dallas. UT grads have the option of Austin, Dallas, and Houston. If UT grads only went to Dallas to work, they would dominate SMU in Dallas biglaw quantity.

Top1/3 at UT has a better shot at Dallas biglaw than top1/3 at SMU.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:27 pm

OK, sure.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:seriously, flame more. you're about to cross the line between 'annoying' and 'laughable' (i prefer the latter because then i really just shrug my shoulders, giggle, and go "oh you" -- a much more enjoyable and happy experience).
I'm curious what about that constitutes "flaming"? Pointing out facts? Or just facts that aren't to your liking?
have you read your posts? it reeks of anti-TX (the state) trolling, which is cute and all, but really not what the OP was asking about or even cares about (in fact, no one in this thread really cares besides you)

some ppl are actually interested in the substance discussed in this thread; it gets tiring trying to find it while sifting through your unsolicited biased bullshit

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:03 pm

chrisokc wrote:
RVP11 wrote:In all seriousness, OP:

If you have ties to TX in general (and Dallas or Houston specifically), and assuming we are talking about BigLaw, I'd say:

YHS > CCNMVPBDN (note: Virgin-ia notably places a lot in TX, CCN don't) > UT > Corneell/George-town > SMU or Houston
So you're saying Pennnsylvania or Corn-ell are better than SMU for biglaw jobs in TX? How do you even go about measuring that? I would say that if you're interested in practicing in a big firm in TX, going to one of those schools would not be your wisest option.
And I'd say that you're wrong.

Penn and Cornell are better than SMU for BigLaw jobs EVERYWHERE.

We all get that TX is an insular market. But TX BigLaw firms aren't having Bob Buckaroo of Tex "Tripp" McCoy do their interviews and they're not going to hold it against someone with the necessary TX ties for going to an elite school. Firms like to have school diversity - this is why more than one 3L on here has recommended picking against a school's primary market.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:04 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
kalvano wrote:
have you read your posts? it reeks of anti-TX (the state) trolling, which is cute and all, but really not what the OP was asking about or even cares about (in fact, no one in this thread really cares besides you)

some ppl are actually interested in the substance discussed in this thread; it gets tiring trying to find it while sifting through your unsolicited biased bullshit

What the fuck are you on about? I had one dialogue with one poster for about 5 posts in which I made it clear I don't like Texas (and was joking around a bit too), and one comment before that in which I said -
kalvano wrote:I don't even like Texas. I can't stand it, actually. But I do know the Dallas legal market pretty well.

Because someone thought I was being defensive about Texas, so I was clarifying my position.

Other than that, it was all about what the best law school for Texas is, which is the exact thing the OP wanted to know.

Apparently, one dig at UT and I am anti-Texas trolling this thread, even though I was just stating the facts in the post I quoted. Apparently I was right...facts not your liking means flaming.

You're kind of an idiot.
Last edited by kalvano on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:20 pm

Kind of sad.
i don't understand why you're making the "double class size" point. when talking about percentages of the class, you do realize this means UT has well over double the biglaw grads as smu? how is that sad?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:30 pm

kalvano wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote: have you read your posts? it reeks of anti-TX (the state) trolling, which is cute and all, but really not what the OP was asking about or even cares about (in fact, no one in this thread really cares besides you)

What the fuck are you on about? I had one dialogue with one poster for about 5 posts in which I made it clear I don't like Texas (and was joking around a bit too), and one comment before that in which I said -
kalvano wrote:I don't even like Texas. I can't stand it, actually. But I do know the Dallas legal market pretty well.

Because someone thought I was being defensive about Texas, so I was clarifying my position.

Other than that, it was all about what the best law school for Texas is, which is the exact thing the OP wanted to know.

Apparently, one dig at UT and I am anti-Texas trolling this thread, even though I was just stating the facts in the post I quoted. Apparently I was right...facts not your liking means flaming.

You're kind of an idiot.
mcflooter06 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:However, to get biglaw you DO need to be top ~10%.
So how exactly does this = SMU placing better into Dallas BigLaw than UT?

As was stated, there are a great deal of firms in Dallas that pay market, but are not considered "BigLaw." Dallas doesn't work like DC or NYC, not in the least bit.

EDIT: There is really no need to get so defensive, we're both just stating what we know. Obviously, I chose UT..
Yeah I'm the idiot. It's almost as if you were so desperate to let your anti-TX views be known that you responded to someone who wasnt even talking to/about you.
kalvano wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I don't see why you would stay in Texas if you are in the top portion of the UT class.
Because people love living in Texas?

Which again validates another of my theories on people.
kalvano wrote:Not quite so flattering.

Kind of sad.
trust me, it got tiring fast.
Richie Tenenbaum wrote: You seem like a douche.
+1

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Because that's all I ever mentioned in this thread.

Like I said, you're kind of an idiot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:54 pm

kalvano wrote:Because that's all I ever mentioned in this thread.

oh i hadnt realized that as long as you trolled for only some of your comments in a thread, then it wasnt considered trolling at all

tbf, i was interested in the discussion you and RVP were having about the dallas market, etc., but then you just ended up making yourself look like an ass

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:58 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

oh i hadnt realized that as long as you trolled for only some of your comments in a thread, then it wasnt considered trolling at all

tbf, i was interested in the discussion you and RVP were having about the dallas market, etc., but then you just ended up making yourself look like an ass

TBF, you're still an idiot. It's not "trolling" to openly dislike a place, or to make it clear. This is trolling -

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/membe ... le&u=58286

If I had spent the entire thread posting nothing but "tX sux l0l", that would be trolling.

In fact, given your participation in this thread, which has basically been taking shots at me, you're pretty much the troll.

I'm sorry* you don't like me, and feel that taking one shot at UT and making it clear I don't care for Texas in a thread about Texas is "trolling". That's perhaps the thing I hate most about Texans is their inability to tolerate anything even slightly negative about their state.

*Not really.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:10 pm

kalvano wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

TBF, you're still an idiot. It's not "trolling" to openly dislike a place, or to make it clear. This is trolling -

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/membe ... le&u=58286

If I had spent the entire thread posting nothing but "tX sux l0l", that would be trolling.

In fact, given your participation in this thread, which has basically been taking shots at me, you're pretty much the troll.

I'm sorry* you don't like me, and feel that taking one shot at UT and making it clear I don't care for Texas in a thread about Texas is "trolling". That's perhaps the thing I hate most about Texans is their inability to tolerate anything even slightly negative about their state.
your unsolicited pot shots at TX multiple times isnt trolling? sry, but if you had said "tx sux lol" the whole thread, that'd just be trolling harder. and dont lie to yourself; no one even asked you for your opinions on TX -- you just wanted to jump in about it badly (and it has nothing to do w/ OP's question...he didnt ask (no one did really) if TX was an awesome place to live or not)

and i wasnt taking shots at you as much as i was encouraging you to troll more...because you were really in that annoying sticky spot. if you had trolled harder w/ the tx sux lol comments i would have found it funny (and thus enjoyable on a whole other level)...esp. if they were wittier trolls.

but it seems like you decided not to go that route, depriving me of even that small amount of humor i could have gotten from you.

you are right about one thing however...we're both doing a little bit of diff. trolling right now. your original trolls were a distraction from the thread, but our current tiff is as well, so ill stop. though aside from our conversation, i dont think much else is going to be discussed in here anymore. so if you're going to remain adamant about not providing me w/ some more laughable comments, not much reason to keep reading this thread.

ps - it isnt a very effective insult when you call me an idiot since i clearly know im not one. it'd be like calling a skinny guy fat in an inflammatory manner.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:13 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:ps - it isnt a very effective insult when you call me an idiot since i clearly know im not one. it'd be like calling a skinny guy fat in an inflammatory manner.

You know what they say about insane people...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”