Best Career for making $$$$$ Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
stoicjustice

New

Re: Best Career for making $$$$$

Post by stoicjustice » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:49 am

There are a lot of great ideas here. To address a few questions - we are all enlisted - mostly NCOs though. I understand what you are saying about the whole officer/enlisted dichotomy and it makes me sick as well.

I have presented the idea of going back for a 2nd bachelors to try and break the way into engineering or a similar discipline but this is usually met with a bit of hesitation. They all, and I would include myself here, don't really want to head back to do undergrad work.

Speaking to the above person who said that the potential for making money is higher in the legal field today than it is in medicine, teaching, etc. - I respectfully disagree. I understand that subjective opinions do not prove objective fact but start a poll on this site and see how many people agree with that statement - particularly in the forum rooms for current law students. I think the outlook, even for the cream of the crop, is not quite as bright as you may think it is. Hard work definetly pays off - but being in the right place at the right time is also of monumental importance.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:20 am

i think that a MS in a tech field would most likely require 1 year of u-grad coursework before entry at a minimum. as an example, see northeastern:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/graduate/degreep ... admissions

"Applicants must submit an online application, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, a personal statement, official scores of the GRE General Test, and three letters of recommendation. International students must also submit official scores of the TOEFL examination. Acceptance to the College of Computer and Information Science is granted upon recommendation of the college Graduate Committee after a review of the completed application.
Candidates must have completed the undergraduate material listed below.

• Experience in some high level procedural language, e.g. C, C++, Java, Scheme, or Pascal
• Data Structures
• Computer Organization
• One year of college calculus
• Discrete Mathematics "

The most straightforward way to meet those requirements would be a semester or two of coursework. after that, they could do the MS in two years.

The only lucrative field I can think of breaking in without much education or experience is actuarial. The hiring is primarily exam based, so if you pass the exams, you can get into the track. Unfortunately the exams are very difficult, so you need a strong talent in math to succeed.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:46 am

englawyer wrote: The most straightforward way to meet those requirements would be a semester or two of coursework. after that, they could do the MS in two years.
Most MS require between 33 - 42 credits I think, not including pre-requisites. You should be able to finish it in 2 years including the prereqs. You could do 9 credits/3 courses per semester + 2 summers, or 12/4 semester + 1 summer. It would really help if you know how to program in Java at an intermediate level. C is VERY easy to learn, C++ similar to Java. The problem with MS in CS is, if you don't know how to efficiently program, you are going to have a hell of a time taking ANY of the prereq classes, because Data Structures is learned by studying actual data structures, and to learn it you have to test out your learnings by making programs.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:47 am

r6_philly wrote:
englawyer wrote: The most straightforward way to meet those requirements would be a semester or two of coursework. after that, they could do the MS in two years.
Most MS require between 33 - 42 credits I think, not including pre-requisites. You should be able to finish it in 2 years including the prereqs. You could do 9 credits/3 courses per semester + 2 summers, or 12/4 semester + 1 summer. It would really help if you know how to program in Java at an intermediate level. C is VERY easy to learn, C++ similar to Java. The problem with MS in CS is, if you don't know how to efficiently program, you are going to have a hell of a time taking ANY of the prereq classes, because Data Structures is learned by studying actual data structures, and to learn it you have to test out your learnings by making programs.
agreed, it would depend on prior programming proficiency whether or not it would take 2 or 3 years. in any case, my point is that you do not need a BS Computer Science to get admitted, as you just seconded :P

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 am

englawyer wrote:
agreed, it would depend on prior programming proficiency whether or not it would take 2 or 3 years. in any case, my point is that you do not need a BS Computer Science to get admitted, as you just seconded :P
Sorry, forgot to confirm that lol Actually the MS core classes are the same as the UG core classes, only more in depth. Personally I think the only problem anyone who isn't a CS major maybe have is Data Structures. But you would need to know Discrete Math, Calculus and prior programming to even have a chance at it. Knowing Java is specially beneficial because building data structures and traversing through them require a thorough understanding of pointers and objects and most people have difficulty with it.

I still think a MIS degree is the way to go. I have talked 2 friends out of majoring in CS and do MIS/IT instead. You learn how to work with computer without the "science" part. The best part is, you get to work above the CS grads :(

PhD is a different story. I think you would have to show a life long dedication and passion for CS to be admitted to a reputable CS PhD program. Computer Scientists are serious about their craft. One of the my professors who likes me a lot didn't want me to go to law school. He told me that I am "wasting my talents". He wants me to do a PhD. He made me feel bad! :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stoicjustice

New

Post by stoicjustice » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:25 pm

I have actually spoken with several CS grads and it seems that their job prospects are spotty as well. The tech boom seemed to pump out a lot of CS grads so I feel MIS may actually be the better path. The MBA with IT emphasis really seems like a safe option as it has the added benefit of being an MBA so even if the job didn't implement the IT portion - the grad still has an MBA.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:33 pm

IT'S SO SIMPLE

start a multimillion dollar business

become hedge fund manager

develop a number of lucrative patents

win lottery

inherit fortune

professional trust fund beneficiary

(Note that lawyer is not included...the best you can reasonably hope for in law is to be among the small percentage of grads with a good chance of making low six figures most of their life for working hard...not "rich" at all in the normal meaning of the term which I assume is what you mean by $$$$$.)

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:48 pm

If you really get 100% of tuition you might look at being a DENTIST.

I only say this because dentistry seems to be the most unabashed of all the professions in erecting barriers to entry in the form of high tuition. I think the schools can cost something like 70k A YEAR. So it seems like this would be way to capitalize most on free tuition.

Confus3d

New

Post by Confus3d » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Medicine is NOT a good way to make money. Minimum, med school + residency will take you 7 years, and that's for family practice which pays ~$150k. Keep in mind med school costs $150-200k. Also keep in mind that Washington and the public have decided that doctor's are greedy and should cut their reimbursements. With healthcare reform passing, many specialties will be looking at large pay cuts, and the future of medicine is very uncertain right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:37 pm

bigben wrote:If you really get 100% of tuition you might look at being a DENTIST.

I only say this because dentistry seems to be the most unabashed of all the professions in erecting barriers to entry in the form of high tuition. I think the schools can cost something like 70k A YEAR. So it seems like this would be way to capitalize most on free tuition.
I agree with Dentistry. Residency after Dental School isn't a requirement so you could immidietely practice dentistry for ~$120,000 a year. The limited hours and stress is a huge positive, I know dentists who only work 4 days a week and do the same procedures over and over.

However, gaining admittance to dentistry is very difficult and competive. They don't rank Dental schools so there really isn't a "lower tier" that you can sneak your way into. In one of the most populated states, California, there are only 5 dental schools. Most schools have a very small entering class too, most are around 70 students due to the high cost for equipment per student. So you're really looking at approximately 350-500 entering dental students in California, for comparison, Hastings+USF is around 500 law studnets alone. Not to mention the DAT isn't a cake walk... you probably need to have taken those courses in undergrad. Dentistry is certainly a top choice to consider... if you're appropriately prepared for it. Personally, I would choose dentistry > medicine.

Pharmacy may also be a good choice since pharmacists make around 90k. The standardized test isn't required for California schools so a 3.0gpa+ and a solid background could give u a competitve shot. BUT it is BORING.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:11 pm

If 90k is considered good money for a career (like pharm) then you can aim for any kind of mind numbing middle management. HR manager, sales manager, anything manager. A BA in BA, a MBA in anything, you will work your way to around 100k with minimal skills/talent/effort. I think if you can earn a BA and/or a MBA you should possess what it takes. Need politics and people skills though.

I can't look at the inside of people's month all day.

But I think with 5 "$" in the title, 90k is a bit too low for discussion.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:If 90k is considered good money for a career (like pharm) then you can aim for any kind of mind numbing middle management. HR manager, sales manager, anything manager. A BA in BA, a MBA in anything, you will work your way to around 100k with minimal skills/talent/effort. I think if you can earn a BA and/or a MBA you should possess what it takes. Need politics and people skills though.

Well, I only brought up Pharmacy because 90k is a pretty good entry level salary. Additionally, Pharmacy isn't as a difficult to enter relative to the other medical fields. 90k is by no means the cap of pharmacists, it's only the typical entering salary.

100k for HR middle management is being a bit optimistic and is rare. Small companies get by with a 60-70k manager and larger companies aren't willing to hire entry level managers for 100k. This path would necessarily require a few years of work experience and as you mentioned - politics. There is still the possibility that you aren't a hot shot and you end up never breaking a 75k salary in HR in your life.

I'm assuming by "month" you mean mouths. Yes, doing dental work isn't for everyone. But some like dentistry for the hands-on part of things. It's the art, craft, and science altogether that some people find stimulating.

If you're able to get into the healthcare field then I'd choose that over middle management. However, not everyone has a science background and therefore the middle management path is a great option to consider.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:If 90k is considered good money for a career (like pharm) then you can aim for any kind of mind numbing middle management. HR manager, sales manager, anything manager. A BA in BA, a MBA in anything, you will work your way to around 100k with minimal skills/talent/effort. I think if you can earn a BA and/or a MBA you should possess what it takes. Need politics and people skills though.

No way...you can TOP OUT at 100k after many years without much effort or talent, MAYBE. Pharmacists can START at 90k or even 120k I believe. Completely different.

I agree with your point that "$$$$$" in the thread title made it seem like we were talking really big money, but the ensuing discussion hasn't been about that at all so maybe that wasn't the point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stoicjustice

New

Post by stoicjustice » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:35 am

First off, I want to say that I think this thread is fantastic and holds a fair amount of value to nearly everyone who reads it. I have begun referring my Soldiers (yes, they require us to capitalize it in the Army) to this thread so that they can try and brainstorm some ideas. I encourage the discussion to continue.

I would say that I think most medical fields (including dentistry and pharmacy work) would probably be out as most of them do not have science backgrounds. Also, I did not intend to be misleading with the 5 $s - when I was writing that title the number I had in my head was the $120-$150 mark. AND I wasn't necessarily asking about jobs that would pay that for entry level work - but more-so about jobs that a reasonably hard worker could expect to make that amount in 2-4 years.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:36 pm

stoicjustice wrote:First off, I want to say that I think this thread is fantastic and holds a fair amount of value to nearly everyone who reads it. I have begun referring my Soldiers (yes, they require us to capitalize it in the Army) to this thread so that they can try and brainstorm some ideas. I encourage the discussion to continue.

I would say that I think most medical fields (including dentistry and pharmacy work) would probably be out as most of them do not have science backgrounds. Also, I did not intend to be misleading with the 5 $s - when I was writing that title the number I had in my head was the $120-$150 mark. AND I wasn't necessarily asking about jobs that would pay that for entry level work - but more-so about jobs that a reasonably hard worker could expect to make that amount in 2-4 years.
I'm still on the accounting bandwagon if they like that sort of work. The Big 4 firms love Soldiers, and CAs/CPAs can reasonably expect to make 100k+ 2-4 years after getting the designation.

treezie

New

Post by treezie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:50 am

Even ITE, the healthcare sector is growing. So maybe getting a degree in health information management or something of that sort. I've seen a lot of HIM majors go on to consultancy after working at hospitals for a few years. Not quite sure how much they make but they are all driving luxury cars.

BTW, make sure all your guys go and apply for VA compensation when they get out :).

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:52 am

I haven't read a single post, but the only credited answer is to be the baby-daddy of Oprah or J.K. Rowling.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”