Living in Law/Grad Student Dorms

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tuna4

Living in Law/Grad Student Dorms

Postby tuna4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 pm

To me, it seems living close to or on campus would produce better results. Unfortunately, the school I plan on attending is in a seemingly rough neighborhood and the housing near campus is less than ideal. I was told that many students live in an area that is about a 10-20 minute drive away. In an effort to save money by not having to commute and to live close to campus I am considering living in the law/grad student dorm. I havent lived in a dorm since my freshman year in undergrad so I'm a little apprehensive about it for various reasons. Does anyone have any experience living in a law/grad student dorm on their campus? Thanks.

Cavalier

Re: Living in Law/Grad Student Dorms

Postby Cavalier » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Single or double occupancy rooms?

tuna4

Postby tuna4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm not sure actually, but I can see where you are going with that. Lets say they are single.

tuna4

Postby tuna4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 pm

I checked and they are single, but you share a bathroom with the adjoining room.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Well, as long as the rooms are single-occupancy, I don't see any major downside. It depends on the particular dorm though.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Have you checked the cost of the dorms versus the cost of an apartment in the area (factoring in the number of roommates you intend to have)? On-campus housing is often (usually?) more expensive than off-campus, particularly if you intend to have a roommate. Whereas a 10-20 minute commute probably won't cost you that much, unless it would require your buying a car that you wouldn't buy if you were going to live in the dorms.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:03 am

pearl_earrings wrote:The rooms would have to be single occupancy.
As long as that's covered, I think it would be okay. The one time this would be tough is during exams. You're surrounded by other people in your program who are super stressed out, and it's tough to escape.

This was the first thing that came to mind. I'm actually looking for housing at least a mile or two away from my school so that I'm not too close to my classmates during finals hysteria. I don't think I'd want to live that close to other law students, observe their study habits, continuously compare mine to theirs, etc.

Return to “Law School FAQ”