Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much money do law professors make?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:28 pm 

Just curious. Any idea what the range for salaries is? I'm curious how much professors at schools like Harvard earn. Anybody have information on professor salaries in general(including undergrad, etc.)? I have a sense, but no definite figures. If you're just speculating, please don't.

Post subject: Re: How much money do law professors make?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 pm 

google gave me this:

http://blog.ericgoldman.org/personal/ar ... sor_s.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:36 pm 

I go to a public t2 in the midwest so the salaries are probably pretty low, but they are public record so you can look them up. My professors last semester ranged from 85k to 125k.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:37 pm 

http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2009/03 ... ries-.html

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/errwpc/publ ... 14612.html

Usually $120,000+ for a law professor. Undergrad professors make much less, except at maybe the very top schools.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:38 pm 

Michigan publishes its salaries:
http://data.michigandaily.com/tmdsal?de ... me=&lname=

It says it doesn't include bonuses or anything, and many professors will have outside income from consulting, law firm work, book royalties, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:52 pm 

Reinhardt wrote:
Michigan publishes its salaries:
http://data.michigandaily.com/tmdsal?de ... me=&lname=

It says it doesn't include bonuses or anything, and many professors will have outside income from consulting, law firm work, book royalties, etc.

Arbitration fees and expert witness fees can add up. I remember signing checks for 1,600+ expenses for an arbitrator for a half day of his time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09 pm 

The pay is decent, but honestly, would you really want to be a law professor? They seem monotonous, have long beards, are serious alcoholics, and don't seem like they would get alot. To me it just seems like a very boring job but like it says, the pay isnt bad at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 pm 

Law professors have it made, IMO. It is probably the best balance you can get between the least amount of work and the most amount of money (as far as things you can do with a JD). The salary isn't spectacular (like others have said, around $110,000 or so), but the additional income from consulting, writing, etc. can be pretty significant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:51 pm 

traehekat wrote:
Law professors have it made, IMO. It is probably the best balance you can get between the least amount of work and the most amount of money (as far as things you can do with a JD). The salary isn't spectacular (like others have said, around $110,000 or so), but the additional income from consulting, writing, etc. can be pretty significant.

You do make a compelling argument to be a law professor. It's just when I see a law professor, they just seem to have a boring life. Maybe when I am in my 40's or 50's I would consider it. What credentials do you need to become one really?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:52 pm 

JacobyEllz wrote:
traehekat wrote:

You do make a compelling argument to be a law professor. It's just when I see a law professor, they just seem to have a boring life. Maybe when I am in my 40's or 50's I would consider it. What credentials do you need to become one really?

Top of your class and law review at HYS.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm 

Tenured professors make over $200,000.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 pm 

Dean Sager at UT-Austin pulls in $380k. (Interestingly enough, the dean of the McCombs School of Business pulls in $525k).

http://www.texastribune.org/library/dat ... at-austin/

For more UT Law salaries:

http://www.texastribune.org/library/dat ... /law/1510/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 pm 

JacobyEllz wrote:
The pay is decent, but honestly, would you really want to be a law professor? They seem monotonous, have long beards, are serious alcoholics, and don't seem like they would get alot. To me it just seems like a very boring job but like it says, the pay isnt bad at all.

Doubt they are any more alcoholic than lawyers in general

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:03 pm 

Given the credentials of most professors (HYS, or top of the class at a T10 school), they make far less than what the could be earning in the private sector. The same cannot be said for most other fields of academia, particularly the liberal arts.