Loyola Law scholarship: Top 30% stipulation Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
eschilli

New

Re: Loyola Law scholarship: Top 30% stipulation

Post by eschilli » Mon May 03, 2010 6:44 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Accept scholarship, if you lose the scholarship, drop out. Anyone who isn't in the top [strike]30%[/strike] 10% at Loyola is absolutely fucked for employment prospects anyway.

Edit to add: What are the "other schools"? Because it's really impossible to know whether you "really like" Loyola, and law schools in general are awfully fungible. My experience as a transfer has largely been "meh, law school is law school, I'm just paying for a fancier diploma and the quarter system."

ASU, UC Davis, Indiana, SMU, Colorado.

I am mostly considering ASU, Loyola, and UC Davis.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon May 03, 2010 6:57 pm

[strike]... the schools you are considering make little sense; they don't point to any single market. If you're interested in the Chicago market, you need to be considering Indiana, depending on the money comparison with Loyola. If you're not interested in Chicago, then Loyola needs to come off your list. Etc. All of these schools are incredibly regional.[/strike]

I am stupid, you're talking Loyola LA. What is the cost comparison between Loyola and UC-Davis?

eschilli

New

Post by eschilli » Mon May 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Loyola, with thr 84k scholarship, would cost around 12k a year (if I keep scholarship). UC davis would cost about 40k for y1, and about 30k for y2 and y3. Average grant for Davis is around 12k a year (or maybe 11.5), so I am possibly liiking at 28k for y1, and 18k fo y2 and y3 for Davis. Davis is definitely a way better school. I was surprised by how many alumni Davis has in the SoCal market as well.

eschilli

New

Post by eschilli » Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Does anyone know what % of people with scholarships at Loyola finish in the top 30% of their 1L class and keep their scholarship?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:12 pm

eschilli wrote:Does anyone know what % of people with scholarships at Loyola finish in the top 30% of their 1L class and keep their scholarship?
Nowhere near all of them. Schools will often give something stupid like 25% of the class a scholarship with a top 30% requirement. It's money saving for the school - nothing else. A total bait and switch. Signifies a massive lack of respect.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Tue May 04, 2010 9:17 pm

disco_barred wrote:
eschilli wrote:Does anyone know what % of people with scholarships at Loyola finish in the top 30% of their 1L class and keep their scholarship?
Nowhere near all of them. Schools will often give something stupid like 25% of the class a scholarship with a top 30% requirement. It's money saving for the school - nothing else. A total bait and switch. Signifies a massive lack of respect.
+50.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue May 04, 2010 9:27 pm

disco_barred wrote:
It could be a lot worse than that. There is a school I visited that gave me a very nice scholarship with a top 40% stipulation. An adcomm casually mentioned that 70% of their students got aid. Even if we assume there were some superstars who got full rides with no strings attached, and some who negotiated need based aid (hopefully no strings attached to that), I didn't like my chances. They would not have even had to section stack.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri May 07, 2010 9:11 am

They do both, from what I understand. I know that students transferring to UCLA have been offered scholarship money to stay--I doubt that comes with any strings, or it wouldn't be much of an enticement. I also had a friend who was offered a full ride (ultimately went to a Top 5 instead)--I don't know if there were conditions on that (but will ask.) When they say the conditions can't be removed, that may be specific to the regular scholarships given at admission. I'm too late for any regular merit scholarship money, so I haven't looked at it very carefully. I need to investigate need-based options, being effectively flat broke (on paper, through this years returns) and hopefully those work a little differently.

EDIT: There are no need-based options. Whee!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”