Loyola Law scholarship: Top 30% stipulation

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
eschilli

Loyola Law scholarship: Top 30% stipulation

Postby eschilli » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:01 am

I have been offered a rather large scholarship to Loyola LAw in L.A. The only problem is that I lose it if I don't stay in the top 30% of my class. I have been offered scholarships from much better schools, but I really like Loyola. However, no other school has this requirement for the scholarship, and it is really making me not want to go there. Is there any way to get this stipulation removed?

D. H2Oman

Re: Loyola Law scholarship: Top 30% stipulation

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:30 am

eschilli wrote:I have been offered a rather large scholarship to Loyola LAw in L.A. The only problem is that I lose it if I don't stay in the top 30% of my class. I have been offered scholarships from much better schools, but I really like Loyola. However, no other school has this requirement for the scholarship, and it is really making me not want to go there. Is there any way to get this stipulation removed?

Ask.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:02 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
eschilli wrote:I have been offered a rather large scholarship to Loyola LAw in L.A. The only problem is that I lose it if I don't stay in the top 30% of my class. I have been offered scholarships from much better schools, but I really like Loyola. However, no other school has this requirement for the scholarship, and it is really making me not want to go there. Is there any way to get this stipulation removed?

Ask.

+1. However, if they say no, be wary of this.. Honestly, there's NO guarantee where you'll end up in the class no matter how hard you work. If you couldn't see yourself paying the sticker price for 2L and 3L, then don't go there. Loyola has gotten some flack for some iffy rules in previous years (last year I remember something about not letting students who had applied to transfer out participate in OCI, even if they ultimately decided to stay at the school)

You might also want to ask what percentage of students are given a similar offer, what percentage of students keep their scholarship offer after the first year, and/or whether scholarship students are put in the same section or spread evenly across the class. If they give scholarships like this to a large portion of the class, or put all of the scholarship kids together, that should be a warning sign - as it's inevitable that not everyone can be in the top 30%. The school should have some data on this, and I would think that if they refuse to give it to you, that should send up a red flag.

Proceed with caution 8)

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:02 am

--ImageRemoved--

With that kind of class rank stipulation, I'd be shocked if they weren't section stacking their scholarship kids. Besides, you go to Loyola and the best possible outcome is ending up like this guy:
--LinkRemoved--

eschilli

Postby eschilli » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:24 pm

I believe about 25% get scholarships. Mine was the next biggest to a full ride ($84,000), which not a ton of people get. I am several points above their 75th percentile LSAT and GPA, so statistically I should have a decent shot at being in the top 30% of my class. However, those numbers really mean nothing and it is impossible to tell how well I will do in law school. I have offers from much higher ranked schools, but I really want to practice in LA (and I did not get into USC or UCLA). I am a little worried about staying in the top 30% of my class, because if I do not then I am stuck with a lot of debt.

tcam

Postby tcam » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm in exactly the same boat I'm afraid. $84K is great and the west coast sunshine is a big draw but the top 30% stipulation is really making me think twice.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 am

Scholarship stipulations are pure evil.

dlac

Postby dlac » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 pm

I am way skeptical of the LLS scholarship stipulation. I also got $84K for the incoming year. I have friends going there and they are by no means idiots yet struggling to maintain top grades.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Anyone have any success stories about getting the stipulation removed from these LLS scholarships. I would definitely try to negotiate with them.

Postby 270910 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 am

eschilli wrote:I am several points above their 75th percentile LSAT and GPA, so statistically I should have a decent shot at being in the top 30% of my class.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

eschilli wrote:However, those numbers really mean nothing and it is impossible to tell how well I will do in law school.

Exactly.

eschilli

Postby eschilli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:44 pm

disco_barred wrote:
eschilli wrote:I am several points above their 75th percentile LSAT and GPA, so statistically I should have a decent shot at being in the top 30% of my class.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

eschilli wrote:However, those numbers really mean nothing and it is impossible to tell how well I will do in law school.

Exactly.

There is no need to be condescending. I realize that my numbers mean nothing in terms of suggesting how well I will do in law school. The top 30% requirement is really scary to me. I really like the school but if I lose my scholarship then I am in a lot of trouble.

eschilli

Postby eschilli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:45 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Anyone have any success stories about getting the stipulation removed from these LLS scholarships. I would definitely try to negotiate with them.

I asked them. They will not remove it for anyone. Sorry.

eschilli

Postby eschilli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:48 pm

They told me that they offer scholarships to a smaller percentage of students compared to other schools. They also said that they evenly distribute the people with scholarships throughout the classes for the sake of fairness. Still, the whole thing worries me.

itzjulz wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Ask.

+1. However, if they say no, be wary of this.. Honestly, there's NO guarantee where you'll end up in the class no matter how hard you work. If you couldn't see yourself paying the sticker price for 2L and 3L, then don't go there. Loyola has gotten some flack for some iffy rules in previous years (last year I remember something about not letting students who had applied to transfer out participate in OCI, even if they ultimately decided to stay at the school)

You might also want to ask what percentage of students are given a similar offer, what percentage of students keep their scholarship offer after the first year, and/or whether scholarship students are put in the same section or spread evenly across the class. If they give scholarships like this to a large portion of the class, or put all of the scholarship kids together, that should be a warning sign - as it's inevitable that not everyone can be in the top 30%. The school should have some data on this, and I would think that if they refuse to give it to you, that should send up a red flag.

Proceed with caution 8)

eschilli

Postby eschilli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:50 pm

I have always wondered how many of the top 1L's try to transfer to UCLA, USC, or any of the other top California schools. I have heard that many ultimately decide to stay at Loyola.

itzjulz wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Ask.

Proceed with caution 8)

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:28 pm

Even if you could make it, do you realize how stressful that would be...
I'd be crapping my pants with worry every nite.

Oh and how would you like it at exam time... In addition to future job possibilities, thousands and thousands of dollars are also on the line.

No thank you.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:35 pm

In all likelihood, your section will be full of other people with big scholarships and stipulations. They will then weed certain people out of the scholarship pool, and there is a good chance you'll be one of them

Schools that offer scholarships with stipulations are downright unethical TTTs.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:27 am

romothesavior wrote:In all likelihood, your section will be full of other people with big scholarships and stipulations. They will then weed certain people out of the scholarship pool, and there is a good chance you'll be one of them

False. Depends on the stipulation.

A stipulation of staying in the top 2/3rds, and if you fall below that, you get to keep 1/2, is pretty legit to me?

I also think, a 50% stip is pretty legit, if you know what you're getting in to.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:10 am

Accepting a scholarship with a stipulation is a gamble. If you realize this, and you would still be happy playing the game, then go for it.

FYI, in one recent year, more than 28% of Loyola students received scholarships. http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA4403.pdf

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:20 am

At umiami, 82% of the 1L scholarship students ranked in the top 3rd. Since the primary determinant of scholly students is the gpa/LSAT function, that means that those metrics do mean something. I still would avoid these types of scholarships. The lower my rank, the more I need a scholarship, not less!

eschilli

Postby eschilli » Sat May 01, 2010 8:52 am

romothesavior wrote:In all likelihood, your section will be full of other people with big scholarships and stipulations. They will then weed certain people out of the scholarship pool, and there is a good chance you'll be one of them

That is incorrect. Scholarship students are spread out evenly throughout the sections.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat May 01, 2010 9:58 am

i have no opinion about scholarship stipulations. I have, however, found the admiral ackbar references to be like 99th percentile LOL

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sat May 01, 2010 10:27 am

What is the "best" school you have gotten into?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Accept scholarship, if you lose the scholarship, drop out. Anyone who isn't in the top [strike]30%[/strike] 10% at Loyola is absolutely fucked for employment prospects anyway.

Edit to add: What are the "other schools"? Because it's really impossible to know whether you "really like" Loyola, and law schools in general are awfully fungible. My experience as a transfer has largely been "meh, law school is law school, I'm just paying for a fancier diploma and the quarter system."

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:20 pm

miamiman wrote:i have no opinion about scholarship stipulations. I have, however, found the admiral ackbar references to be like 99th percentile LOL

+1

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun May 02, 2010 5:01 pm

Southwestern's stipulation is always 2.5. Loyola is kinda sleazy for requiring top 30 percent, IMO. They should just give fewer scholarships at entry and just reward good performance more after 1L.

Return to “Law School FAQ”